Quantcast Maximum safe temperature for i7 920?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default Maximum safe temperature for i7 920?

Playing around with SetFSB, at BLCK 160@2.2 Mhz and 5% OC 150 mv in BIOS I was running Crysis 2 "extreme" settings 1920x1200 and hit a maximum temperature of 94 C in Hwinfo32.

I assume this is very high?

GPU's registered 75 and 77 C max.

Dialing it back to 75 mv and going to just limit the OC to 5% in BIOS.
    M18x R2: Nebula Red | i7-3920xm @4.4 Ghz | 680M SLI | 16GB HyperX 1600Mhz DDR3 | 256 GB SSD | Intel Centrino Ultimate 6300 | SteelSeries Sensei Wireless | Razer Orbweaver Elite 8,920 Firestrike

Desktop: Corsair Air 540 | Asus RIVBE | i7 4930 @ 4.6GHz | EVGA 780 Ti SC w/ACX SLI | 4x8 Corsair Vengeance Pro @2133MHz | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Corsair RM850 | Asus ROG Swift w/ Nvidia 3D Vision 2 | Win7 Pro | 19,031 Firestrike w/ everyday OC (1241 core / 1851 memory @ 1.187V)

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Maximum safe temperature for i7 920?

Anything over 90 on the cpu is definitely in the danger zone. Over 80 is where I get a a bit squeamish. Gpus are 90+ = bad
    M17x r3 3d 2720qm

Lost in the MYST

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBunny View Post
    Anything over 90 on the cpu is definitely in the danger zone. Over 80 is where I get a a bit squeamish. Gpus are 90+ = bad
    What he meant to say was that anything over 90 is in the D-D-D-Danger Zone!

Alienware M17xR2
    Core i7 920XM | 256GB Samsung SSD + 500 GB Seagate Momentus | 17" 102% Wide Gamut 1920 x 1200 RGBLED | Blu-ray Burner | ATI Mobility Radeon 5870 x2 | 8GB DDR3@1333MHZ | Bigfoot Killer Wireless -N 1103 | Soundblaster X-FI Surround 5.1 Pro + TB HPA2 True 5.1 Headset w/ TB Z6a In line amp

ThrottleStop Author

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBunny View Post
    Anything over 90 on the cpu is definitely in the danger zone.

The Processor Hot signal does not go active until 100C. Intel says when that happens, "...the processor has reached its maximum safe operating temperature." The thermal shut down temperature to protect the CPU from damage isn't until 125C so 90C isn't hurting anything.

vulcan78: Have you tried using ThrottleStop? Most 920XM users get their best results by leaving the BCLK at 133 MHz and then using ThrottleStop to adjust the turbo multipliers higher. You can also use ThrottleStop to adjust the Turbo TDP/TDC limits higher so you get more turbo boost when fully loaded. These are the settings that let you unlock the 920XM beast.

Increasing the core voltage usually results in too much heat so your maximum overclock becomes limited by that.

Notebook Deity

Agreed, keeping the BCLK at 133 and adjusting the turbo multi's with throttlestop gives me the best results on my 920xm (which I used for a week and am selling) and my current 940xm.

Also, both the latest A10 and test bios will drop your bios OC back to default when your system goes to sleep, so it is useless for people like me (who actually use sleep/hibernation) when moving between buildings.

As for temps, my systems typically have the cpu at 80-85c when I run folding@home for extended periods.

I have yet to have my system throttle due to heat as I don't let my cpu get above 95c and only my 2011 mbp gets that high (91c) when folding.

Now, my gpu's are a different story all together (rift gets my crossfire 8570's at ~84c each after a few hours of play even after the mods).

D.
    FOR SALE - Intel i7 920xm OEM SLBLW

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post

The Processor Hot signal does not go active until 100C. Intel says when that happens, "...the processor has reached its maximum safe operating temperature." The thermal shut down temperature to protect the CPU from damage isn't until 125C so 90C isn't hurting anything.

vulcan78: Have you tried using ThrottleStop? Most 920XM users get their best results by leaving the BCLK at 133 MHz and then using ThrottleStop to adjust the turbo multipliers higher. You can also use ThrottleStop to adjust the Turbo TDP/TDC limits higher so you get more turbo boost when fully loaded. These are the settings that let you unlock the 920XM beast.

Increasing the core voltage usually results in too much heat so your maximum overclock becomes limited by that.
    Thanks for all the help with this everyone!

Ok I have throttlestop, but I am still confused a bit, i read your instructions in your guide, am I supposed to increase the multiplier of my 920xm from 12 to 13 and thats it? Could you please recommend some good settings that would improve the performance, not necessarily to attain high 3DMark scores for 15 minutes but to provide an enduring, optimal high performance tune that keeps the CPU temp below ~85-90 C?

BLCK 133? So should I reduce the OC in BIOS from 5% to 0? With 5% im initially at BLCK 150 in setSFB if Im not mistaken.

Also, should I revert the voltage back from 75 mV to the initial voltage in BIOS whilst using throttlestop?

Thank you for the program, it is marvelous, and very selfless of you to go through all of the work with it!
    M18x R2: Nebula Red | i7-3920xm @4.4 Ghz | 680M SLI | 16GB HyperX 1600Mhz DDR3 | 256 GB SSD | Intel Centrino Ultimate 6300 | SteelSeries Sensei Wireless | Razer Orbweaver Elite 8,920 Firestrike

Desktop: Corsair Air 540 | Asus RIVBE | i7 4930 @ 4.6GHz | EVGA 780 Ti SC w/ACX SLI | 4x8 Corsair Vengeance Pro @2133MHz | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Corsair RM850 | Asus ROG Swift w/ Nvidia 3D Vision 2 | Win7 Pro | 19,031 Firestrike w/ everyday OC (1241 core / 1851 memory @ 1.187V)

ThrottleStop Author

With a 920XM, the Set Multiplier setting in ThrottleStop should be set to Turbo. After that, you control the maximum turbo multiplier by clicking on the TRL button. This lets you adjust the maximum multiplier you want your CPU to use depending on how many cores are in the active state. Most M17xR2 bios versions have this set to 24, 24, 24, 24. If yours is set like this then you might want to try adjusting the TPL - Turbo Power Limits first. You can gain a significant amount of performance by increasing the amount of power your CPU can use but you need to keep a close eye on your core temperatures because more power equals more heat.

I wouldn't use the 5% overclock while playing with ThrottleStop and you're probably not going to need the 75 mV voltage mod either. You should be able to gain more overall performance by playing with the TDP and turbo multiplier settings.

You need to run a fairly consistent CPU dependent benchmark like wPrime when playing with these settings so you can get a better feel for how much you can increase the CPU performance. When wPrime first starts, you might need to hold down the shift key so it skips the hardware detection phase which is a little buggy on some computers.

While wPrime is running, you will be able to watch ThrottleStop to see what multiplier your CPU is actually running at. At the default TDP/TDC settings, a fully loaded 920XM won't be running at the full 24 multiplier because of turbo throttling. Post some screen shots if you need some help.

Notebook Deity

Doing some searching I found an older thread here where a 920xm owner used the following settings with Great Success! (Kazahk accent)

Ok, been playing around with Throttlestop to try and unlock full power of this fancy schmancy processor.

Downloaded latest version, and had a quick look around the forums to see what I should set it it to. Saw a reference to TDP/TDC of 90/75 and set multiplier to 25 as an easy and quick overclock, so decided to try that first.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alie...ing-temps.html

Ok so Im going to make the following changes:

Revert to 0 OC and no additional voltage in BIOS

monitor multipliers with wprime

would the referenced TDC/TDP settings above of 90/75 be a good place to start?

ThrottleStop Author

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan78 View Post
    would the referenced TDC/TDP settings above of 90/75 be a good place to start?
    Would driving down a mountain with the accelerator pedal pressed firmly to the floor be a good place to start if you just bought a new car? Probably not.
    But it would be fun.

I like to gradually overclock. Bump the TDP/TDC settings up a little at a time so you can watch how things go. When exploring, if you start too high, you can end up crashing and getting a lot of BSODs. You don't have to fully overclock your CPU all in one night. This is a hobby so take it easy.

If you go in smaller steps then you can learn what works and what doesn't as you go along. If you immediately shoot for the maximum and don't make it, you'll be disappointed. You might also think that ThrottleStop is crap or you got a bad CPU when the real problem might be a lack of getting familiar with how these CPUs like to operate.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post
    Would driving down a mountain with the accelerator pedal pressed firmly to the floor be a good place to start if you just bought a new car? Probably not.
    But it would be fun.

I like to gradually overclock. Bump the TDP/TDC settings up a little at a time so you can watch how things go. When exploring, if you start too high, you can end up crashing and getting a lot of BSODs. You don't have to fully overclock your CPU all in one night. This is a hobby so take it easy.

If you go in smaller steps then you can learn what works and what doesn't as you go along. If you immediately shoot for the maximum and don't make it, you'll be disappointed. You might also think that ThrottleStop is crap or you got a bad CPU when the real problem might be a lack of getting familiar with how these CPUs like to operate.
    lol! Good advice, although I did use the above settings without checking back here first, thankfully my car and I are still in one piece.

Results: TS Bench 8 threads

32M-13.724 seconds
    1024M- 441.611 seconds

Multiplier: 25x133.1 MHz= 3325.1 Mhz

Max temperature: 91 C
    Idle Temp: 40 C
    Ambient Temp: ~65 F

Wprime:

1024M 376.403 seconds
    Max temp: 94 C

Observations playing Crysis 2 in 1920x1200 extreme settings, performance similar, slightly better than setfsb but MUCH LOWER temperature, max temp: 81 C, Max GPU temps were also down a few degrees to 72 and 74 C.

With the 5% OC in BIOS, 150 mV and BLCK 160 (2.2 MHz) I was running hot, again 94 C and for the GPU's 75 and 77 C.

My pc would freeze up/shut off if I attempted to use setFSB without the additional voltage in Crysis 2 at BLCK 160.

So yes this is an amazing program youve made, thank you very much, I will be donating via paypal as no-one should work for free.

Do you think i can push this thing further, or should I just call leave it here? Would it be possible to run both 5% OC in conjunction with the existing throttlestop settings?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast