Quantcast M11x Hinge/Screen touching Keyboard Discussion (R1 & R2)

View Poll Results: M11x Hinge Alligment

Voters
487. You may not vote on this poll
  • M11x R1: No contact between screen and keyboard

64 13.14%
  • M11x R1: Screen is touching the keyboard

177 36.34%
  • M11x R2: No contact between screen and keyboard

79 16.22%
  • M11x R2: Screen is touching the keyboard

167 34.29%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 155 123451151101 ... LastLast
    NBR Expert of Nothing

Default M11x Hinge/Screen touching Keyboard Discussion (R1 & R2)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NBR MODERATOR note:

FYI to all viewing this thread for the first time - just as a general warning, you will come across several 'do it yourself' fixes to this reported hinge 'issue'.
    First, there are many owners who have no problems with the hinge on their system. This does not mean that an issue does not exist. This is simply to point out that not all have experienced this. With that being said, I want to be sure this is clear so there is no confusion:

Like any other issue which may come up while you are under warranty - if you develop a problem with your system, contact support. I cannot stress this enough. Your system is covered, do not take matters into your own hands only to make it worse.

If you are out of warranty, then yes, you can certainly choose to perform one of these 'repairs'. If you are in the warranty period - as I understand it, doing this will VOID your warranty. If in fact your hinge breaks, let Dell deal with it. Why risk voiding your warranty?

-BB

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The M11x seems to have a chronic problem with misaligned hinges which has so far resulted in damages to screens and hinges

Please do this quick test to determine if your hinges are properly aligned.

1. Cut a 4" wide strip out of a sheet of paper
    2. Lay it on your M11x keyboard with one end sticking out on the left or right side
    3. Close the screen and try to pull/push the sheet out/in of the closed lid.

If the paper cannot be slided in/out freely then your screen is touching your keyboard which indicate the hinges are improperly aligned and overtime this could lead to a damaged screen or hinges falling apart.

NEW

This thread was originally started to assess the percentage of M11x with the screen touching the keyboard and possibly determine if this was a defect. It has since morphed into an all hinge related thread. The information below is a summary of what has been going on...

The quote below is from the resident Dell Rep telling us it's normal for the screen to touch the keyboard. This was his last contribution to this thread and as far as I know to any hinge related thread... Please feel free to provide link to any subsequent posting from erawneila regarding hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by erawneila View Post
    You do not need to get your display or machine replaced because the keyboard is leaving marks on the screen. Just clean them off with a cloth. Every portable I've used for the past 10 years has had this issue - this is not a design problem with the M11x. Replacing the LCD **WILL NOT** change this.

If your hinges are broken, then call support to get a display replacement.

The questions below remain unanswered

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodan View Post
    We have ~70% of the respondents reporting their screen it touching the keyboard. The other 30% reports their screen is not touching the keyboard.

We all know that when a screen is in contact with the keyboard bad things can happen ranging from smudges on the screen to actual scratches.

Brian, the current Dell Rep., has commented that the screen touching the keyboard is normal.

So here some questions for Dell...

Which is normal, the keyboard touching the screen or the keyboard not touching the screen? Are they both normal? Why are we seeing such a range in screen keyboard spacing from one unit to another?
    This previous post from me about the hinges...

It's a shame Dell is not being more proactive in addressing the hinge issue. The lack of feedback from them regarding this is telling of how they value their customers.

Now on the R2... The base is possibly different as the ports on the left side are differently located. Does that mean they have possibly corrected the issue in the R2? Any R2 owner noticing clicking hinges on they system?
    Got us this response from the Dell Rep stating the cracking/popping issue had been corrected...

Quote Originally Posted by erawneila View Post
    Guys, I don't know how many times I can post this here, if you are having cracking or popping hinges, contact support to get a replacement LCD assembly. The issues with the LCD panel that caused the popping noises when opening the display have been resolved for both the R1 and R2. For those of you applying pressure to the LCD panel edge when opening it (in order to replicate), don't do that. Putting a large amount of pressure on the display WILL cause a problem with this or any other laptop.
    And so far my all time favourite is the other Dell Rep who posted on the Dell Forums that a fix had been put in place in the last week of June and later removed his post. Check it out in this post from slickie88

What people have reported so far...

• Uneven gap on the left or right side hinge
    • The lid sits uneven protruding out the base when it is closed
    • Keyboard smudging screen when lid is closed
    • Keyboard scratching screen when lid is closed
    • Hinge dislocating
    • Hinge cracking/snapping/becoming damaged

Here's a link to the first post of the Fixing the M11x weak hinge creaking/cracking problem. Screen opened! thread which has very good pictures of a defective hinge/screen. Great thank you to jonjonk for the pictures!

And finally what could be the fix the Dell Reps have posted about... Cherude posted picture here of what seems to be 2 different set of nuts used to fasten the hinges inside the lid.

We have little information from Dell on the hinge issue and this is troubling. One would think a corporation would go out of their way to resolve what seems so far like a defect that will potentially affect all M11x shipped prior to the alleged fixe being put in place. Alienware is after all supposed to be a top notch quality/performance brand which customer pay a substantial premium to own.

My recommendation is that potential customers should be cautious in purchasing this system. We know there's an issue with the hinge and we do not know if it was fixed.

UPDATE:

Be Aware of the latest comment posted 08/25 on this board by Dell Rep which seems to indicate the hinge issue has not yet been resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by DELLChrisM View Post
    This is still under investigation. Thank you for all the data provided.
    Last edited by BatBoy; 22nd November 2010 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Update mod note at top of thread
    Macbook Pro Retina 13" 2013 | Core i5 2.6GHz | 8GB | 512GB SSD
    iPad Mini Retina | 32GB

Master of Puppets

Default Re: M11x Hinges Alligment Pool (R1 & R2)

Is it possible to adjust the hinge alignment?

Notebook Deity

I dont even need to perform the test with mine! I can visibly see marks and grease on my screen where it has sat against the keys
    So far no damage though.
    Now using - Dell Precision m4600, M6600 & Apple MBP15 2011 HR

Sold - M17x r3, M14x, M11x r1 & r3, MBP 17" 2011 MBA 13" 2010, studio xps 15, studio xps 1640, xps 1530 and too many clevo's!

Notebook Evangelist

There are a few tiny but permanent nicks right where the grid of oils appear that, no doubt, came from contact with keys.

My hinge ALSO started squeaking and the left side sometimes scrapes when opening:
    Video of M11x R1 squeaky/rubbing hinge and sleep issue (freezes hard when lid is closed before completely entering sleep)
    (video included)
    Last edited by CZroe; 19th June 2010 at 03:09 PM.

NBR Expert of Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by slickie88 View Post
    Is it possible to adjust the hinge alignment?
    No Idea, it seem they are positioned slightly too low which is causing the contact between the keyboard and screen while the front of the lid has a gap btween the base.
    iPad Mini Retina | 32GB

Notebook Evangelist

No Idea, it seem they are positioned slightly too low which is causing the contact between the keyboard and screen while the front of the lid has a gap btween the base.
    I've 2 units now with 2 screen replacements. The way the hinge sits in the base - there is no "room" for alignment or adjustment - there's 2 specific slots where the hinge assembly fits directly in - with screws to place it/connect it to the base. I should note that your paper trick - is somewhat vague - if I pull lightly on the piece of paper - it doesn't budge. However, if I pull a little harder - the paper does come out.. I voted that it's touching the screen - based on the fact that I have to exert some force in order to get the paper to pull out...

My latest screen - (a replacement) "clicks" - however - the click is actually in the screen hinge itself - not on the base. The click had gone away for awhile - thought it had worked itself out - but now it's back - but much quieter / less noticeable.

If it continues to pose a problem - I'll ask for another screen and/or replacement system. As for the hinge and how the screen sits on the unit - I'm fairly certain that's the design. I've purchased a kabuto mouse pad and am using that as a screen protector to place between the keyboard and screen when I have it closed, etc.
    Alienware M11X | Cosmic Black | SU7300 | 4GB RAM | BT << refunded - new unit ordered 4/15 - received 4/22
    Dell 11z | Black | Celeron 743 | 2GB RAM | 160GB HD
    Dell Mini 10v | Slimed | Atom N270 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HD
    Acer 5610z | T2250 | 2GB RAM | 120 GB HD
    Click HERE for info on how to re-install your Alienware Backgrounds and Avatars.

Master of Puppets

I've been using the insert that shipped with the laptop in order to protect things. Won't probably last very long so I'll have to find something comparable to use after that.

Notebook Evangelist

I can pull the piece of paper, it doesn't slide but does move with a little force.. I've never had problems with the keyboard marking/scratching the screen so I assume my hinges are properly aligned.
    Rig | AMD Athlon II X4 620 (2.6ghz) | 4GB DDR3 RAM | 500GB 7200rpm HDD | ATi Radeon 5750

Evesham Quest Roma (MSI-1029) 15.4" |1.8ghz AMD Turion | 1GB DDR Ram | 80GB 5400rpm HDD | 128MB ATi Radeon x700 | Since 2005

Alienware M11x | Cosmic Black | SU7300 C2D OC'd 1.73ghz | 2GB Ram | 320GB 7200rpm HDD | NVIDIA GT335M

NBR Expert of Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Bendak View Post
    I can pull the piece of paper, it doesn't slide but does move with a little force.. I've never had problems with the keyboard marking/scratching the screen so I assume my hinges are properly aligned.
    Then your hinges are not aligned properly. There should be not contact whatsoever so the paper should slide in and out freely.
    iPad Mini Retina | 32GB

Notebook Evangelist

Ah, unfortunate. The poll will not be accurate because i voted against having a poorly aligned hinge. Seems like 2/3 M11x's have this problem making it the prevalent niggle of this unit.
    Rig | AMD Athlon II X4 620 (2.6ghz) | 4GB DDR3 RAM | 500GB 7200rpm HDD | ATi Radeon 5750

Evesham Quest Roma (MSI-1029) 15.4" |1.8ghz AMD Turion | 1GB DDR Ram | 80GB 5400rpm HDD | 128MB ATi Radeon x700 | Since 2005

Alienware M11x | Cosmic Black | SU7300 C2D OC'd 1.73ghz | 2GB Ram | 320GB 7200rpm HDD | NVIDIA GT335M

Page 1 of 155 123451151101 ... LastLast