Quantcast M17x-R4 Black screen crashes ATI 7970m - Page 9

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: M17x-R4 Black screen crashes ATI 7970m

I asked for a replacement of my card and now everything is perfect 0 crashes so far and my card now is even cooler. It is a bad batch of cards, so if you are having any issue ask for a new card.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by StZu View Post
    Most R4s are perfect. The reason you are seing many here with issues is because most people only post when they have issues, when everything is running smooth they have no need for the forum.
    agreed.
    makes me think whether we need to make a polling post on who got the perfect R4 w/ 7970M and who don't, so to help a lot of ppl not to judge before even owning or trying.
    Alienware M17x R4 Space Black : I7-3720QM || 16 Gb RAM 1600 MHz || AMD 7970M || 256 Gb Crucial SSD + 500 Gb Seagate HDD @7200RPM || DVD-RW || Win 7 Pro 64-Bit

Notebook Deity

Elkay the dos bootable usb flash method is the safest. you may find you had success with flashing with atiflash... but someone could easily have a issue in windows and could brick the cards from a bad flash. SVL7 is well experienced and been doing this for a long time. Safer method is the usb bootable drive method.

okay been playing crash free (on the games without noted issues) on stock or greater clocks instead on an undervolt. strange but I have no issues in diablo 3 in xfire on 12.5 7900 mod driver from guru3d. At stock clocks I get 180fps peak in Diablo 3 in xfire. when i use 1.025v stock clocks i now have 215 fps peak. Why i don't know. seems some of our cards need more volts and some (maybe just mine) need less volts. 1.075v is fine for benching for me but if I use it for long time gaming i get the crashes. this has been testing in 5-6 hour game sessions. Currently my card seems to be able to actually overclock for full time gaming overclock once i undervolted. not sure why and not sure if I am the only one to have found this to be true. SVL7 has easily used stock clocks at .975v so it doesn't seem to require an overvolt for all cards. seems strange so many variations in cards.
    Alienware M18x R1|Intel i7 2960XM OEM|Samsung PM830 240Gb|Samsung 8gb 2133 CL9-10-10-25|AMD 7970m Crossfire CCC 12.7 Desktop Beta | MW86@Bios-Mods@Tech|Inferno

Temporarily Unavailable

Quote Originally Posted by alenghil View Post
    I asked for a replacement of my card and now everything is perfect 0 crashes so far and my card now is even cooler. It is a bad batch of cards, so if you are having any issue ask for a new card.
    Is everything still working well with your replacement GPU? What driver are you using?
    Alienware M18xR2 | 3920XM | GTX 780M SLI | Dual 330W AC Adapter
    32GB 2133 | 512GB SSD RAID0 | 4TB HDD RAID0 | 120GB mSATA

.M18xR2 Benchmarks: 3920XM | 680M SLI | 780M SLI | Custom Yellow Pearl

Alienware 18 | 4930MX | GTX 780M SLI
    Alienware M17x R2 | XPS 15 L521x | Inspiron 15
    Inspiron M5030 | Inspiron E1505 | Dell Mini 9

Need help? Please look here before posting: LINK

Notebook Deity

... good question MrFox. If there really is mkre than just a couple of bad batch cards they are hiding that info well and we are all left guessing if we recieved a bad card or if all this is driver issues new screen booted stock vbios and bios to a red screen of black backround and red twxt in lines it looked like the matrix scren but in red. I captured it kn my phone camera. I had tk shut the entire system off.
    Alienware M18x R1|Intel i7 2960XM OEM|Samsung PM830 240Gb|Samsung 8gb 2133 CL9-10-10-25|AMD 7970m Crossfire CCC 12.7 Desktop Beta | MW86@Bios-Mods@Tech|Inferno

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fox View Post
    Is everything still working well with your replacement GPU? What driver are you using?
    Yep everything is still working fine for me. Right now I am using official 12.6 drivers but I have also played with 12.7 beta and with the old 12.5 beta with no problems.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but since I experienced the same problem I decided to share it in here. Also sorry for incoming english mistakes it's not my first languange so I'll try my best .

I bought an m17x r4 with a 7970m for my girlfriend just when it went out. The first game she played on it was D3, which never crashed. Then came Skyrim, which maybe had a single crash on more than 170h of playing, the crash not being a black screen but a freeze (maybe a game crash).

The first game where she experienced the black screen + sound loop was Warhammer online. We renewed our account to play a bit awaiting for GW2 and she couldn't play more than half an hour without experiencing the black screen crash. Sometimes it happened after less than 2m of gameplay.

Meanwhile she went through the 2 first public Beta of GW2 with no crashes at all, since we both aimed to play this one, everything was still ok .. But since the last two stress tests, she now has black screen crashes on GW2 too :'(. During the firsts Beta A.Net communicated on the fact that the client wasn't yet optimized for using the GPU. Now that the release approaches, they surely made some, and I can't help but thinking this is related..

As many of you I tried running multiple 3D mark 2011 bench to stress the card and see if the crash came from this, but never did. It looks like this only happens in game, so I was also looking into a driver issue. Reading this thread started to confort me in that path and I was hoping to solve the issue by changing the voltage or underclocking the card. But then came the posts with those who got a working replacement card.. So I'm not sure what should I do.

I find it hard to believe that a hardware faulty card only crashes on certain games. So either Alienware decided to change stock voltage and they send back the same cards or they apply a driver fix ? I'm getting kind of confused and a bit disapointed by the lack of communication from them. Lucky for me these kind of forums are up .

I'll try to perfom the GPU mem test this evening, change the voltage and/or clock and do my test on Warhammer Online since this game has always crashed for me.

Notebook Enthusiast

I have had my m17x for about 3 months now. And in the past month i have started noticing black screen crashes on certain games. Warhammer Space Marine mostly, but i just bought Darksiders 2 today and the same thing happened. Im wondering if i should contact Alienware and ask for a replacement card?

I did the memctlCL test and ended up with 50 failed iterations on Random blocks (25885781 total incorrect bits).. I'm inclined to call Dell support to ask for a replacement but I would like to try out the GPU voltage increase to see if it get things more stable. I wonder if doing so breaks the guarantee ? Will Dell refuse to perform the replacement if they see that the BIOS have been modified ?

Edit:Ok, since the original vbios ROM was provided with the vbios pack, I took the risk and changed the vbios to : Dell7970m-900-1300-ov1075v.

I still get the 50 iterations error when runing memctlCL, but I'll try running Warhammer (and GW2 during this evening stress test) and see how it goes.

Edit2: Just ran 3Dmark 11 test again. The tests went smooth, I went from a score of P5937 (original clock and voltage) to a P6255, temperature in max load between 68 and 72 . So far so good, lauching War online now.

Edit3: I played 5m of War and got the BSOD again :/. I'll maybe try and undervolted setup and if it doesn't work, I'll put the original vbios and ask for a replacement :'(.
    Last edited by Seedz; 15th August 2012 at 06:48 AM.

Notebook Enthusiast

So i called Alienware support last night. The guy remoted in to my laptop and ran a bunch of tests, basically two stress tests to see my max temps for the CPU and GPU. I told him the problem seems to be my GPU and brought up points from this thread. He said it sounds like overheating, and figures that the cpu is the cause of the problem since my max temp reached 90. The GPU temps were normal maxed out at around 74. So he set up an appintment with a tech to come and put in new fans and heatsinks. I really dont think that is going to change the problem, but if the black screen contiunes to happen after at least then i can say we tried your way, now give me a new card!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast