Quantcast M14x Battlefield 3 Perfomance & Discussion Thread - Page 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Notebook Geek

Default Re: m14x Battlefield 3 Beta Perfomance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pancakes1983 View Post
    So with the turbo boost disabled, without a gpu overclock, is there a massive difference in frame rates, say in Crysis 2, battlefield bad company 2, and games like that?

Say if I go and disable it right now, not touch another thing, will there be a drop in fps?

Cause from the results above with BF3 it seems that the cpu really doesn't matter...

Edit: what I'm trying to get at is, is the GPU a bottle neck for the CPU?
    I noticed without turbo boost, a 4-5 FPS increase, actually (with the same settings as with turbo boost).

So it really doesn't affect BF3 or Crysis 2, at least to me. And you can always overclock the GPU to compensate if it does.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: BF3 Beta + No Turbo Boost

maybe the throtteling between the turbo-boost and default is downing the frames a bit. seen that issue on a thinkpad, as long the cpu is on turbo its good, but the throtteling seems to hit the bus somehow.

maybe you can recreate that effect if you limit the cpu max. power in the windows energy settings to about 80% or smthng. or force it to run at 100% all the time there.

update: just tested it on my m14x, cant reproduce that. if i disable boost, i feel like loosing around 2-5 frames
    Last edited by alroar; 2nd October 2011 at 08:48 AM.

Notebook Geek

I tried turning the turbo boost off and got minimal change in my FPS performance. We shouldn't have to turn off turbo boost to have the game work better. Alienware laptops should be working better default we shouldn't have to tweak them like this.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by creagan1 View Post
    I tried turning the turbo boost off and got minimal change in my FPS performance. We shouldn't have to turn off turbo boost to have the game work better. Alienware laptops should be working better default we shouldn't have to tweak them like this.
    While I agree completely, having a windows machine, especially a gaming one is usually about tweaking. Macs are meant for right out of the box perfection. I have never used a windows pc I felt was perfect right out of the box, (though m14x did come close with such little bloatware)

It would be nice to have it at its prime and full force when you buy it though. If someone really needs that though, they are called consoles :P

Notebook Geek

I'm calling Dell this week for them to replace my m14x. I had my heatsink/fan replaced the tech also repasted thermal temps on my heat sink, gpu and CPU. It's still get 99-100C high tempatures. I find it very VERY annoying that other people have no issues, but even I have a well ventilated room/fan with a 2fan cooling system underneath my laptop. I'm sorta kinda pissed/annoyed lol.

Default Re: M14x BF3 Benchmarks

Question for BF3 for the MX14, I want to get the MX14 here in a few days but i wanted to know if these specs are good enough for bf3

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM 2.0GHz (2.9GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
    WIRELESS CARDS Intel® Wireless-N WiFi Link 1000 a/g/n 1x2 edit
    MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz edit
    HARD DRIVE 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s edit
    LCD PANEL 14.0" High Def+ (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight edit
    WIRELESSHD OR MOBILE BROADBAND None edit
    INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8x SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Slot Load Optical Drive edit
    SOUND OPTIONS Soundblaster® X-Fi™ Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled
    VIDEO CARD 1.5GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology

will i need a better video card or is this not good enough to play bf3?

Question for BF3 for the MX14, I want to get the MX14 here in a few days but i wanted to know if these specs are good enough for bf3

and if you could show me your youtube vidoe my account is speedkillz89 or email me at gawdun@hotmail.com

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GambitVII View Post
    Maybe so. But it seems the videos i have seem look a lot better. That, or its simply because its in motion. I hope there will be another video of the m14x in action soon (for this game at least). How does the m14x do in bad company 2 multiplayer?

I simply want to run the game on high settings and play multiplayer with at least 20 fps.
    This video is done without fraps to avoid the drop in fps while this video is done with fraps and is a lot easier to watch. Looks good to me, especially for alpha. With a little GPU overclocking and further software development (i.e., drivers, the game itself), I expect BF3 will run very smoothly.

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by speedkillz89 View Post

You could play on low or so. The beta is out, and it runs fine, but they said the beta is only like "Medium" graphics of the actual game. It's recommended to have a GTX560 or above (the m17x has that).

Default Re: m14x Battlefield 3 Beta Perfomance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CGSDR View Post
    You can run the game on any driver, but for the recommendation would be either one of these - 275.33 or 285.27 or 285.38 (Built for BF3 Beta) You can download those driver by following the link below:

275.33 (You'll need a modded .inf for this one)
    285.27 (No modded .inf is needed)
    285.38 (No modded .inf is needed)
    LEGEND!! Thanks so much CGSDR.

Finally found some drivers with System Check that works, after weeks of looking.

Is this something Nvidia has changed, or is there a special part of their site I need to look?

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast