I will be purchasing an m14x r2 very soon and had a couple of questions.
1) Is there major difference between the i5 3210M and i7 3610QM in terms of gaming?
2) Is there a noticable difference between the 720p and 900p screen?
3) Would 1GB GT 650M be strong enough to play a game smoothly, and possible on a 1080p external monitor?
4) Nebula Red or Stealth Black?
Thanks. The reason I ask is because I really want to keep the cost as low as possible
1) I would buy the i5 if its only gaming, i7 if its needed in other applications.
2)900p is a must for me, the only thing in alienware pricing scheme which worths the money.
3)1gb 650m is enough no need for 2gb, no gain at all at those screen resolutions.
4)Color is totally personal but I prefer black as it looks more professional so if you go to a serious place you reduce the amount of strange looks (you get some because of aw uniqueness anyways)
1) I know the R1 was limited by the GPU since some people say the 650m GT is twice powerful as the 555m GT was I don't know if it's still the case, if you have the money to affort it go with the i7 because it's ivy bridge, if you don't have enough money wait them to release the i5 ivy bridge.
2) Yes for sure the resolution, 720p is 1366x768, 900p is 1600x900 so 900p is much better.
3) Yes 1GB is strong enough to play games smoothly 2GB wont change anything even on 1080p monitor, it'll only make a difference on really high resolution or multi monitors.