Quantcast Upgrade my 260m SLI? (M17x R1)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Upgrade my 260m SLI? (M17x R1)

Hello everyone,

I own an Alienware M17x that I purchased in August of '09. It currently has two NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M's. I am not an expert with graphics cards, and they are probably the only computer component that I am not well acquainted with..

I am fairly sure that my current 260m's are MXM 3.0, and I was thinking about upgrading to 560m SLI or a Raedon 6970m CrossfireX?

Would this even be possible with an M17x? Doing some reading I found out that power consumption might be the biggest issue with an upgrade like this if I do go through with it.

Thanks!

Kyle

Notebook Geek

Default Re: Upgrade my 260m SLI? (M17x R1)

Hi there.
    I've seen M17xR2 user with dual 6990.
    Your MXM slot is 3.0 so techincal side, it should match, put you should worried about heat dissipation. Not sure you can go for dual 560'.
    Power consuption are the same (150W).
    Actual : M17xR3 2820QM / 580M GTX 0.92v / 4Go 1600 /128Go SSD 22K 3dmark 2006 / 18K Vantage
    Mini : HP Zacate 3130 SF / SC2 Friendly
    Past : M17x / M17x R1 / Medion Akoya X7811/ Asus M60j / XPS 1730

Notebook Evangelist

Some people reported that none of those cards works on R1. Biggest issue so far for those cards is making them to work !

Best option: Radeon HD 5870

Alienware M17x | Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9300 @3.06 GHz | NVIDIA Geforce SLI GTX 280M | 8 GB RAM RAM 1333 MHz | RGB LED | 2x500 GB 7200 rpm

Quote Originally Posted by tyranus7 View Post
    Some people reported that none of those cards works on R1. Biggest issue so far for those cards is making them to work !

Best option: Radeon HD 5870
    How would I go about utilizing crossfire?
    Would I simply buy 2 cards?

NBR Spectre

Yes, two cards and a crossfire ribbon/cable, assuming you already have the two heatsinks and fans.
    You should also consider buying thermal pads and a tube of thermal paste.

Alienware M11x R2 | Alienware M17x R2 | custom desktop Alienware area-51 ALX |
    Alienware M17x nVIDIA Green

Join the Official NBR ALIENWARE Group

Quote Originally Posted by katalin_2003 View Post
    Yes, two cards and a crossfire ribbon/cable, assuming you already have the two heatsinks and fans.
    You should also consider buying thermal pads and a tube of thermal paste.
    I have tons of thermal paste leftover from when I used to do xbox repair :P
    1) Any recommended places I should purchase the card and pads?
    2) Is the performance gain really worth the cost (5870m Crossfire)?
    3) Is it recommended I wait awhile since I only bought the computer 2 years ago?

The problem I have with this is that the graphics card came out just at the start of '10, only about half a year after my purchase. This seems a little stupid, to buy old technology to replace older technology. Won't I run into the same problem in a year or two?

NBR Spectre

1) I can't recommend any place to purchase the cards but about thermal pads, the fujiploy are known to offer a good performance.
    2) That's for you to decide based on what you do.
    3) Again, only you or nobody can answer that:
    -Waiting for the prices to drop more is your choice.
    -Waiting for new cards to show up, nobody can tell you now if they will function on this machine.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleKing
    This seems a little stupid, to buy old technology to replace older technology. Won't I run into the same problem in a year or two?
    Well, nothing better was confirmed as fully functional on the M17x so if you want better or newer go ahead and be the first to try.
    Also, bear in mind that "a year or two" is a lot in technology world.

Alienware M11x R2 | Alienware M17x R2 | custom desktop Alienware area-51 ALX |
    Alienware M17x nVIDIA Green

Join the Official NBR ALIENWARE Group

Notebook Consultant

I'm waiting on some 5870m to come in the mail to upgrade me from sli 280m. I personally think it's a good investment since it will add a lot of graphics horsepower to your machine with room for much more overclocking. Flashing the bios a lot of people have achieved overclocks of 900+ mhz on the core which is faster than the desktop 5770, so if you crossfire them and get a good overclock you can actually get more fps than a desktop 5870 which is very impressive in my opinion. The 260m are like desktop 8800 gt, good cards but showing their age very heavily. Even in sli they're getting outperformed by a lot of the new cards

Quote Originally Posted by katalin_2003 View Post
    1) I can't recommend any place to purchase the cards but about thermal pads, the fujiploy are known to offer a good performance.
    2) That's for you to decide based on what you do.
    3) Again, only you or nobody can answer that:
    -Waiting for the prices to drop more is your choice.
    -Waiting for new cards to show up, nobody can tell you now if they will function on this machine.

Well, nothing better was confirmed as fully functional on the M17x so if you want better or newer go ahead and be the first to try.
    Also, bear in mind that "a year or two" is a lot in technology world.
    Turns out I don't need a new card.. Did a full stripdown of my M17x, and when I got to the two 260Ms, I knew what the problem was. The piece that leads the fan to the actual output on the computer was covered solid in dust. Computer runs maxed most games with no overheating, and the fan is barely noticeable now! The max my GPU's got was 60*c! That's what it would've been from 5 mins of doing nothing at the desktop before..

Thanks for your help everyone!

And I understand that 2 years is a lot in technology, but my 260's seem like they still run in a usable fashion. Looks like I can save the money for a future upgrade!

Notebook Deity

hey if it works for you, thats great. the longer you wait, the bigger the upgrade will be.

you're right, dust is a major killer.
    M17X R2: 920xm, 6970m XFire, 8gb ram, wuxga (1200p), 120gb corsair SSD + 750gb wd blue, Killer Nic 1103

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast