Quantcast Alienware M14x R1 Vs Alienware M14x R2 - Page 9

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Gunmicha, De, Ribura
    C:\Program Files\intel\Nvidia\Alienware\Dell\m14x Posts: 99,999

Default Re: Alienware M14x R1 Vs Alienware M14x R2

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mischief View Post
    That's an article on the dedktop chips, not the mobile versions.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    They probably forgot to turn off their heater while doing these benchmark. Hotter sound like sexy sometimes.
    GONE - ALIENWARE M11x i7 640UM」PCと同じ性能 700p | GT335m | 8GB Ram 500GB HDD | N1103
    ALIENWARE M14x i7-3820QM」がノートPCに収まった 900p | GT 650m | 8GB Ram | 512GB SSD | 32GB MMC | 32GB mSATA | 1TB Optical Drive | N2230
    GONE - ALIENWARE M18x i7-2920XM」ハイエンドデスクトップ 1080p | Xfire 6990m | 16GB Ram | 256GB SSD + 1TB Samsung M8 | N6300
    http://www.youtube.com/user/iPhantomhives
    Free Gamebooster - http://goo.gl/iFmUnl
    Free Victual 7.1 Surround Sound http://goo.gl/zS373R
    Free Discount - http://SHOP.COM/SKET

the alienware m14x r2 with the second generation processor, how would it run bf3? it has the nvidia GT650M 2gb and 12gb RAM.

Notebook Consultant

BF3 --> 50-65 fps on high according to owners. Depends on 720p or 900p.
    New and improved m14xR2 - I7, 650 with 2 geebees, some wifi's, SSDs.
    clienterror "Out of curiosity are you one of those guys that buys a BMW but has the crapiest engine and no options with roll up windows just to say you have a BMW?"

For those with an M14x R2 dealie...did Alienware address the loud fan that kicks in with the R1 whenever it gets too hot? Every review I read mentioned that 50+db noise when the fan kicks in.

Notebook Evangelist

Imagine the GPU they could've fit if the Optical drive had been removed.
    Hopefully the R3 will explore this...
    Collection
    Alienware M11x R1 - Sold M17x R3 x 2- Sold M11x R3 - Sold M14x R1 x2- Sold M15x - Sold Compal FL90 - Sold Dell M1330 - Sold Dell Precision M6600 - Sold Sony Vaio CW - Sold Dell M1710- Sold HP 8510p - Giveaway Asus N10J - Sold Msi Gx60- Sold Samsung Q320 - Sold Asus C90s - Sold Asus eee Pc 1000e - Sold Dell Vostro 1000 - Sold Dell Xps 15 - Sold Some HP laptop I can't remember - Sold Dell Xps M1530 - Sold Dell Xps 15 x2 - Sold
    Currently Own: Alienware M17x R3

Was looking to upgrade my laptop and after a week or so decided that the Alienware M14X R2 seems a good choice with a good bang for buck, but before investing £1200 (24 month plan direct from Dell) I thought it best to ask what the life expectancy I should expect from it. I will most likely be using around half of its capacity 3/4 of the time with an average of 8 hours per day / 6 days a week. This will be mainly surfing the web, playing poker, exel spreadesheets & databases, watching DVD's, some fairly heavy down/upload traffic & maybe 5-6 hours (per week) playing fairly demanding games. So disbarring any unforeseen accidents would this laptop keep going strong for around 5-6 years if treated with care. From my experience the models half this price range last around 4 years but you notice a steady decline in performance as each year passes to the point of irritation, and it's hard to compare todays technology with that of 2008 (for me anyway). Also it seems the more powerful the machine the more demanding the resources get, so will these factors end up balancing out resulting in a life span equal to it's predecessors and on a par with the degradation of system processes? Sorry if this is a long-winded and, for the time being at least, unanswerable question but I just know the basics when it comes to computers, and for the price tag I need something built to last more than just a few years, my theory is that if something is twice the pricetag then it should last twice as long.

Here's a summary of the specifications - £1,068.98 inc VAT & Shipping

Module Description Show Details
    Base Alienware M14x Base
    Operating System English Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
    Memory 8192MB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
    Video Card 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M
    Hard Drive 500GB 7,200rpm SATA 3Gb/s HDD
    Optical Devices DVD+/-RW (DVD, CD read and write)
    Sound Creative Sound Blaster Recon3Di with THX TruStudio Pro Software
    Wireless Networking Killer Wireless-N 1202 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO for Gaming & Video and Bluetooth 4.0
    Primary Battery Primary 8-cell 63W/HR LI-ION
    Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
    Camera Integrated Skype HD Certified FullHD Camera with dual digital
    LCD 14.1" WideHD+ (1600x900) WLED with TrueLife

Thanks.

Notebook Enthusiast

Here’s some thoughts in no particular order:

Well Alienware are definitely good for build quality, so as long as you treat your laptop well there’s no reason it wouldn’t last as well or better than any other laptop for a few years.
    After this amount of time though, there’s some unavoidable general facts that any laptop is subject to:
    The hard drive is mechanical, thus it will definitely eventually fail. Hard drive performance drops off over time, but they can and do fail spontaneously. 5-6 years is a long time to expect the hard drive to last. Alienware generally use Seagate hard drives, which are OK.
    Generally its bloatware, running processes, installed programs and sometimes virus scanners that cause steady slow down over time rather than hard drive issues. You can solve this by making your laptop a very tightly run ship, or at least reinstall whenever things get slow.

Batteries only last a limited amount of charge cycles. I am yet to hear of a laptop battery lasting 5-6 years still with acceptable performance. There are ways to improve lifespan that you can find out online, but expect to have to replace the battery at least once.
    Finally, with any gaming laptop you get a lot of air drawn through, so you can expect significant dust accumulation and/or fan failure after that long. Be prepared to have to open up the laptop at least one to replace the fan and/or clean out the dust.

As for some specific points and thoughts about using the m14x for 5-6 years:
    The biggest reservation I’d have is that the r2 still uses the r1 chassis, which required serious cooling because of the femi chip.. This is one comparatively chunky, heavy laptop, and wasn’t re-designed to account for Kepler’s lower TDP. With a shift towards an increased focus on performance per Watt and Maxwell arriving next year, manufacturers are able to make thinner, lighter notebooks still with great specs. My guess is that the m14x r3 and many other upcoming laptops will take advantage of this a lot more than the r2 did, so if you buy the r2 you are going to be stuck with quite a chunky laptop for a long time.

Here’s some other points in no particular order:
    The Chassis is metal, so it should have a little less flex that other laptops. It feels solid and well constructed.
    The wifi upgrade options that exist for the m14x are well suited to your needs of heavy downloading/uploading. Both of the upgraded cards have good reviews. My Intel Wireless N card with WiMax has better regular wifi range than any other laptop I’ve used so far.

The amount of processing power required of modern computers has hit a bit of a plateau. An m14x will definitely carry plenty ‘o’ power to do what you have described, I think for the foreseeable future. There’s a general shift towards smaller devices, so developers are thinking smaller and more efficient again. With that said, personally for me, any laptop really starts showing its age after about 2 years. I like to have the latest so I can play games at their optimum. However I think the specs in an r2 bought today would age better than say a laptop purchased in 2006 and still being used now.

Finally another point to consider are the huge changes upcoming in the mobile sector. A lot of new form factors are appearing, and touch screens are the new big thing. Your r2 doesn’t have that, and for now you certainly don’t want Windows 8 on a non-touch screen device. So bear in mind that you’ll probably be using an outdated OS for a while if you buy the r2.

Anyway those are just some thoughts. Good luck!

Thanks, after some serious considerations to the points you raised I've decided against the M14x and will go for something cheaper and to just build a gaming PC, which in the end will be around the same price.

Notebook Deity

I have to say that I do not agree on your statement about windows 8. I have it installed since the day 1 when I got the laptop and you can customize the touch pad to have all that functions of scrolling up/down and left/right, zoom in/out etc. I find it much stable with windows 8 and running much cooler (The cooling part may be because of repasting it).

Overall (I do not say this to give credit to anyone), I believe that this system is way above our expectations with the upgrade of the processor to a such a high level (there are many people having the extreme processor installed as well in this system), none out there do this (I've seen maximum to a 3630qm model). Parts are so easy to upgrade, option to use the wihd / msata, swapping the dvd-rom for a caddy device is way too much. And on top of that, where do you put it has a top of a line GPU with DDR5 memory and most of the games out there run at full settings with no issues. I just got the new Need for Speed Most Wanted and it runs without no issues, settings to the maximum... It's an m14xR2 gaming system, not an ultrabook*.
    You want good customer service and full support? Have no second thoughts!

ALIEN M18XR2 l i7 3920XM | 680 SLi 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866 Mhz | 1.23TB SSD | WHAT A BEAST!

ALIEN 17 | i7 4900MQ | Nvidia GTX 780M | 32GB RAM | 240GB mSATA OS | SAMSUNG SSD EVO 3 X 1TB RAD 0 |

Samsung Series 7 Ultra | i5 3337U | 8 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD | TOUCH SCREEN 1080P 13.3"

Most useful info by Mr. Fox

Gunmicha, De, Ribura
    C:\Program Files\intel\Nvidia\Alienware\Dell\m14x Posts: 99,999

I'm not a pro that could compare mathletics numbers between m14xr1 vs m14xr2,

I had m14x it can't even handle bf3 on ultra setting , only able to play smoothly on medium/high setting 900p.

but m14x-r2 able to handle bf3 on ultra setting 900p , 64 players b2k maps , around 30-20fps , in some rare cases like 2 or 3 vehicle exploded in same time the fps will reduced to 15fps which will slightly little lag.

PS : Armored kill map its killing me :'(
    GONE - ALIENWARE M11x i7 640UM」PCと同じ性能 700p | GT335m | 8GB Ram 500GB HDD | N1103
    ALIENWARE M14x i7-3820QM」がノートPCに収まった 900p | GT 650m | 8GB Ram | 512GB SSD | 32GB MMC | 32GB mSATA | 1TB Optical Drive | N2230
    GONE - ALIENWARE M18x i7-2920XM」ハイエンドデスクトップ 1080p | Xfire 6990m | 16GB Ram | 256GB SSD + 1TB Samsung M8 | N6300
    http://www.youtube.com/user/iPhantomhives
    Free Gamebooster - http://goo.gl/iFmUnl
    Free Victual 7.1 Surround Sound http://goo.gl/zS373R
    Free Discount - http://SHOP.COM/SKET

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast