Quantcast For atheros pcie ethernet controller v2.0.2.6 check cable connection exiting intel pxe rom no bootable device error

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default For atheros pcie ethernet controller v2.0.2.6 check cable connection exiting intel pxe rom no bootable device error

Hi guys,
    I have an alienware m18x r1,intel i7 2670,16gb ram,dual nvidia 580m graphics, 64gb samsung 830 ssd and 500gb hdd.
    I tried to replace the 64gbssd with a sandisk extreme 240gb ssd. The windows installation was very slow and after it finished installing and the system restarted i got this error
    [B]" for atheros pcie ethernet controller v2.0.2.6(09/28/2010)
    check cable connection!
    PXE-MOF:exiting intel pxe rom.
    no bootable device-insert boot disk and press any key".

I tried to boot with my old 64 gb ssd but it showed the same error.
    Both the samsung ssd and sandisk ssd are getting detected in bios but i keep getting the same error.
    i am using AHCI mode.
    PLease help out.

Thanks in advance

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: For atheros pcie ethernet controller v2.0.2.6 check cable connection exiting intel pxe rom no bootable device error

You could try checking your boot order in the bios, try either the SSD first or the CD/DVD first then the SSD.

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: For atheros pcie ethernet controller v2.0.2.6 check cable connection exiting intel pxe rom no bootable device error

tried that too...did'nt work

Notebook Nobel Laureate

Sounds like your machine is trying to boot from a network instead of the drives. Are you 1000% sure its set properly in bios and you have exited and saved changes made? - you could try resetting bios settings to defaults, also you could do a power drain (remove battery/AC and hold down power button for 10-20 seconds) and maybe remove the CMOS coin cell battery to reset it and then put it back in.

Just a thought but have you made sure all drive connections are secure? - also, were the OS's installed whilst in AHCI or have you switched to AHCI afterwards (if so, they wont boot). If you do reset bios to defaults, make sure your Sata operation in bios matches the mode used when installing the OS.

Those would be the things I would check first as there should be no reason why your original SSD wont boot.
    Last edited by steviejones133; 15th July 2012 at 05:23 AM.
    Currently: Alienware 14 | 4700mq | GTX765m (upgraded from GT750m )| 8gb | Win 7 Ultimate & 8.1 Pro| 1920x1080 IPS | Killer 1202 & Broadcom 4352 (Latter for WiDi) | 512gb PM830 & 750gb | UltraSharp U2711 2560x1440 & U3011 2560x1600 | NotePal U3 | Harman Kardon Soundsticks III
    Previously: M18x R1 | 2960xm | 680m SLI & M17x R2 | 840qm | Crossfire 5870

Click here to see My Alienware 14 Teardown Video in 1080p!

Notebook Enthusiast

I am sure that i installed the OS in AHCI mode and the boot priority was also the hard drive. I have tried to reset the bios but it shows the same error. However, ill still re do everything from the start and will also try removing the cmos battery and check if the drive connections are secure.

I have a question...lets say i want to use both my ssd's the 64gb and 240gb ones. In which mode should i install the OS? Should it be AHCI or RAID?

Notebook Nobel Laureate

I always use RAID. Even if you aren't creating a raid array, it makes sense to do it that way as if you add a second drive in the future and want to raid them together, it's a much simpler process. You can then simply create an array with Intel RST and extend the volume to setup your new array - if you installed under AHCI, you would have to re-install the whole OS etc....a lot less troublesome to use RAID in the first instance as it would save you a load of hassle later on down the line.

Note that you wouldnt want to raid 0 your existing SSD's as you would lose ALOT of valuable SSD space because if they are not the same size drives, they would default to the lowest size. This is because of "raid striping" and it needs to be done to equal size drives - as your smallest drive is 64gb, you would end up with a 128gb (x2 64gb) raid array instead of having 304gb (64gb + 240gb) available.
    Last edited by steviejones133; 15th July 2012 at 07:55 AM.
    Currently: Alienware 14 | 4700mq | GTX765m (upgraded from GT750m )| 8gb | Win 7 Ultimate & 8.1 Pro| 1920x1080 IPS | Killer 1202 & Broadcom 4352 (Latter for WiDi) | 512gb PM830 & 750gb | UltraSharp U2711 2560x1440 & U3011 2560x1600 | NotePal U3 | Harman Kardon Soundsticks III

Notebook Enthusiast

If i use the 2 ssds i should use RAID and when i use one ssd and one hdd i should install os in AHCI mode.
    Also which sata port , 0 or 1 supports sata3.0....or do both the ports support sata 3.0?
    I tried what you suggested and tried a fresh installation on the 240gb ssd in ahci mode by resetting the bios. After the initial setup finishes and the system restarts, i get the starting windows screen without the windows splash...then after a few min the screen goes blank. I have waited for 15min to see if something happens, but the screen still is blank. Now i tried to switch off the system and restarted and i keep ending up with a blank screen after the starting windows screen. When i start it in safe mode it says setup cannot finish in safe mode.
    Any ideas what the problem is?
    i tried the fresh installation on 64gb ssd an d it works fine.

Notebook Nobel Laureate

Quote Originally Posted by chetanappu007 View Post
    If i use the 2 ssds i should use RAID and when i use one ssd and one hdd i should install os in AHCI mode.

No. There is no benefit in installing under AHCI for a single drive. Setting up a single or raid configuration can be done whilst under raid in bios. The logic behind this is that if you add another SSD later on (of equal size to, say, the 240gb) its far less hassle to create a raid than if you installed under AHCI. Basically, use raid for all installations - the only thing this will do that will be different than using AHCI would be to add the "ctrl&I" option upon boot to enter the raid configuration menu....it adds maybe a second or so to boot time but you would save that in a heartbeat should you want to raid in future.

Also which sata port , 0 or 1 supports sata3.0....or do both the ports support sata 3.0?

If you have an 18x R1, both ports in the caddy support Sata III 6gbps - if you have an R2, ports 0 and 1 (top and bottom) support Sata III 6gbps whilst port 2 (middle) only supports Sata II 3gbps.

I tried what you suggested and tried a fresh installation on the 240gb ssd in ahci mode by resetting the bios. After the initial setup finishes and the system restarts, i get the starting windows screen without the windows splash...then after a few min the screen goes blank. I have waited for 15min to see if something happens, but the screen still is blank. Now i tried to switch off the system and restarted and i keep ending up with a blank screen after the starting windows screen. When i start it in safe mode it says setup cannot finish in safe mode.
    Any ideas what the problem is?
    i tried the fresh installation on 64gb ssd an d it works fine.

Have you checked to see if there any firmware updates for your 240gb SSD? - something worth doing which could rule out that being a factor.
    Tried to help with my answers as above. What I would try and do is install from the Win7 Disc by inserting into the optical drive, shutdown, reboot...enter bios....change Sata operation to RAID...save and exit....immediately hit F12 for the one time boot menu.....select boot from cd/dvd and see how windows installs with that......it should install fine....fingers crossed.

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks for explaining....anyways i tried to insatll os in RAID mode and after the installation i was greeted with a new error.

Windows has encountred a problem communicating with a device connected
    Says i have a faulty hdd or cd rom
    File:\windows\system32\winload.exe
    unexpected i/o error

I plugged in the sandisk ssd into my desktop and it worked fine...i formatted it and plugged it into the laptop and tried again to get the same error.

Any more ideas?

Notebook Enthusiast

I have also checked the firmwRe version and it is up to date.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast