Quantcast CPU/GPU Temperature

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Guru

Default CPU/GPU Temperature

I was wondering what are the optimum temperatures of the GPU and CPU, while gaming as well as while just browsing and stuff.
    Like, at what temperature should I start worrying?
    I don't do any overclocking or anything.
    After about 15 minutes of Fifa11 at all settings maxed out, my temps are 75 for GPU and 89,90,91,91 for the CPU cores(measured by speedfan)
    Are they fine?
    PS - I upgraded the BIOS to A05 just because it was there. I don't mind huge jet like noise making fans at all. So if there's a program that can make these fans run faster, I don't mind at all.

Also, should I get a cooling pad? (Any idea how much they cost in India and what type,model,company to buy? I have no idea about them)

1 last thing, if I do overclock the GPU a bit, will the temperature go beyond the "limits" ?

Edit- In the time I wrote all this, the temps have dropped to 61 for GPU and 79,79,82,75 for the CPU cores.

Notebook Deity

Default Re: CPU/GPU Temperature

You should be worried about your CPU. Normal temps for i7 quads under load typically range from high 60's to middle 80's. GPU temps are fine***.

***The problem with your data is that it was only run for 15 minutes. 15 minutes does not reflect the MAXIMUM temperature your CPU/GPU will achieve when stressed for an extended amount of time.

Overclocking is not recommended if you are having overheating issues both as a whole system and/or the GPU. While your GPU temps are fine, your CPU temps may cause throttling if the CPU is stressed for a while (100*C+) and needs to cool off so it won't overheat, therefore it wouldn't even be beneficial to overclock. Only do this if 1. Temps are fine, 2. You REALLY need that extra 5-10% increase in performance.

The reason your temps have dropped recently is because you have stopped stressing the CPU/GPU by minimizing/closing the program. Your web browser does not task your system at all, thus your components downclock themselves to produce less heat when not necessary.

I would recommend running something that will system your CPU intensively such as Orthos, Intel Burn Test, wPrime over an extended amount of time 45-1 hour for 'better' data or any program similar to this to see what your CPU temps can max out at. Anything past 95*C should be a call back to Alienware in my opinion. . .
    My work:

Gateway P-7811FX Review

Unlocked MSI BIOS

MSI MS-16F2 | i7-2920XM ES | AMD 6990M | Plextor M3 Pro 128GB SSD & Seagate 750GB XT | 8GB 1600Mhz| Killer-N 1102 | 1080P | Unlocked BIOS

Notebook Consultant

i found turning physx off my cpu from the nvidea control panel dropped my temps from 90's to mid 70's......
    M14x (Renegade) | i7 2720 / 3.0 GT555 / 6GB Ram / 120gb Agility 3 SSD/ 500gb (7200) / 1600 x 900

Desktop (Viper) Asus P5Q3 deluxe, Q9550, 4gb 1333mhrz, ATI 4870x2.

Notebook Deity

?????

Why was physx set to your CPU? By default is should be set to auto. Plus, that doesn't make sense, because of CUDA (unified shader technology), your GPU is something like 5-10x faster and much more efficient at physx computations than is your CPU. As long as your GPU has more than 32 CUDA cores, your GPU is going to be doing the physx calculations.

Your CPU takes a HUGE hit in performance when it has to compute physx as well. . .
    My work:

Gateway P-7811FX Review

Unlocked MSI BIOS

MSI MS-16F2 | i7-2920XM ES | AMD 6990M | Plextor M3 Pro 128GB SSD & Seagate 750GB XT | 8GB 1600Mhz| Killer-N 1102 | 1080P | Unlocked BIOS

Notebook Guru

So I checked about the physx thing and luckily(rather unluckily) it's already set to Auto
    So for the CPU temps, is there any way to make the fans run louder(faster/better) ?
    I downloaded the MSi Afterburner, and I haven't used it ever, I just wanted to control fan speed but I can't change the scroller position for the fan tab. I can change for the shader clock and memory clock etc(I didn't apply those settings, was just checking) but not the fan tab.
    Are the fans locked?

Notebook Deity

Yup, they are locked through the BIOS. That's why some BIOS updates will cause your fan to run faster or more often than previously, as you stated from A05. No matter what program you try, such as speedfan, you won't be able to manually control the fans.

As for MSi Afterburner, if you were overclocking you'd do what you said, move the sliders to right and click apply, maybe create a profile for your settings, etc.

As for physx, ted264 must've set it to the CPU, because the default is either called auto or "let the application decide".
    My work:

Gateway P-7811FX Review

Unlocked MSI BIOS

Notebook Guru

And as far as I've heard, there's no downgrading in terms of BIOS, right?

Notebook Deity

You can, I've done it multiple times with my P-7811FX. Why are you planning on downgrading? I thought you said A05 caused your fans to be spinning louder(faster).

I would do what I first posted, stress test your computer to see if your CPU reaches ~100*C. If it does, then you have a problem that a BIOS update will NEVER fix. Looks to me like shoddy cooling assembly or a bad thermal paste job, if that's the case.
    My work:

Gateway P-7811FX Review

Unlocked MSI BIOS

Notebook Guru

No, sorry, you misunderstood. My bad. Should have been more clear.
    See, the m14x was cursed with fans that made a LOT of noise and many people got annoyed with that, so AW released the new BIOS which decreases the sound of the fans, hence SOME heat dissipation power is lost(logically).

So I meant I don't mind the louder fans of the A03 BIOS.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by anant1993 View Post
    No, sorry, you misunderstood. My bad. Should have been more clear.
    See, the m14x was cursed with fans that made a LOT of noise and many people got annoyed with that, so AW released the new BIOS which decreases the sound of the fans, hence SOME heat dissipation power is lost(logically).

So I meant I don't mind the louder fans of the A03 BIOS.
    Ah, gotchu. The answer is still yes.
    My work:

Gateway P-7811FX Review

Unlocked MSI BIOS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast