Quantcast Linux on the M11x - Page 4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Linux on the M11x

Finally got around to installing Arch last night. (Started on Gentoo, then decided I don't want to put that much time into it.) I haven't setup X yet, but I did get 2.6.34-rc3 on there. If you have both nouveu and the intel drivers enabled in the kernel and not as modules than it says it switches and doesn't give a kernel dump.. However, if I had nouveu as a module than it gave me a screen of errors and logged me off. If I had both installed as modules it would just get a black screen when it enabled them.

I'll be trying it with X tonight. I have a feeling it's not actually switching. After that I'll send Airlied an email about it.
    Asus U24E-XH71 | i7-2620M | 16GB Ram | 256GB Samsung 470 | Intel 6200 WiFi card | Arch Linux

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by soleblaze View Post
    Finally got around to installing Arch last night. (Started on Gentoo, then decided I don't want to put that much time into it.) I haven't setup X yet, but I did get 2.6.34-rc3 on there. If you have both nouveu and the intel drivers enabled in the kernel and not as modules than it says it switches and doesn't give a kernel dump.. However, if I had nouveu as a module than it gave me a screen of errors and logged me off. If I had both installed as modules it would just get a black screen when it enabled them.

I'll be trying it with X tonight. I have a feeling it's not actually switching. After that I'll send Airlied an email about it.
    good 2 hear from ya soleblaze! glad to hear u went with arch, as I love this distro! best of luck with everything, hope we can get some progress on the linux front! keep us posted

Notebook Consultant

Yeah, it's not switching properly. Also was able to get it to crash while both are built into the kernel. I've emailed Arlied my dmesg.
    Asus U24E-XH71 | i7-2620M | 16GB Ram | 256GB Samsung 470 | Intel 6200 WiFi card | Arch Linux

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by soleblaze View Post
    Yeah, it's not switching properly. Also was able to get it to crash while both are built into the kernel. I've emailed Arlied my dmesg.
    good, good (EDIT: well, good that u contacted the man, not good its not switching properly!) I found this page = linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com ... at the top of the page, the following is posted ::
    Testers needed:
    If you have a Linux switchable graphics laptop and a bit of time for testing, please have a look at this Howto:
    asusm51ta-with-linux.blogspot.com
    Then subscribe to hybrid graphics linux and report back on your testing via the mailing list:
    launchpad.net/~hybrid-graphics-linux
    Meanwhile, we are still gathering technical information to improve Linux support for hybrid graphics systems. If you have a switchable graphics laptop, please submit your laptop's DSDT.dsl information as an attachment to this bug report:
    bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/312756
    To compile your DSDT information, install if you haven't already the acpidump and iasl tools:
    sudo apt-get install acpidump iasl
    or
    sudo yum install pmtools iasl
    Then run the following commands:
    sudo acpidump > acpidump.txt sudo acpixtract acpidump.txt iasl -d DSDT.dat ls -l DSDT.dsl
    This will create a DSDT.dsl file that you can attach to the bug report. Finally, for posting the information in the bug report, you can check the laptop and graphics card model identifiers with these commands:
    sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name sudo dmidecode -s system-version lspci -vnnn | perl -lne 'print if /^\d+\:.+(\[\S+\:\S+\])/' | grep VGA
    This information will allow the full development of hybrid graphics features for Linux. Thanks for your help!
    so I did just that = subscribed to the hybrid graphics linux mailing list, and submitted my m11x's DSDT.dsl information as a bug report @ bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/312756

then @ this site = launchpad.net/~hybrid-graphics-linux I saw the request go out for ::
    ACTIONS:
    We are looking for students with basic Linux kernel/graphics notions interested in applying for the X.org Open Source PRIME multi-gpu support Google Summer of Code 2010:
    wiki.x.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas
    We are looking for Linux users with Nvidia Optimus-enabled laptops willing to provide debugging information for Open Source PRIME multi-gpu support features being worked on. Please join the team by clicking on "Join" on the right, fill in this doodle:
    www.doodle.com/63fyczzrxqaquhqx
    and send an email to the mailing list specifying your laptop model with these commands:
    sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name
    sudo dmidecode -s system-version
    lspci -vnnn | perl -lne 'print if /^\d+\:.+(\[\S+\:\S+\])/' | grep VGA
    soo I joined that team as well, and filled out the "doodle", then sent the hybrid-graphics-linux launchpad.net's mailing list my bug report(s)... hoping by sharing this info, it will get others to lend their support too PRIME may or may not benefit m11x directly, but still by sharing multi-gpu info, maybe this could contribute to getting the multi-gpu switching capability in xorg?!

for now, I've been working on implementing a script on my archlinux install to allow me to have BOTH nvidia + intel drivers living together happily ala' this guys setup, but decidedly more arch-style like our french brethren

the american arch forums have some good suggestions too (script-wise)::
    bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=78565
    bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=92530

keep us all posted
    btw, I cant get the one realtek driver u linked to work with 2.6.33 arch, gotta try and locate a possibly newer driver, or tweak with the current? lemme know what u do with that please
    Last edited by fnord0; 17th April 2010 at 04:32 AM.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by fnord0 View Post
    btw, I cant get the one realtek driver u linked to work with 2.6.33 arch, gotta try and locate a possibly newer driver, or tweak with the current? lemme know what u do with that please
    haha, I was about to ask you if you've gotten audio working. There's one in AUR, but it fails on a gameport section. Not sure if the alsa drivers on the alsa website work for this card..I'll take a look at that and see if the ones in 2.6.34-rc3 work. (Not currently running that since the broadcom sta won't compile on it)

Thanks for sending out those bug reports. Probably the proper way to do it ;D I'll have to subscribe to those mailing lists.

EDIT:

Looks like sound works in 2.6.34. I'm still trying to get alsa-driver 1.0.22.1 to compile with 2.6.33.
    Last edited by soleblaze; 16th April 2010 at 12:21 AM.

Notebook Consultant

Ok, the alsa driver snapshot works.

Download the latest snapshot from: http://www.alsa-project.org/snapshot/

tarjxvf it then cd to the directory. run:

./configure --with-cards=hda-intel
    make
    make install

and reboot. I also ran alsaconf (I have alsa-utils installed) but I don't think that's neccessary.

Notebook Consultant

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODE1OQ Looks like alsa 1.0.23 was just released. Should be able to install this instead of the snapshot. (Although I'd be surprised if much is different if you installed the snapshot last night. I'm not going to bother to upgrade right now)

Notebook Guru

good call soleblaze... I just went ahead and manually re-built all the alsa-* packages that were upgraded to 1.0.23, and specifically built the alsa-driver-1.0.23 as u suggested, and the audio is working in 2.6.33!

figured I'd post my version of the detectgpu script I decided to go with on the latest arch x86_64, I will probably use this setup until we get vga_switcheroo working for the m11x ::
    Code:
    /etc/rc.d/detectgpu

#!/bin/bash
    VIDEO=`/usr/sbin/lspci|grep -c Intel`
    if [ "$VIDEO" == 16 ]; then
       echo NVidia GPU detected
       ln -sf /etc/X11/xorg.nvidia.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf
       OPENGL_DEJA_INSTALL=`pacman -Q libgl 2>/dev/null|grep -c libgl`
       if [ "$OPENGL_DEJA_INSTALL" == 1 ]; then
       echo Switching OpenGL implementation to nvidia-utils
       pacman -Rd libgl 2>/dev/null
       pacman -Rd lib32-libgl 2>/dev/null
       echo y|pacman -S nvidia-utils 2>/dev/null
       echo y|pacman -S lib32-nvidia-utils 2>/dev/null
       fi
    else
    echo Intel GPU detected
    ln -sf /etc/X11/xorg.intel.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    OPENGL=`pacman -Q libgl 2>/dev/null|grep -c libgl`
    if [  $OPENGL != 1 ]; then
       pacman -Rd nvidia-utils 2>/dev/null
       pacman -Rd lib32-nvidia-utils 2>/dev/null
       echo y|pacman -S libgl 2>/dev/null
       echo y|pacman -S lib32-libgl 2>/dev/null
    fi
    fi
    just make that script /etc/rc.d/detectgpu executable
    Code:
    chmod +x /etc/rc.d/detectgpu
    and lastly, update /etc/rc.conf, and add the following to your DAEMONS=() section
    Code:
    @detectgpu
    using this script, whenever you boot linux with discrete or switchable selected in BIOS, arch will already have the proper libgl files ready for xorg. I can live with it for now, and hope other arch linux users may find this helpful too =)

PS: if u use this script, u should have 2 xorg.conf files in /etc/X11 - 1 named xorg.nvidia.conf and the other named xorg.intel.conf with the correct config for each. the detectgpu
    script will automatically create a symlink for /etc/X11/xorg.conf => to point to the proper xorg.XXXXX.conf file, depending on which card is active at boot time.
    Last edited by fnord0; 19th April 2010 at 01:34 AM.

Notebook Guru

just small update, I went ahead and created an Alienware M11x wiki page over at the archwiki - anyone should feel free to contribute.

BTW, this is the 1st Alienware laptop listed there - congrats! =)

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by fnord0 View Post
    just small update, I went ahead and created an Alienware M11x wiki page over at the archwiki - anyone should feel free to contribute.

BTW, this is the 1st Alienware laptop listed there - congrats! =)
    Nifty, good idea. Also thanks for posting the script. I'm running with it set on discrete right now, since I wasn't able to change the brightness while on intel. The most it says I can get is about 4 and a half hours, but I haven't timed it to see how much battery life I actually get.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast