Quantcast M17x R3 SSD and HDD questions!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Prophet

Default M17x R3 SSD and HDD questions!

I am wondering if I should get an SSD and if I do, how I will balance that with a 750GB hard drive. My SSD will most likely be 120GB or 128GB. What files should be dedicated to the SSD? And what about TRIM and the decreased performance?

Also, I will be getting a 320GB hard drive with my M17x, but will be using another hard drive (SSD or 750GB), so what is the best way to reinstall everything just as it was onto another hard drive? Copy the drive image?

Thanks

Mods if you feel this belongs in the SSD section, I guess it could go either way, please move it there.
    Last edited by Bartlett; 22nd April 2011 at 02:59 PM.
    Alienware 17 | i7-4800QM | 16GB 1600MHz | GTX 780M | 256GB Crucial M4
    750GB 7200 RPM WD Scorpio Black | 1080P 60Hz | Blu-Ray | Windows 7 HP

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: M17x R3 SSD and HDD questions!

From what I have read, imaging onto a SSD is not recommended. Do a clean install and use this thread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alie...ndows-7-a.html

If you go with SSD, make sure you disable the paging file (maybe keep a paging file on the other hard drive), defragger, and hibernation (optional - saves space). Set your drive to AHCI in BIOS BEFORE installing Win7.

The resource CD that comes with the system is missing some stuff, so you will need to hit the dell drivers page. Namely, my CD was missing the USB 3.0 drivers and AlienFX software.

Notebook Deity

1-Move all files to external HD
    2-Reinstall windows+All applications on the SSD
    3-Copy all Media (Videos/music/Games/etc to HD)
    4-Move Games you play to SSD and change their path (there are tools for that) once you finish the game move it back to the HD

That way you will benefit from the SSD with every Game/app/OS.
    Trim issues almost don't exist with latest SSD

120GB will be a plenty using the method i mentioned above, i usually have 5-6Games on the SSD at the time, the rest are applications and OS (and i still get 25GB left with my 120GB Drive)

The Prophet

Quote Originally Posted by Tapakidney View Post
    From what I have read, imaging onto a SSD is not recommended. Do a clean install and use this thread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alie...ndows-7-a.html

If you go with SSD, make sure you disable the paging file (maybe keep a paging file on the other hard drive), defragger, and hibernation (optional - saves space). Set your drive to AHCI in BIOS BEFORE installing Win7.

The resource CD that comes with the system is missing some stuff, so you will need to hit the dell drivers page. Namely, my CD was missing the USB 3.0 drivers and AlienFX software.
    Ah I see, thanks for the link and the warning on the missing drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by HSN21 View Post
    1-Move all files to external HD
    2-Reinstall windows+All applications on the SSD
    3-Copy all Media (Videos/music/Games/etc to HD)
    4-Move Games you play to SSD and change their path (there are tools for that) once you finish the game move it back to the HD

That way you will benefit from the SSD with every Game/app/OS.
    Trim issues almost don't exist with latest SSD

120GB will be a plenty using the method i mentioned above, i usually have 5-6Games on the SSD at the time, the rest are applications and OS (and i still get 25GB left with my 120GB Drive)
    So you would suggest keeping all commonly used programs on the SSD. Then the games/videos/music/random files are kept on the HD and when used copy them to the SSD then change their path.

What software do you recommend for changing their path?

Also what about performance degradation over time?

Thanks

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dude55 View Post
    So you would suggest keeping all commonly used programs on the SSD. Then the games/videos/music/random files are kept on the HD and when used copy them to the SSD then change their path.

What software do you recommend for changing their path?
    Also what about performance degradation over time?

Thanks
    Moving Pictures/music/videos to SSD is near useless because there is almost no load to reduce, i only move current played Games to the SSD, 99% of my games are from Steam so it's a matter of clicking a button to move games from one drive to the other, There is a program called "Steam Mover" which will do the job for you

Degradation over time take Many years before it get noticeable with decent SSD with Trim and by that time i don't think you would care about 120GB SSD (they should be much bigger/faster/cheaper after few years)

http://lifehacker.com/#!5626931/stea...-primary-drive

Using such a setup even 60GB might be enough, but i wouldn't be comfortable with only 60GB, 120GB leave a room for you in the future.

The Prophet

Ah that Steam app is great.

I may go the route of an SSD and if so I will get the 120GB Intel 510.
    I'll put just programs and some games on it along with basic documents. Do you think that is worth the $300?

I would put Videos/Photos/Music and various other things will go on the 750GB HD.

Thanks

Notebook Consultant

Dont worry about Windows 7 settings when you install the SSD. Win 7 will automatically detect the SSD and adjust itself accordingly (ie turn off defrag etc.) Also, the TRIM command will be issued automatically to the SSD, so you can just relax and sit back and do nothing. After all, this is 2011! Don't tinker with any Win 7 settings, its all done automatically.

And yes, why not install the most played game on the SSD. No reason not to. Win 7 will take care of you and the SSD. Just relax.
    Alienware M11x R1, A05 Bios, OC SU7300 @ 1.73 Ghz, 2GB RAM (soon 4) , Momentus XT

Alienware M17x-R2, Core i5 520m, Crossfire 5870 2GB, 640GB RAID 0, 4GB RAM, 1900x1200 RGB LED

Custom Desktop Lian Li PC-V352B Cube Case, Core i7 920 OC @ 3.2 Ghz, Radeon 5870, 3GB RAM, 5TB HDD (+ dual WD Raptors)

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dude55 View Post
    Ah that Steam app is great.

I may go the route of an SSD and if so I will get the 120GB Intel 510.
    I'll put just programs and some games on it along with basic documents. Do you think that is worth the $300?

I would put Videos/Photos/Music and various other things will go on the 750GB HD.

Thanks
    Intel 510 120GB 299$ is a very solid choice, If i were to buy a new SSD today i would get it or go for C300 64GB (119$) if my budget was really low, Don't go with the Vertex Drives though, they are nice drives but have issues with the m17x

Notebook Deity

Hmm, I currently have the vertex 3 ordered but still have to wait a while before it ships. It was appealing since it claimed 500mb read/write. Intel has less read and half the write. You'd still recommend the intel 510 in that case for roughly the same price?

Surely, somebody has gotten the vertex 3 to work somewhere.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by zergslayer69 View Post
    Hmm, I currently have the vertex 3 ordered but still have to wait a while before it ships. It was appealing since it claimed 500mb read/write. Intel has less read and half the write. You'd still recommend the intel 510 in that case for roughly the same price?

Surely, somebody has gotten the vertex 3 to work somewhere.

Vertex 3 =
    - Average Speed much lower than maximum speed (in reality it's faster than intel by a little not much)
    - 120GB version is actually much slower than the 240GB Version

Intel =
    -Average and max speed almost the same
    -More reliable, Vertex 3 already have issues with many other laptops not only m17x

I don't know which you have ordered, if you ordered the 240GB version Vertex 3 you should keep it, the extra speed might be worth the little trouble you gotta go through to let it work but if you are buying the 120GB version I'd say cancel it and get the intel drive if i were you.

From anantech Vertex 3 Review Conclusion:
    if you're going to be working with a lot of incompressible data (e.g. pictures, movies) on your drive then you'll want to either go for the 240GB version or perhaps consider a more traditional controller. The performance impact the 120GB sees when working with incompressible data just puts it below what I would consider the next-generation performance threshold.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast