Quantcast Windows 8 on m15x - ACPI error

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Windows 8 on m15x - ACPI error

    Hi guys,
    so i have this m15x (the very first one) that is begining to show age. i thought that since w8 is supposed to be thinner and faster, it would be a great fit.
    BUT:
    if i try to install w8 on it, the installation always dies with an acpi error. now i'm really screwed, i dont even know what acpi is. i can assume thet it has something to do with the bios, and that is already screwed with the m15x with bios lock, the non-support that it enjoys and the weird discontinued dual graphicscard thing.
    if someone was able to install w8 on one, i would love to hear that and how you did it.
    i hope that a solution to this is possible, and thank you for your time.

  2. #2
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    385
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Windows 8 on m15x - ACPI error

    Quote Originally Posted by das1234 View Post
    Hi guys,
    so i have this m15x (the very first one) that is begining to show age. i thought that since w8 is supposed to be thinner and faster, it would be a great fit.
    BUT:
    if i try to install w8 on it, the installation always dies with an acpi error. now i'm really screwed, i dont even know what acpi is. i can assume thet it has something to do with the bios, and that is already screwed with the m15x with bios lock, the non-support that it enjoys and the weird discontinued dual graphicscard thing.
    if someone was able to install w8 on one, i would love to hear that and how you did it.
    i hope that a solution to this is possible, and thank you for your time.
    From reading I think it has to do w/ the Nvidia card. Similar to how you Nvidia m15x users have to use old drivers because of the hybrid integrated / discrete video.

    If I had to guess I would say that the Nvidia drivers win 8 uses simply do not support this feature. Again, just a guess. Someone out there may have a solution.

    I would either stick with Windows 7 or slap in a AMD 3870, 4850, 4870 and see if win 8 works with that.
    Alienware m5750: ATI HD4850 - Intel Core 2 Duo T7600G - OCZ Agility 2 240GB - G.Skill DDR2 667 4GB 4-4-4-12 - 1920 x 1200 WUXGA Screen - UJ-120 Blu-ray

    4850 in a m5750!

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Windows 8 on m15x - ACPI error

    i just tried booting with the intel card by holding the right mouse button(i think thats what makes it work), same result. the install screen just shows ACPI_BIOS_ERROR.

    all i can find about it is from a guy who says bios flashing doesnt make the problem go away.

  4. #4
    Notebook Geek
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Windows 8 on m15x - ACPI error

    My 2 cents, If you think it is the nvidia card, take it out and that will force the PC to boot with the integrated graphics. (holding the mouse button never worked for me, idk why...)

  5. #5
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    385
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Windows 8 on m15x - ACPI error

    I agree that physically taking the nvidia card out to test is probably your best bet.
    Alienware m5750: ATI HD4850 - Intel Core 2 Duo T7600G - OCZ Agility 2 240GB - G.Skill DDR2 667 4GB 4-4-4-12 - 1920 x 1200 WUXGA Screen - UJ-120 Blu-ray

    4850 in a m5750!

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    santiago, chile
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Windows 8 on m15x - ACPI error

    Certainly ACPI_BIOS error is due to the changes with which our team has. I tested from x30 to x36 bios, giving the same error.
    Install from DVD, from dispostivo usb and even from a virtual drive just mounting the iso image and creating a dual boot and no case of installing Windows 8 in the Area 51 m15x R1. The Phoenix bios not compatible in this version (so far).
    For desert I have problems with fans, ThermoFan temperature is below 20 degrees Celsius for about GPUZ, spin at 2590 RPM forever, so leave the direct motor, any ideas to help me, I have the X36 bios.
    regards

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Windows 8 on m15x - ACPI error

    i'll stick with W7 then, W8 isnt worth risking my 8800gtx.
    i'm glad this thing still works whenever i look at the temperatures it reaches.
    and i dont feel like i know what i'm doing fiddling with the heatsink and whatnot to remove it.
    thanks though, i guess this will become an issue again for more people once W8 becomes available outside of MSDN. as far as i could tell this has existed since beta with various similar models and has not been fixed since.

  8. #8
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Windows 8 on m15x - ACPI error

    Alright, this is what I know from personal experience and from speaking at length with the legacy support reps that help the Area51-m15x (pre-Dell) and also MSFT because I wanted to check on a few things with them about the issue... Spoiler alert: I'm waiting on my new Alienware m14x r2 (which has been delayed) because of this issue.

    I purchased the m15x in June 2008 with Windows Vista at the time. I upgraded to Windows 7 x64 Ultimate with no issues, except some of the command center stuff got screwy and I gave up on it awhile back as all lighting has just been stuck on blue for the part while.

    I have on all my computers already Windows 8 Pro (from MSFT), except my m15x. It indeed has the Nvidia 8800GTX with the screwy "hybrid" power that haven't been able to accept driver updates since the year 2008 or 2009... Anyway after trying all combinations of removals and replacements with no luck, and checking with MSFT and support for legacy Alienware systems at Dell, this error indeed came down to *drum roll* the BIOS.

    The firm answer to your next question: When will there be a BIOS update? Firm answer from parties responsible for such: never.

    So at this point in time, that configuration will not be able to be updated to Windows 8 Pro now, October 26, 2012, nor in the future for that matter. In fact, the good chance exists that all future Windows OS builds will not work either if they maintain the same ACPI check process that Windows 8 has... What it comes down to is, the motherboard has no issue with compliance, but the BIOS which needs an upgrade to allow to play nice with the ACPI 2.0 check... Unlike other OS versions, there is no way of bypassing that ACPI check right now.

    Anyway after much frustration, and the realization of the final outcome, I figured it was time for a new laptop and purchase an Alienware m14x r2 since those seem like they will be well updated and maintained in the future. And all legacy Alienware support representatives at Dell will first tell you the same thing: Your computer was never designed to work with any other OS than Vista...

  9. #9
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    385
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Windows 8 on m15x - ACPI error

    Quote Originally Posted by COMSECIntel View Post
    Alright, this is what I know from personal experience and from speaking at length with the legacy support reps that help the Area51-m15x (pre-Dell) and also MSFT because I wanted to check on a few things with them about the issue... Spoiler alert: I'm waiting on my new Alienware m14x r2 (which has been delayed) because of this issue.

    I purchased the m15x in June 2008 with Windows Vista at the time. I upgraded to Windows 7 x64 Ultimate with no issues, except some of the command center stuff got screwy and I gave up on it awhile back as all lighting has just been stuck on blue for the part while.

    I have on all my computers already Windows 8 Pro (from MSFT), except my m15x. It indeed has the Nvidia 8800GTX with the screwy "hybrid" power that haven't been able to accept driver updates since the year 2008 or 2009... Anyway after trying all combinations of removals and replacements with no luck, and checking with MSFT and support for legacy Alienware systems at Dell, this error indeed came down to *drum roll* the BIOS.

    The firm answer to your next question: When will there be a BIOS update? Firm answer from parties responsible for such: never.

    So at this point in time, that configuration will not be able to be updated to Windows 8 Pro now, October 26, 2012, nor in the future for that matter. In fact, the good chance exists that all future Windows OS builds will not work either if they maintain the same ACPI check process that Windows 8 has... What it comes down to is, the motherboard has no issue with compliance, but the BIOS which needs an upgrade to allow to play nice with the ACPI 2.0 check... Unlike other OS versions, there is no way of bypassing that ACPI check right now.

    Anyway after much frustration, and the realization of the final outcome, I figured it was time for a new laptop and purchase an Alienware m14x r2 since those seem like they will be well updated and maintained in the future. And all legacy Alienware support representatives at Dell will first tell you the same thing: Your computer was never designed to work with any other OS than Vista...
    You really liked Win 8 that much to buy a new laptop? I have no immediate plans to update any of my systems and I have two free 64 & 32 bit copies from MSDN. I installed win 8 on a VM and HATED it, and this is coming from a guy who did not mind Vista or ME!
    Alienware m5750: ATI HD4850 - Intel Core 2 Duo T7600G - OCZ Agility 2 240GB - G.Skill DDR2 667 4GB 4-4-4-12 - 1920 x 1200 WUXGA Screen - UJ-120 Blu-ray

    4850 in a m5750!

  10. #10
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Windows 8 on m15x - ACPI error

    Quote Originally Posted by protivakid View Post
    You really liked Win 8 that much to buy a new laptop? I have no immediate plans to update any of my systems and I have two free 64 & 32 bit copies from MSDN. I installed win 8 on a VM and HATED it, and this is coming from a guy who did not mind Vista or ME!
    You have a good question and fair point you are making, I'll be completely honest when I say do I want Windows 8 on the personal computer I work on the most - yes. Is the reason because it is some amazing got to have OS - no.

    I have quite a few desktops and laptops most running modeling and simulations within my house for research work, but I always have one laptop that I really use [particularly comforting when you are finishing your doctoral thesis!]

    Reasons to purchase:
    1). Nvidia 8800 GTX is a bit of junk to me... It's 512MB and I haven't been able to update drivers beyond 167.55 Stable or 175.80 [that's since May 2008], that used to be a big deal, but since I don't really even game anymore it really isn't that big of a deal as it had been...

    2). No further up keep for anything as a legacy system. That includes not even a simple BIOS update, and in all actuality if the requirements are enforced similarly in the future that means Win 7 x64 Ultimate is where I would be stuck.

    3). Hinge issues, or should I say a completely cracked up and busted hinge. I had issues with it a few months after using it, sent it in twice under warranty for repair, but it never received the kind of fix the M11x received, it was just replacing the damaged parts with parts that had known defects. I really cannot close that laptop [it has been rather stationary in the recent months ]

    4). All things considered with the M14x R2 having been on the market now for a little while [which I wanted to watch before I bought to make sure there were no glaring issues], I felt it was just time to probably move on... When I received that 15 I remember thinking to myself I wish if they only had a 14 and now they do

    So yes, call me picky, but I figured now was a good a time as any, so it should be here Wed. or Thurs. depending upon whether it ships Tues. or Wed., respectively...

    As for Windows 8 I am not sure what you mean by "free" copies, nothing is "free" unless you are on a trial or have a promotion, I have had an MSDN subscription for as far back as I can remember [I just think it makes things easier]... Anyone can download as many "free" copies of any iso that you want, but it is the keys you pay for, and if you had a MSDN license you know you do not get two copies, you get two keys (or more depending upon your service level) and yes that is a huge difference

    I just have to find somewhere to sell this Area51-m15x now though because everything except the hinge is in mint condition... I treat my aliens as if they were my own

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 6th September 2011, 05:34 AM
  2. So I bought my M15x before September 2009...help!
    By Netsurfer733 in forum Alienware M15x
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 8th August 2011, 12:13 AM
  3. So I bought my M15x before September 2009...help!
    By Netsurfer733 in forum Alienware Area-51/Aurora and Legacy Systems
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th August 2011, 10:40 PM
  4. HOWTO GUIDE: Running Vista x64 on m15x
    By findvikas in forum Alienware Area-51/Aurora and Legacy Systems
    Replies: 562
    Last Post: 9th November 2010, 01:30 PM
  5. a problem with OSD on m15x
    By pencilcheck in forum Alienware
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 26th June 2009, 08:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1