Quantcast Auto set games to high priority?

+ Reply to Thread
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Auto set games to high priority?

I have recently taken to setting my games to high priority in task manager, (it helps with the witcher 2 and I think with bc2 also) but I'm kind of sick of doing it manually every time I open a game, its annoying and can even sometimes crash the game by alt tabbing out all the time. Is there a way to have my games to auto set to high priority?
    M11x R1 Core 2 Duo 1.6 Ghz OC Nvidia 335m 585/1405/895 OC Samsung 470 128Gb SSD 3DMark06 Score: 7006

Deadboy90's GPU Overclocking Guide

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Auto set games to high priority?

Don't set it to high since it dedicates your CPU power more to the game, above normal should suffice and using programs like advanced system care and game booster should be more then enough. Setting it on high will create system instability which you have experienced and to answer your question I don't think there is a way

When I'm hungry, I game better; it's like my survival instincts kick in

Notebook Geek

you can create a shortcut to the game and use something like:

start /high "C:\Program Files(x86)\steam\steam.exe"

Just replace C:\Program Files(x86)\steam\steam.exe with the path to your game executable.

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by deadboy90 View Post
    I have recently taken to setting my games to high priority in task manager, (it helps with the witcher 2 and I think with bc2 also) but I'm kind of sick of doing it manually every time I open a game, its annoying and can even sometimes crash the game by alt tabbing out all the time. Is there a way to have my games to auto set to high priority?
    I assume you're trying to do this to squeeze out extra gaming performance. You could do this, but I think this is a waste of time.

1) Almost all games are GPU-limited, not CPU-limited. This general rule about being GPU-limited applies to The Witcher 2 and Bad Company 2. Increasing the amount of CPU power will not increase game performance, since the CPU isn't the bottleneck.

2) A modern CPU is more than capable of handling whatever background tasks that happen while you're running a game. And if it isn't capable of handling your background tasks, then the better solution is to eliminate those background tasks... not force your CPU to re-prioritize its workload.
    Laptop Madness (w/unboxing pics): | 17 Second Boot - POST to Desktop | SSD Boots Windows 7 + Load 27 Apps in 1 Minute | SSD vs HDD Direct Comparison - Identical Drive Images
    Lenovo Y500 | Core i7-3630M | 16GB RAM | 256GB mSATA SSD + 1TB HDD | 2x GeForce 650M GPU (SLI) | 15.6" 1920x1080 Display | Etymotic ER-4P Headphones | 5.95lbs

Overclocker

The R1 does have CPU bottleneck problems in BFBC2. I had good results increasing CPU clockspeed and task priority on my R1 for BC2. Here are some results before increasing priority and after.