Quantcast Slow download speeds after fresh install

Closed Thread
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Slow download speeds after fresh install

I put in my SSD today and did a fresh install of windows and installed all the drivers off of the alienware disk. After I had done that I tried to connect to the internet via ethernet and I couldn't. I went to the dell site and searched for M14x and it only showed 2 drivers for it. I then went to NBR in batboys post for the M14x launch that is stickyd and clicked on the M14x drivers link there. I downloaded my wireless card drivers as well as the ethernet driver.

My problem is that before I reformatted with this SSD my Steam download speeds were over 3MB/s now they are between 1-1.5MB/s.

Also, my speakers let out some crappy sounds sometimes when I open a folder or play music. A cracking type sound. Sometimes when I start windows again it says in the bottom right that HD sound is installed and nothing sounds bad. My optical drive now sounds like crap part of the time when doing a heavy install like BC2, a knocking type sound.

I tried entering in my service tag on dell's website to get my configs driver's list but it says its invalid?! I then tried running the auto detect and it didn't work. It said it failed to detect what my system was.

This sucks.

Ohh yeah: I downloaded the bio's from batboys link pretty fast after the fresh windows install.
    M14x B-2 Spirit | i7 2720QM | 6GB 1600MHz RAM | 3GB GT555M | 1600x900 | SSD | Intel® Advanced-N WiFi Link 6205 | 60GHz WirelessHD Wireless Display | Internal Bluetooth® 3.0

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Slow download speeds after fresh install

Quote Originally Posted by revdiesel View Post
    I put in my SSD today and did a fresh install of windows and installed all the drivers off of the alienware disk. After I had done that I tried to connect to the internet via ethernet and I couldn't. I went to the dell site and searched for M14x and it only showed 2 drivers for it. I then went to NBR in batboys post for the M14x launch that is stickyd and clicked on the M14x drivers link there. I downloaded my wireless card drivers as well as the ethernet driver.

My problem is that before I reformatted with this SSD my Steam download speeds were over 3MB/s now they are between 1-1.5MB/s.

Also, my speakers let out some crappy sounds sometimes when I open a folder or play music. A cracking type sound. Sometimes when I start windows again it says in the bottom right that HD sound is installed and nothing sounds bad. My optical drive now sounds like crap part of the time when doing a heavy install like BC2, a knocking type sound.

I tried entering in my service tag on dell's website to get my configs driver's list but it says its invalid?! I then tried running the auto detect and it didn't work. It said it failed to detect what my system was.

This sucks.

Ohh yeah: I downloaded the bio's from batboys link pretty fast after the fresh windows install.
    i dont know why the downloads could of changed but I also do hear the crackling noise form my speakers when I open a folder or do something. It's like a pop type noise.

Alienware M14x | i7-2820QM | 4GB DDR3 1600 Mhz | 900P WLED | 80 GB Intel G2 SSD + 500GB WD Black 7200 RPM | Intel 6205 Wifi | Nvidia 1.5 GB GT 555M | Logitech Anywhere MX mouse |

Notebook Enthusiast

i am having the same problem too arg.. soo mess up.. and the stupid intel ssd can't do transfer through usb.. where can I get the cable so I can migrate the old hd to the new ssd? anyone can help me with that?

I experienced the same thing. To fix this, I went to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections. Right click on your wireless adapter, in my case it was Intel 6205. Click on "Configure" then "Advanced". There is an option for transmit power. It currently defaults to "High". Change it to "Medium". This fixed my issue. The reason for this is we have the option to use our laptop as an access point. When it is set to "High", the transmit power creates noise which causes your slow speeds and disconnections. I did this, and it made my internet speeds go back to normal. Let me know if this helps.