Quantcast Factory restore function M15x

Closed Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default Factory restore function M15x

Is there an F-key to hit during POST on the M15x that will restore from a recovery partition image? Or must one use the DVD restore discs only?

Global Biz Consultant

Default Re: Factory restore function M15x

The settings in the MBR are supposed to provide access to the restore partition. If for whatever reason you're not getting the option, then you will have to use the restore DVD.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by lordqarlyn View Post
    The settings in the MBR are supposed to provide access to the restore partition. If for whatever reason you're not getting the option, then you will have to use the restore DVD.
    ok do you know the f-key that accesses that partition on startup by chance?

Global Biz Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape View Post
    ok do you know the f-key that accesses that partition on startup by chance?
    I'm not sure if you can access the restore partition with an f-key. It's normally a hidden partition. If Windows is still usable, you could use tools to set the master boot record (MBR) to boot from the restore partition, which then you will see the screen "press any key to access Alien Respawn".

Otherwise, to my knowledge, you cannot edit the MBR in BIOS, but you might be able to set the restore partition to boot first, then restore your OS. Then set your OS partition as the boot.

Notebook Consultant

ok how does one access it for restore if not by f-key?

Vast Alien Conspiracy

Is there an F-key to hit during POST on the M15x that will restore from a recovery partition image? Or must one use the DVD restore discs only?
    Funny, I found this thread looking for this information
    Alienware M17x-R2 | Lunar Silver | Intel i7 820QM | 16GB DDR3 1333 MHz | 17" 1200P RGB LED | ATi Crossfire 1GB 4870Ms | Seagate Momentus XT 500GB/750GB HDDs
    Alienware M14x-R2 | Stealth Black | Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz | 900p WLED | 2GB NVIDIA GT 650M | 128GBSSD/500GB HDD
    Alienware M11x-R2 | Lunar Shadow | Intel i7-640M | 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz | 1GB NVIDIA GT335M | Seagate Momentus XT 500GB HDD [/SIZE]

And more...

Notebook Consultant

I hope this doesn't find you too late. The M15x uses a program called Dell Datasafe Local Backup for factory restores. You can access this program from launching the application from within Windows (it is on the Start Menu), or by using the F8 Windows Boot Options menu. Press F8 after the iniital POST screen (Alien Face), but before you see the Windows logo on the screen. There should be an option to repair Windows, which will launch you into a recovery mode that allows you to restore the system. This option is available even if you have uninstalled the Dell DataSafe Local Backup app from Windows (I did, as its constant polling causes stutterin in Blu-Ray playback). Good luck!

Rich S.

Vast Alien Conspiracy

Quote Originally Posted by LinkRS View Post
    I hope this doesn't find you too late. The M15x uses a program called Dell Datasafe Local Backup for factory restores. You can access this program from launching the application from within Windows (it is on the Start Menu), or by using the F8 Windows Boot Options menu. Press F8 after the iniital POST screen (Alien Face), but before you see the Windows logo on the screen. There should be an option to repair Windows, which will launch you into a recovery mode that allows you to restore the system. This option is available even if you have uninstalled the Dell DataSafe Local Backup app from Windows (I did, as its constant polling causes stutterin in Blu-Ray playback). Good luck!

Rich S.
    Dude, you simply rock, that is EXACTLY what I was trying to find.

+1 Rep
    Alienware M17x-R2 | Lunar Silver | Intel i7 820QM | 16GB DDR3 1333 MHz | 17" 1200P RGB LED | ATi Crossfire 1GB 4870Ms | Seagate Momentus XT 500GB/750GB HDDs
    Alienware M14x-R2 | Stealth Black | Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz | 900p WLED | 2GB NVIDIA GT 650M | 128GBSSD/500GB HDD
    Alienware M11x-R2 | Lunar Shadow | Intel i7-640M | 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz | 1GB NVIDIA GT335M | Seagate Momentus XT 500GB HDD [/SIZE]

And more...

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Docsteel View Post
    Dude, you simply rock, that is EXACTLY what I was trying to find.

+1 Rep
    Glad to be of help!