Quantcast AMD 7970m Drivers? New? - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Re: AMD 7970m Drivers? New?

exactly same concerns as yours scottyboy.
    Alienware M17x R4 Space Black : I7-3720QM || 16 Gb RAM 1600 MHz || AMD 7970M || 256 Gb Crucial SSD + 500 Gb Seagate HDD @7200RPM || DVD-RW || Win 7 Pro 64-Bit

Company Representative

Quote Originally Posted by SlickDude80 View Post
    The Caps are the temp fixes before the next official driver. You can or not install them...thats up to you. But they will eventually be rolled into the next driver anyways
    Exactly, here's what the current one includes 12.7 CAP1

btw, thanks for the rep!

- Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy99 View Post
    So technically CAPS profiles can you get by if a game isn't working well without having to install the new drivers? Only reason I ask is I am still on 12.1 drivers. Historically, I would without fail every month update the AMD drivers but with so many regular updates found the process tiresome (and then testing virtually everything afterwards). Although I never had problems installing new ones over the top I didn't really like playing Russian Roulette with the laptop. At the moment the laptop works fine with the GPU doing all I ask of it. I wouldn't necessarily want to risk upsetting things for the sake of 1 or 2 newer games - so just installing a caps profile if needed is a good option?

It's just that I read so many horror stories with regards things like new drivers and windows updates (my pet hate!) that often think newer isn't necessarily better.
    Honestly I haven't tried that, but judging by the 0.5mb size of the 12.7 CAP1 it's most likely not a stand alone, probably just some minor modifications to the 12.7 driver, which would mean that you need to install the 12.7 driver first.

Notebook Enthusiast

is it safe to install the 12.7 drivers over other AMD drivers already installed? Or is a clean install every time there are new drivers a must.

Company Representative

Quote Originally Posted by MrTennisNinja View Post
    is it safe to install the 12.7 drivers over other AMD drivers already installed? Or is a clean install every time there are new drivers a must.
    It's pretty much like washing your car, you can drive through an auto washing machine and your car will look nice in a few minutes, but the interior will stay the same.

On the other hand you can deep clean it at home, and it will even have a fresh smell inside :P

Notebook Guru

do we need to disable "Driver Signature Enforcement" for installing drivers from AMD (I currently have stock m17xr3 drivers for my 6990m)? Also some of the download drivers are 100+ mb but on the amd site it is only a few MB, why is that?
    M17xR3 i7-2720qm, 8gb ddr3 1333 mhz ram, ATI/AMD HD 6990m, 750gb 7200 rpm HDD, blue-ray player, 1920x1080, Killer wireless-N 1103 card,

Company Representative

Only if it won't let you install it without disabling the option

Notebook Guru

thanks but would this nullify/void the warranty?
    M17xR3 i7-2720qm, 8gb ddr3 1333 mhz ram, ATI/AMD HD 6990m, 750gb 7200 rpm HDD, blue-ray player, 1920x1080, Killer wireless-N 1103 card,

Company Representative

It won't. You can do any software change in your computer as long as it doesn't damage the internal components. If it corrupts the OS, the warranty will be "frozen" until the OS is fixed correctly, which can be easily done with a clean windows installation.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Alienware-Luis_Pardo View Post
    It's pretty much like washing your car, you can drive through an auto washing machine and your car will look nice in a few minutes, but the interior will stay the same.

On the other hand you can deep clean it at home, and it will even have a fresh smell inside :P
    I'm confused lol .Yes? er..

Company Representative

You can but it's better to do a clean install to avoid any further conflicts that may or may not show up

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast