Quantcast Age of Empires 2 The Conquerors Fix

+ Reply to Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Age of Empires 2 The Conquerors Fix

Hello everyone,

Like many of the AOE fans here, I have been desperate to find a fix to the instant-crash that is usually found with AOE 2 The Conquerors on Alienware systems running Windows x64. (AOE2 Standard ran fine).

After much trawling over the internet, and finding nothing here is something I have come up with.

Move your "Age of Empires II" folder into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\"

So the folder will show as "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II"

Find the "age2_x1" Executable, sometimes found in the folder "Age2_x1".

Right click it, create shortcut.

Right click the shortcut, click Properties.

In the target box you have the folder's and the exe file, which are all enclosed within "".

So it will look like this: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age2_x1\age2_x1.exe" most likely.

You must add a prefix to the end of it, so that it looks like this:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age2_x1\age2_x1.exe" NoStartup Msync NOSC Mfill 800

Make sure to put a space in between each command!

Click on the "Compatibility" tab at the top of the "Properties" menu, Tick "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3".

Tick "Run in 256 colors"

Tick "Disable visual themes"

Tick "Run this program as an administrator"

Run and play!

NOTE: Single Player is only enabled if you either own the CD, or if you have lost the CD and own a "No-Cd" version of the executable.

EXTRA NOTE: I have sometimes noticed an occasional crash and there is still the issue of the occasional colour problem, HOWEVER, it is playable and that is all that matters.

EXTRA, EXTRA NOTE: I have been experimenting and using a "No-Cd" version of the executable that has solved the colour problem for now. Plus it means I don't have to keep slamming in the CD all the time!

Please post if you have tried this, or done better!
    Please rep if it works for you!
    <3

Default Re: Age of Empires 2 The Conquerors Fix

Thanks for this, it works great.

But the problem is, programs such as Gameranger or Voobly require a .exe file, which shortcuts aren't...

Any idea to make it working for multiplayer games?

Thanks a lot!

Notebook Consultant

I remember getting this to play on voobly, had to install VMware, with windows XP installed on that....... Played great and even in widescreen!
    M17x-R2 Lunar silver | I7-940XM | 16gb corsair DDR3 | Dual HD ATI 6970's X-fire! | 1920x1200 RGBLED | Bigfoot Killer 1102 | 2 x OCZ vertex 2 240gb SSD in RAID 0 | 750gb Toshiba internal HDD mod | Razer Orochi | R.A.T. 5 | Razor Nostromo | USB 3.0

Company Representative

Thanks Drominus I've been looking for that haha. I had to play it on my old computer until now xD
    Alienware L. Porras
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty, check our disassemble videos on YouTube
    Quickest way to get support from Dell: Twitter via @AlienwareTech or Facebook.com/Alienware using the "message" link. I can't always reply to PM's.

Notebook Deity

can you still play that game online? Does anyone know if aoe 3 and its expansions still active with members?

I f*cking love you man. You have no idea!
    I`ve been waiting to play this game since i brought this Alienware notebook, and finally I can play it! Thanks to you!

Also,
    Quote Originally Posted by EX Stark View Post
    Thanks for this, it works great.

But the problem is, programs such as Gameranger or Voobly require a .exe file, which shortcuts aren't...

Any idea to make it working for multiplayer games?

Thanks a lot!
    I would make a .exe file to execute the age2_x1.exe with the shortcut modifications ( NoStartup Msync NOSC Mfill 800) if only I knew how. Feels bad being such a dum-bass. Can someone teach me how to do it?
    Already made up a .bat file to execute the game with the changes but it does nothing with the problem. Gameranger will only accept .exe files, which .bat also aren't.

Problem (actually not) solved!
    What have I done? well, i created a .bat file use a converter to compile to .exe and placed somewhere, then took gameranger to there and profited!

Soo in order to do it yourself:

start creating a .txt file, name it age2fix
    In the file u paste this: Age2_x1\age2_x1.exe NoStartup Msync NOSC Mfill 800
    Save as... age2fix.bat and change the "save as type:" to "All Files"
    Now download some .bat to .exe converter (hint: use google to find some one, or pick this one: link removed due uselessness )
    Convert (using the x32 version if you are using the gameranger)
    Rename the age2fix.exe file to age2_x1.exe

Or if your too lasy and trust me enought: link removed due uselessness

Now place the file in the Age of Empires II folder, something like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II
    Open the Gameranger or soo, select that age2_x1.exe file that we created in the Edit > Options... > Browse...
    Done.
    Didn`t worked at all. In this case gameranger stay linked to the .bat file that became an .exe file, so when gameranger send orders to the game to open and enter the room it will tell the new .exe we made up that actually does nothing at all. In this case the game will open but may not enter the room.
    Last edited by Pardinho; 18th November 2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Problem solved! But not solved.