Quantcast How do display tv on M18x via HDMI Input?

+ Reply to Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default How do display tv on M18x via HDMI Input?

I want to watch tv on my m18x lcd via HDMI input while I use my external monitor for laptop output. Can this be done? So far I can get tv to display on my laptop but only temporarily and I cannot output to my external monitor while tv is on the laptop lcd.

My goal is to watch tv on the laptop lcd while I edit photos on my big external monitor.

Thanks!
    Last edited by dugt; 12th June 2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Make more clear
    Ordered 5/31 m18x, Black is Beautiful (especially when gray), 2720, Kingston 16Mb RAM, Intel 510 120GB SSD, 6970CF, 30" Ultrasharp IGN Monitor, EDD 6/8

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: How do display tv on m18x via HDMI Input?

Ill play with this problem in a bit if no one has a solution. I'm sure its just a matter of messing with settings in graphics control panel. However it might not be possible. Don't know! Would like to see this one solved! Whats your Video Card model ?
    M18xR1 | i7-2960XM Extreme | Dual 2GB AMD Radeon HD 6990M CrossFireX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | 180 GB Intel 520 Series SSD & 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD |1920x1080 60Hz| Win 7 64bit

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by TheMatrixHacker View Post
    Ill play with this problem in a bit if no one has a solution. I'm sure its just a matter of messing with settings in graphics control panel. However it might not be possible. Don't know! Would like to see this one solved! Whats your Video Card model ?
    I have two Radeon 6970 GPU's.
    Thanks.
    dt
    Ordered 5/31 m18x, Black is Beautiful (especially when gray), 2720, Kingston 16Mb RAM, Intel 510 120GB SSD, 6970CF, 30" Ultrasharp IGN Monitor, EDD 6/8

Notebook Evangelist

I'm going to drag my monitor down to my TV now and see what I can get going. Before I begin can you tell me what you have tried ? for example have you tried to control the displays through the Catalyst Control Panel ?
    M18xR1 | i7-2960XM Extreme | Dual 2GB AMD Radeon HD 6990M CrossFireX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | 180 GB Intel 520 Series SSD & 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD |1920x1080 60Hz| Win 7 64bit

Notebook Consultant

The closest I've come to success was by opening Catalyst > Common Display Tasks> Extend Display. When I click on Extend display TV is displayed on my laptop but only for several seconds. I suspect that it is waiting for me to confirm that selection but I don't see that window anywhere. While tv is shown on my laptop, my external monitor turns off. When the tv on my laptop turns off the external monitor turns back on and displays my desktop.

Notebook Evangelist

Okay thanks, I'll see what I come up with. I'm not real familiar with what HDMI-IN is capable of I only use HDMI-OUT for Netflix and movies. However Im reading over the Dell HDMI manual now and will hook it up here in a second.

EDIT: It turns out all I can do is display PC to TV not the other way around. I don't have HDMI-OUT ports on my TV, a older Dynex with 2 HDMI-IN ports. I'm assuming you have the proper ports or you wouldn't see TV at all, so you seem to be on the right track unless I'm off on how it all works. I apologize I couldn't be of further assistance. Hopefully one of our Brother's here can help with this.
    Last edited by TheMatrixHacker; 13th June 2012 at 01:23 AM.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by TheMatrixHacker View Post
    Okay thanks, I'll see what I come up with. I'm not real familiar with what HDMI-IN is capable of I only use HDMI-OUT for Netflix and movies. However Im reading over the Dell HDMI manual now and will hook it up here in a second.

EDIT: It turns out all I can do is display PC to TV not the other way around. I don't have HDMI-OUT ports on my TV, a older Dynex with 2 HDMI-IN ports. I'm assuming you have the proper ports or you wouldn't see TV at all, so you seem to be on the right track unless I'm off on how it all works. I apologize I couldn't be of further assistance. Hopefully one of our Brother's here can help with this.
    Thank you very much for trying!
    My HDMI input is connected to my comcast HDMI output. Usually that output is connected to my external monitor where it works great for tv. If I don't get help here I will call Alienware support.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: How do display tv on M18x via HDMI Input?

dugt did you ever get Alienware Tech Support on the phone ? I'm very interested if this is possible.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: How do display tv on M18x via HDMI Input?

I got it to work. I called Alienware Support and they confirmed that it was possible but it is not supported by warranty support. Fortunately they could transfer me to their fee based service who would help me. I said no thanks and asked them to help with a different problem

Often, after booting up, my m18x doesn't recognize my second internal hard drive. The support rep tried to solve the problem and was able to get my computer to crash. Then she said she had to consult a higher power and she would call me back. (While I was waiting I figured out on my own to get HDMI-In to work.) When she called back she said she noticed I didn't buy the second hard drive from Alienware so no support. She probably would have gone on to try to sell me their fee based service but I said goodbye. I used to think Alienware support was good but the last two times I've called them they have been worse than useless.

Thanks for listening. Now, here is how I got the HDMI to work. Just plug your tv source hdmi cable into HDMI-In which is the HDMI jack on the right side of the m18x. Then press Fn and F8 simultaneously. That toggles HDMI-in off and on. If you don't want to have computer output to your external monitor while watching tv on your m18x, all you have to do is turn on HDMI-In by using Fn-F8.

If while watching tv on you m18x via HDMI-In you want to use your external monitor for computer purposes, you have to make your external monitor your "Main Desktop". To do that, go to Catalyst>Common Display Settings>click on 2 (assuming 2 is your external monitor) and make your external monitor your Main Desktop.

I hope that helps some one else and please let us know if you find a better way to do this.