Quantcast AlienFx error and Microsoft FrameNet error

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: AlienFx error and Microsoft FrameNet error

Notebook Consultant

Default AlienFx error and Microsoft FrameNet error

Hey guys,

A few days ago, everything was working just peachy on my M18x R2, then just out of no where, I noticed upon booting into windows that the wireless connection was not connecting, and alienwarefx along with microsoft security essentials failed to load. From that point, nothing would work and i got two crashes, one for alienFx and another for frameNet. I can't system restore, install, uninstall, pretty much do anything (including opening files).

Only thing that works is google chrome. I'm wondering if this has affected anyone else, as it seems to be related to an ms update. Chime in if you've figured out how to fix it.

thanks.
    That's drinkin' buddy!

M18x R2 / 3820qm / 680m sli / Samsung 840 256gb / 6gb ram

Use a bigger hammer...

Default Re: AlienFx error and Microsoft FrameNet error

Darn, I hate when stuff like this happens. There is a good chance your system got screwed up royally by Windows Updates. Stuff like this happened to me a number of times in the past couple of years. Around 9 months ago I disabled Windows Updates and haven't had an issue like this one since then. It could be malware other than Microsoft's own, but I suspect it's not unless you have been visiting malicious web sites. If you cannot use System Restore you will likely have to do a clean OS install. That's what I had to do every time. Run checkdisk and try sfc /scannow to rule out data loss or corruption to see if that helps. There is a chance that it may.
    Alienware M18xR2 | 3920XM | GTX 780M SLI | Dual 330W AC Adapter
    32GB 2133 | 512GB SSD RAID0 | 4TB HDD RAID0 | 250GB mSATA

.M18xR2 Benchmarks: 3920XM | 680M SLI | 780M SLI | Custom Yellow Pearl

Alienware 18 | 4930MX | GTX 780M SLI
    Alienware M17x R2 | XPS 15 L521x | Inspiron 15
    Inspiron M5030 | Inspiron E1505 | Dell Mini 9

Need help? Please look here before posting: LINK

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fox View Post
    Darn, I hate when stuff like this happens. There is a good chance your system got screwed up royally by Windows Updates. Stuff like this happened to me a number of times in the past couple of years. Around 9 months ago I disabled Windows Updates and haven't had an issue like this one since then. It could be malware other than Microsoft's own, but I suspect it's not unless you have been visiting malicious web sites. If you cannot use System Restore you will likely have to do a clean OS install. That's what I had to do every time. Run checkdisk and try sfc /scannow to rule out data loss or corruption to see if that helps. There is a chance that it may.
    Mr. Fox, looks like its a widespread issue:

Error on boot: Alienware AlienFX Controller - Alienware Forum - Alienware Club - Dell Community

thankfully, I followed these step by step instructions and all is good for now. I thought my ssd had failed. What a headache the past 5 days has been.

from the dell community forums:

"
    Boot to safe mode (tap F8 repeatedly during bootup). My computer worked fine from safe mode (including wifi when I booted into safe mode with Internet access). In normal mode everything was slowing done and/or hanging including MSE and Windows uninstaller refused to work (the first thing I tried was uninstalling both Alienware Command Center and Microsoft Security Essentials).
    Open Microsoft Security Essentials. Do a program search for it from the start menu if you're not sure where it is.
    Open the "Settings" tab. Should be the last one on the right
    Click on the excepted file locations. In the left-hand bar ('m on a Japanese OS, so I'm not sure exactly what it's called in English).
    Hit the Browse button and select the Alienware Folder. I did a file search from Windows Explorer and found that aside from shortcuts and user preferences most Alienware files were stored in C:\Program Files\Alienware.
    Click "Add".
    Click "Save changes."
    Click the real-time protection. Again, in the left-hand bar... not exactly sure if the English name is the same.
    Unclick real-time protection (if it is enabled).
    Click "Save changes."
    Reboot.
    "

Probably best to turn auto win updates off like you've done Fox. Looks like Microsoft security essentials might be the culprit.
    That's drinkin' buddy!

Use a bigger hammer...

Good info. Thanks for sharing it. +1 rep. I excluded everything in both Alienware folders.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSE_Exclusions.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	102302

I am running a clean Windows 7 SP1 installation without any Windows Updates. (Well OK almost none... Windows sneaked in 12 updates without permission before I could disable it.) From reading in the DCF thread it looks like Windows Updates changed something and maybe screwed up MSE in the process, too. Another option might be to ditch MSE if the folder exclusions alone is not enough for some folks. All of the problems I had in the past it seemed were related to .NET framework and C++ getting screwed up by Windows Updates.

Notebook Consultant

I don't know if this is related, but on occasion, I get a fast moving warning blurb from Alien Respawn " couldn't blah, blah, blah...referencing C++" then disappearing off the screen....

Edit: I don't run MSE though.....

Use a bigger hammer...

It certainly could be related to the same issue. I don't have Respawn any more, but I know the error you are referring to. I have seen it before.

Notebook Consultant

The errors I got were so bad that it rendered the machine worthless. I could not even close a file in windows. It is definitely a windows/mse error though.
    That's drinkin' buddy!

Notebook Consultant

Was this after the last patch Tuesday?.....I remember reading something about the updates from the last patch Tuesday causing untold grief, and another set of unscheduled patches released to undo the damage from the patch Tuesday....this maybe totally unrelated....there was a suggestion from somewhere to turn off the auto update because of the mayhem that was being caused....forgive me if I haven't got this quite right.....

Notebook Deity

Yeah, I've had MS auto-update off forever. I get notified when I should download and install them, but not having ever really had a virus or serious malware, I think it's not too dangerous to wait a few days before applying any of the newest ones. The chance of you getting something in that small window is really small I think. Especially since no one, I'm assuming is really targeting your home computer behind your home network.
    Alienware 18: i7-4800MQ | 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz | Dual NVIDIA GTX 780M with 4GB GDDR5 - SLI Enabled | 750GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s + 64GB mSATA SSD Caching | Slot-Loading Blu-ray Reader

Alienware M14X: Stealth Black | i7-2630QM | 4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | 14" 1600x900 | 1.5GB GT555M | 500GB 7200RPM | Intel WiFi Link 1000 | 60GHz WirelessHD

Company Representative

Quote Originally Posted by joecait View Post
    Yeah, I've had MS auto-update off forever. I get notified when I should download and install them, but not having ever really had a virus or serious malware, I think it's not too dangerous to wait a few days before applying any of the newest ones. The chance of you getting something in that small window is really small I think. Especially since no one, I'm assuming is really targeting your home computer behind your home network.
    Me too, I've always turned them off as soon as I install Windows :P
    Alienware L. Porras
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty, check our disassemble videos on YouTube
    Quickest way to get support from Dell: Twitter via @AlienwareTech or Facebook.com/Alienware using the "message" link. I can't always reply to PM's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast