Quantcast Installing Linux on a M11x R1 a few Questions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Installing Linux on a M11x R1 a few Questions

Now I've recently found out that the m11x R1 is the only one of the 2 versions that has the ability to run linux.

Up until now I've had linux Installed on a Asus EEE w/ Ion, it runs great but its becoming a hassle to switch laptops all the time to do programing and gaming.

I just wanted to ask if there are any major Driver incompatibilities and other than the GPU switching are there any other freatures or drivers i'll be losing?

Mostly wondering things like Wifi (if I might lose the ability to use it) or touchpad or w.e else

Anyways Thank You

Notebook Deity

Default Re: Installing Linux on a M11x R1 a few Questions

I'm running Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.10 on mine currently (need to reinstall Windows 7 on my SSD, but haven't had a chance). It didn't work right (terminal on boot) until I changed the bios setting to be the Nvidia card only.

Wifi is fine, as well as the touchpad (scrolling and all). The only thing is the loss of battery life from not having the Intel GPU usable.

Notebook Evangelist

I am going to be using the Desktop version of the Ubuntu because of I've read that alot of ppl were having problems with drivers and limitations of the Netbook version, but I haven't heard of Remix version is that a custom version?

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by L1qu1d View Post
    I am going to be using the Desktop version of the Ubuntu because of I've read that alot of ppl were having problems with drivers and limitations of the Netbook version, but I haven't heard of Remix version is that a custom version?
    They may have changed the names over time (and evidently I haven't kept up). I have whatever the regular 10.10 Netbook version is called.

Notebook Evangelist

OH ok LOL! ok I was confused I was looking for it hahaha:P

Notebook Evangelist

ok well I installed it, it runs really well actually! Going to configure it later today.

Btw it runs just fine off of integrated I can't wait to start programming more ont his laptop!!!! LOL Good bye Asus (gf's Xmas present)

Edit:

Although it did give me a scare, Windows 7 took slightly longer to boot than usual:S. It ended up working in the end So I was relieved ahah

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by L1qu1d View Post
    ok well I installed it, it runs really well actually! Going to configure it later today.

Btw it runs just fine off of integrated I can't wait to start programming more ont his laptop!!!! LOL Good bye Asus (gf's Xmas present)

Edit:

Although it did give me a scare, Windows 7 took slightly longer to boot than usual:S. It ended up working in the end So I was relieved ahah
    Integrated graphics worked fine for me at first with whatever default VGA driver Ubuntu had, but once I installed the Nvidia driver I had to change the bios setting. I think that when the IGP is being used the Nvidia GPU is still on, so there really isn't a reason to opt for using the Intel GPU. This is somewhat speculative; it's what the battery time remaining seemed to indicate.

Notebook Guru

Google linux switchable graphics. There is a community group where the nvidia gpu can be disabled. It does so via the power management system I think. Not 100% sure. The graphics in bios is still set to switchable and the nvidia card still works in windows. You can use the intel graphics in linux with longer battery life. It does work, I have tested it and my battery life jumps from just under 4 hrs to 6 hrs. Hope you come right.

Notebook Guru

Notebook Evangelist

I dont really need my Nvidia Card for Linux, I just need intel.

So if I leave it to switchable in Bios it enables only intel right? The Nvidia is off?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast