Quantcast For those who are Annoyed with Windows 8 Charms Sidebar popping up with recent Synaptic Driver.

+ Reply to Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default For those who are Annoyed with Windows 8 Charms Sidebar popping up with recent Synaptic Driver.

This post is to give you a solution if you find the incessant popping up of the Windows 8 Charms Sidebar an annoyance and of no practical use for you.

The new or latest Synaptics driver posted on M17x r4 has enabled swipe movement for the purpose above. Hence when you use your touchpad it would often cause the Charms Sidebar to pop up.

All you have to do is remove this driver and install the previous M17x r4 driver which was originally developed for Windows 7 64/32bit. It doesn't allow such behaviour to occur.

Kindly spread the word even in other forums because I see many are having the same issue and the solutions given involves registry changes etc. I think that is not necessary at all. The new driver doesn't change in terms of features other than the swipe motion is enabled. You don't see this function listed, nor can you disable it.

Hope this helps.

Notebook Deity

Default Re: For those who are Annoyed with Windows 8 Charms Sidebar popping up with recent Synaptic Driver.

I think you can disable it in the synpatic driver control panel (under mouse devices) there was a charms bar/side swipe option added in recently (when the animations showing you how to do it are like apple ones i.e. has a real hand showing you the gestures). I could be wrong though, I don't mind having it there.
    Alienware 17 {4900QM/32GB/780M/SSD/120Hz}
    Previous M17X R4 {3630QM/16GB/680M/SSD}

Company Representative

Default Re: For those who are Annoyed with Windows 8 Charms Sidebar popping up with recent Synaptic Driver.

Quote Originally Posted by xxiv24 View Post
    This post is to give you a solution if you find the incessant popping up of the Windows 8 Charms Sidebar an annoyance and of no practical use for you.

The new or latest Synaptics driver posted on M17x r4 has enabled swipe movement for the purpose above. Hence when you use your touchpad it would often cause the Charms Sidebar to pop up.

All you have to do is remove this driver and install the previous M17x r4 driver which was originally developed for Windows 7 64/32bit. It doesn't allow such behaviour to occur.

Kindly spread the word even in other forums because I see many are having the same issue and the solutions given involves registry changes etc. I think that is not necessary at all. The new driver doesn't change in terms of features other than the swipe motion is enabled. You don't see this function listed, nor can you disable it.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for sharing, any program popping up from time to time gets annoying. haha. +1Rep
    Alienware L. Porras
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty, check our disassemble videos on YouTube
    Quickest way to get support from Dell: Twitter via @AlienwareTech or Facebook.com/Alienware using the "message" link. I can't always reply to PM's.

Overclocked | Overvolted

Quote Originally Posted by xxiv24 View Post

Hope this helps.
    Windows 8 is an annoying OS to use with a touchpad with gestures enabled because the charms bar is downright spastic. I seldom use the touchpad, but I have gestures disabled. If I find myself having to use the touchpad instead of my external mouse, I like the touchpad to work like a simple mouse with no fancy features. Windows 8 is not spastic with the touchpad only allowing movement cursor control and mouse clicks. Your suggestion is a good one. I use older Synatic drivers that lack all the features I don't want and it does work better.
    Alienware M18xR2 | 3920XM | 980M SLI | 32GB DDR3-2133 | 1TB SSD+4TB HDD RAID0+250GB mSATA |Dual 330W AC Adapter
    Alienware M18xR1 | 2920XM | 780M SLI | 16GB DDR3-2133 | 256GB SSD+2TB HDD RAID0 | Dual 330W AC Adapter
    Alienware 18 | 4930MX | 780M SLI | 16GB DDR3-1600 | 256GB SSD+1.5TB HDD RAID0

Need help? Looking for something?
    Check this index of useful links
    here..

Notebook Evangelist

Copy this text to a disable-gestures.reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull]
    "ActionType"=dword:00000000
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Left Edge Pull]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull Extended Zone]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Top Edge Pull]
    Double click to merge it with your registry, then reboot.

I don't get the people at Microsoft, did they not bother to even test Windows 8 on laptops? This is one of the biggest complaints about Windows 8.
    Dell Alienware M17x R4
    ● Intel Core i7-37340QM
    ● 32GB DDR3 1600 RAM
    ● NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M 2GB graphics with Optimus
    ● 17.3in FHD WLED (1920x1080)
    ● 1.0TB HDD x 2
    ● 64GB MSATA Intel RST x 2
    ● Bluetooth 4.0
    ● Killer Wireless N 1202

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by DDDenniZZZ View Post
    I think you can disable it in the synpatic driver control panel (under mouse devices) there was a charms bar/side swipe option added in recently (when the animations showing you how to do it are like apple ones i.e. has a real hand showing you the gestures). I could be wrong though, I don't mind having it there.
    Not sure bro....i never found one or I missed it...But I know many have been looking for a solution on this. If it was straight forward i think it would not have been an issue per se. Kindly update if you do come across this option. That would be great. I just wanted to avoid registry meddling and also there is pretty much nothing significant between the synaptics for win 7 64bit and win 8 64 bit except for the swipe movement. Not gesture.

Notebook Deity

The newest drivers from the synaptic website will allow you to disable it in their control panel. You can still enable/disable the touchpad fine with those drivers too.

M17x R4 // i7-3820QM // Radeon HD 7970m // 32GB Ram (4x 8GB DDR3 1600 G.Skill CAS11) // 1080p display // External eSATAp Blu-Ray Burner
    Windows 8.1 Pro w/ MCE // 1x 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD + 2x750GB Western Digital Black HDD (Raid 0) // Intel SSD 310 Series mSATA 40GB (Caching - Maximum Performance mode -- set on Raid 0 array)

AMD card is running 13.13 Beta V1.0 (B22_March12) drivers

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by shinji257 View Post
    The newest drivers from the synaptic website will allow you to disable it in their control panel. You can still enable/disable the touchpad fine with those drivers too.
    I will try this instruction...I had downloaded the driver from Synaptics the other day but it failed to install.

Update: Synaptics_v16_3_8_8_C_XP32_Vista32_Win7-32_XP64_Vista64_Win7-64_Acme_Inc

This latest driver from Synaptics appears to install but then reports as failed. I dont know what else I am doing wrong.

Notebook Deity

I knew I saw a option somewhere, see attached.

it disables all side swipes, its on the newer drivers, I haven't installed the latest driver, I think I have a version before it, latest one has issues installing and I can't be bothered fixing it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	synaptics.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	92457
    Alienware 17 {4900QM/32GB/780M/SSD/120Hz}
    Previous M17X R4 {3630QM/16GB/680M/SSD}