Quantcast Best thermal compounds to use for gpu/cpu?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Geek

Default Best thermal compounds to use for gpu/cpu?

I'll be receiving my m17r3 in a few days with a NVIDIA 580m, I plan to do a repaste of the gpu and probably the CPU within the first week or 2 and wanted some input as to what kind of thermal compound works the best in this situation?

Regards,
    Howard c
    New system:
    Alienware m17x R3 | Soft touch black | Intel I7 2860 QM | 4 GB ram | 3D Screen |580m Nvidia graphics card | Killer 1103 Wireless Card | Blu-ray Drive | 750 GB HDD | 1 yr Accidental Damage Coverage

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: Best thermal compounds to use for gpu/cpu?

Most name-brand thermal pastes will perform about the same. Proper application technique (read the instructions for the paste) has a much larger impact than the actual material / composition of the paste itself.

Don't kill yourself trying to specifically buy one brand / type of thermal paste over another, because the performance differences are so small that they might as well be within a margin of error. If you really have no idea what to buy and are starting completely from scratch, just buy a tube of Arctic Silver 5. It is the "gold standard" against which all other thermal pastes have been compared for the past several years.
    Laptop Madness (w/unboxing pics): | 17 Second Boot - POST to Desktop | SSD Boots Windows 7 + Load 27 Apps in 1 Minute | SSD vs HDD Direct Comparison - Identical Drive Images
    Lenovo Y500 | Core i7-3630M | 16GB RAM | 256GB mSATA SSD + 1TB HDD | 2x GeForce 650M GPU (SLI) | 15.6" 1920x1080 Display | Etymotic ER-4P Headphones | 5.95lbs

Goodbye Alienware

Artic Silver 5 is ancient. If you can get Prolimatech PK-1, get that, if not, the Artic Cooling MX-4 is probably the benchmark in reliability and performance nowadays.

I use IC Diamond but I'm extremely careful and it does stain the die a bit as it has diamonds inside which scratch the hell out of anything.
    FRANKEN-SYSTEM (Customised P377SM) - i7 4930MX OEM @4.0Ghz 24/7 - PremaMod bios - 16GB 2133Mhz CL11 Hyperx Impact RAM - Bigfoot Killer 1103 WiFi - 2x256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSDs in RAID0 + 1TB Samsung 840 EVO mSATA - 2x Hard-modded Nvidia GTX 780m's in SLi @1112/3200Mhz - Calibrated 120Hz 1080p

Trusty Alienware M17x R4 has been given the highest honourable discharge.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by kent1146 View Post
    Most name-brand thermal pastes will perform about the same. Proper application technique (read the instructions for the paste) has a much larger impact than the actual material / composition of the paste itself.

Don't kill yourself trying to specifically buy one brand / type of thermal paste over another, because the performance differences are so small that they might as well be within a margin of error. If you really have no idea what to buy and are starting completely from scratch, just buy a tube of Arctic Silver 5. It is the "gold standard" against which all other thermal pastes have been compared for the past several years.
    I could not agree more. I follow the small grain of rice size method for CPU's.

Notebook Prophet

I will compress 6 months of discussion, research and experimentation here. I've used PK-1, AS5, MX-4, OCZ FREEZE on my laptop and IC7 in desktops in the last 6 months. The winner: PK-1

I agree with both Kent and Beaverman

Very important to apply the paste well...so from that perspective, the application of the paste is really important. Don't use the creditcard spread method, let the heatsink spread the paste via compression. Also ease of use is important. IC Diamond is a real pain the behind to work with. It doesn't spread easily. However, MX-4, AS5, PK-1 spread easily

SO...going further to this, it is really important to get a paste that will work well regardless of how you apply it. The best one available right now that works well with moderate contact between CPU/GPU die and heatsink is Prolimatech PK-1 (which is what i use)

My GPU runs 67c in Furmark after 10 mins
    My CPU cores hover between 71c - 73c after 20 mins, completely 100% loaded with prime95

AS5 is still decent, but only works well under the most optimal spread/contact situations between heatsink and CPU/GPU die.

IC Diamond works well under bad contact situations, but it doesn't improve much when the contact improves. and like Widezu alluded to, IC Diamond will scratch the heck out of your CPU and GPU dies so avoid this one

Here is the bible of cooling as far as i'm concerned. Click on moderate contact for what you might expect in a laptop:

2011 Thermal Compound Roundup – Results Compilation | Skinnee Labs
    M17x R3 | i7 2820 | AMD 7970M | 12 GIGS DDR3-1333 | Crucial M4 SSD 128gig | 320 GIG 7200RPM | 1920x1080 60HZ | Sound Blaster X-FI usb
    [GUIDE] Installing and Overclocking the AMD 7970m in the M17x R3...an illustrated guide
    [GUIDE] How to Install a new cpu in the M17x R3...an illustrated guide

Notebook Geek

So pk - 1 seems to be the winner here. Ive installed/repasted so many heat sinks over the years i have gotten pretty good at installing them, never used the credit card method, always seemed more of a hassle than it was worth.

Regards,
    Howard C

Notebook Deity

I personally think OCZ freeze is the best, and this is largely in part because of the thermal compounds it's among the Easiest to use/apply.
    2012 Macbook Pro 15" 2.3ghz 650m, Retina, 8gig ram, 256 gig SSD
    H2O Desktop, i5 750, 780 GTX , 27" LCD, 16gb DDR3 Corsair, Samsung SSD 512gb
    2013 Macbook Pro 15" 3.8 Ghz 750m 2gb, Retina, 16gb ram, 512 gig SSD
    Dell XPS 9530 3.2 Ghz 750m 2gb, QHD, 16gig ram, 512 mSata SSD, 91whr Batt

Notebook Geek

Cool, did you buy the PK-1 in Canada? I am lost here in Quebec. I might wait until my next trip down to Ontario over Easter to obtain a tube somewhere.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SlickDude80 View Post
    I will compress 6 months of discussion, research and experimentation here. I've used PK-1, AS5, MX-4, OCZ FREEZE on my laptop and IC7 in desktops in the last 6 months. The winner: PK-1

I agree with both Kent and Beaverman

Very important to apply the paste well...so from that perspective, the application of the paste is really important. Don't use the creditcard spread method, let the heatsink spread the paste via compression. Also ease of use is important. IC Diamond is a real pain the behind to work with. It doesn't spread easily. However, MX-4, AS5, PK-1 spread easily

SO...going further to this, it is really important to get a paste that will work well regardless of how you apply it. The best one available right now that works well with moderate contact between CPU/GPU die and heatsink is Prolimatech PK-1 (which is what i use)

My GPU runs 67c in Furmark after 10 mins
    My CPU cores hover between 71c - 73c after 20 mins, completely 100% loaded with prime95

AS5 is still decent, but only works well under the most optimal spread/contact situations between heatsink and CPU/GPU die.

IC Diamond works well under bad contact situations, but it doesn't improve much when the contact improves. and like Widezu alluded to, IC Diamond will scratch the heck out of your CPU and GPU dies so avoid this one

Here is the bible of cooling as far as i'm concerned. Click on moderate contact for what you might expect in a laptop:

2011 Thermal Compound Roundup Results Compilation | Skinnee Labs
    Alienware M17x R3 | Core i7-2760QM | GTX580M 2GB w/ Optimus | FHD screen | 16GB RAM DC1867MHz 10-10-10-27 | 240GB OCZ Agility3 SSD | 500GB 7200 RPM HDD | Bigfoot Networks Killer Wireless-N 1103 | Dell Wireless 375 Bluetooth
    Used for engineering simulation work, not for games

Notebook Evangelist

I've used pk-1 and AS-5.

PK-1 wins hands down. I never exceeded 65 deg C on the gpu with pk-1.
    With AS-5, I've hit 67 deg C.

I will be going back to PK-1 shortly.
    M17x R3: 2630QM, 12 GB RAM, A08 MODDED BIOS, 750 GB + 128GB Crucial M4, 6970m, Tactx Mouse, Cooler Master Ergostand, (Dell 6990m Driver) Currently: 6990m + FHD Screen + BIGFOOT KILLER 1103

http://ted.ph

Plus 1 for team PK-1!
    M17X R3 - i7-2920XM OEM@4Ghz - AMD 7970M - 8GB HyperX@1866Mhz
    Flash your RAM to 1866Mhz

Developing
    - http://ted.ph/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast