Quantcast Alienware M7700 D9T Intel/Swap to AMD D9K (Fit Chassis?)

+ Reply to Thread

Default Alienware M7700 D9T Intel/Swap to AMD D9K (Fit Chassis?)

Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone has tried to change the Intel motherboard inside the m7700 D900T model into the AMD D900K dual core version?
    Basically will it fit the chassis?

Picked up an old m7700 laptop as a project and going to push it as far as I can

Notebook Guru

Default Re: Alienware M7700 D9T Intel/Swap to AMD D9K (Fit Chassis?)

I, too am curious about this. Would be interesting to see some benchmarks between the two setups as well!

Quote Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
    I, too am curious about this. Would be interesting to see some benchmarks between the two setups as well!
    I am going to pick up a d900k motherboard within the next week hopefully but the fx-60 processor is still expensive! But it performs well still and is just under the Athlon 64x2 +5200 but the system is restricted to 2GB unless we can get someone to mod the last bios update they released. Will keep you posted

Notebook Geek

If I recall correctly, the RAM usage limitation isn't from the BIOS but rather from hardware on that specific model.

Quote Originally Posted by WhapAChow View Post
    If I recall correctly, the RAM usage limitation isn't from the BIOS but rather from hardware on that specific model.
    Aye, I think your right....just 1GB ram in two slots.
    Got the D900t up and running now, plenty of noise coming from the fans only have the Quadro FX 1400 graphics card which is mainly for CAD etc But hopefully pick up a 7800gtx for $50aud.

Quick update, the AMD motherboard does fit the Intel chassis
    Now just to hunt down a 7950gtx graphics card for the beast....I'm not paying $300us for it though!!

Just need D900K motherboard, AMD processor and good old DDR memory as the DDR2 memory from the D900T won't work.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Roamingmark View Post
    Aye, I think your right....just 1GB ram in two slots.
    Got the D900t up and running now, plenty of noise coming from the fans only have the Quadro FX 1400 graphics card which is mainly for CAD etc But hopefully pick up a 7800gtx for $50aud.

Quick update, the AMD motherboard does fit the Intel chassis
    Now just to hunt down a 7950gtx graphics card for the beast....I'm not paying $300us for it though!!

Just need D900K motherboard, AMD processor and good old DDR memory as the DDR2 memory from the D900T won't work.
    Any updates? I would like to update my mobo with a D900k as well, if it is possible, and add a dual core option. I already have a 7950gtx, so I am set there. Do the D900k boards allow for different MXM options with the GPU?

[QUOTE=txsizzler;8828914]Any updates? I would like to update my mobo with a D900k as well, if it is possible, and add a dual core option. I already have a 7950gtx, so I am set there. Do the D900k boards allow for different MXM options with the GPU?

The d900k/d900t can only take a 7950gtx as the highest graphics card.
    D900k can take a fx-60 dual core processor which is still pretty good.

The actual graphics card is not mxm but specifically made for these models so no model cards mxm II/III will work