Quantcast Fixing the M11x weak hinge creaking/cracking problem. Screen opened!

View Poll Results: M11x: Does your hinge make creaking/cracking sounds? Do you have a weak hinge that moves around?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • M11x R1: I do not have any of those problems.

29 18.59%
  • M11x R1: I have both problems, and my hinge broke at least once.

63 40.38%
  • M11x R2: I do not have any of those problems.

44 28.21%
  • M11x R2: I have both problems, and my hinge broke at least once

20 12.82%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    Notebook Ninja

Default Fixing the M11x weak hinge creaking/cracking problem. Screen opened!

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU STILL HAVE WARRANTY! ALWAYS CALL DELL!!!

update: The screw cap on both sides of the hinge bar(as can be seen from the 3rd and 4th picture) is on too tight. If you can loosen it a little, it will significantly prolong the hinge life and enforce less wear and tear to the hinge support on the display section.

Yep, that's right. After being fed up with replacing the screen over and OVER due to it being weak, I have had enough. After the Dell rep replaced my screen, I asked him if it was OK for me to keep the old monitor so that I could find the source of the problem. Although he initially disagreed, I plead and plead until he finally gave in and gave me the broken screen (I guess it's my lucky day!).

After opening the screen by force (since it was not bound by glue, it was a rather easy thing to do), I discovered a shocking revelation...it's almost the exact same problem found on the previous generation M15! Check out these photos:

Below is what a none broken screw support looks like:

Below is what a broken screw support looks like:

In short, the plastic that held the screws in place gave away and broke. If Dell only made the support a little more thicker, this wouldn't have been a problem at all.

All you have to do to fix the problem is to super glue the screws and the metal plate back on! To get a better idea of how to fix this issue, please watch this video on how this guy fixed his M15x hinge. YouTube - Alienware Area-51 M15X Case Cracking Repair
    Last edited by jonjonk; 27th July 2010 at 09:22 AM.

Master of Puppets

Default Re: Fixing the M11x weak hinge creaking/cracking problem. Screen opened!

+1

Great work!!

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Fixing the M11x weak hinge creaking/cracking problem. Screen opened!

Very nice work.

For shame, Dell. You didn't learn from the M15x?

Notebook Consultant

good find.

So..people must be willing to solder their screen on a 1K laptop?? haha...it's like i'm paying money to do my own labor.

By the way, even if you are new at soldering. shouldn't be difficult since you are not soldering a piece of wire onto a circuit board. Your soldering point is huge, so all you have to do is ...solder away

Notebook Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by looking4pftnb View Post
    good find.

So..people must be willing to solder their screen on a 1K laptop?? haha...it's like i'm paying money to do my own labor.

By the way, even if you are new at soldering. shouldn't be difficult since you are not soldering a piece of wire onto a circuit board. Your soldering point is huge, so all you have to do is ...solder away
    I know, it's ridiculous. I don't see how this problem happens mainly on the M11x. The new M15x and M17x all have the same hinge designs. I guess it's a screen weight vs hinge strength issue.

Notebook Virtuoso

Not saying you will, but just make sure you don't get charged for the part.

When parts exchange only gets issued, Dell makes invoice initially, then it gets credited back when the part is sent back.

I know this was not parts exchange since it was sent to a field tech contractors, but just make sure you don't get charged for it.
    M11x R2|i7 640UM|2GB Ram|Momentus XT 500GB HD|BT
    M18x R1(BLK)|i7 2960XM|4GB|500GB x 2 HD(RAID0)|6990 xFire | BT | Intel WIFI| Dell UltraSharp U2913WM |

Notebook Consultant

I think Dell should immediately hire you. Obama should give you a medal of honor. And Lindsay Lohan should kiss your feet.

Good work!

+1 rep

Notebook Consultant

Well I definitely don't have tools to solder or whatever, I thought that's what I paid Dell for...

Notebook Consultant

Apparently they want to share with you the cost of fixing the hinge :P//
    Last edited by looking4pftnb; 23rd July 2010 at 02:08 PM.

Notebook Consultant

Even if I dont have the hinge issue, nice contribution

EDIT (DD/MM/YY) 01/08/10: Now I got the "Keyboard touching the screen" issue and my hinge is craking...
    Last edited by Vallejo; 2nd August 2010 at 02:00 AM.
    Alienware M11x R1
    Cosmic Black w/Black Leather Protector Cover Skin - SU7300 (Overclocked to 1,73 Ghz) - 4gb RAM - OCZ 120 GB Vertex II - Bluetooth 2,1+ Module

Homemade m11x Cooler

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast