Quantcast Acer 5022: Is it possible to adjust fan speed manually?

Closed Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Acer 5022: Is it possible to adjust fan speed manually?

    I've searched high and low and haven't been able to answer my own question. Doing a search in this forum only brings up threads regarding users wanting to keep their notebook fans quiet and/or off but I want the exact opposite to happen.

    Is there a way I can manually adjust my notebook's fan so it always stays on, at it's maximum speed? I've noticed that, while playing any game, the processor throttles and slows down which is when the fan kicks in, spins up to it's maximum speed which, in turn, cools down the processor and allows it to perform at it's original speed again. The fan then spins down and lets the processor heat up. Rinse and repeat.

    It would be more appropriate if I could find a way to force the processor's fan to always work at this speed so my CPU wouldn't throttle in the first place.

    I've tried a couple of fan monitoring utilities (SpeedFan, I8KFanGUI, Notebook Hardware Control) but none of them support my notebook correctly.

    Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Acer 5022: Is it possible to adjust fan speed manually?

    Quote Originally Posted by Davo`
    It would be more appropriate if I could find a way to force the processor's fan to always work at this speed so my CPU wouldn't throttle in the first place.

    I've tried a couple of fan monitoring utilities (SpeedFan, I8KFanGUI, Notebook Hardware Control) but none of them support my notebook correctly.

    Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks.
    on my acer travelmate 4062 there is an option in acer emanager/esettings to enable the fan to be always switched on.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Acer 5022: Is it possible to adjust fan speed manually?

    After a lot of searching and questions, apparently it's not even possible to manually adjust my processor's fan. I just assumed it was possible. I decided to give the "undervolting" instead a go and my results have been nothing short of impressive.

    I shaved off a huge 15 degrees C when using "Maximum Performance" in RMClock. From 1.450v > 1.050v. I've done the save with "Power Saving" too but didn't bother checking the temperature difference as it was cool enough. From 1.000v > 0.850v.

    No more throtting now.

  4. #4
    Notebook Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Acer 5022: Is it possible to adjust fan speed manually?

    Quote Originally Posted by Davo`
    After a lot of searching and questions, apparently it's not even possible to manually adjust my processor's fan. I just assumed it was possible. I decided to give the "undervolting" instead a go and my results have been nothing short of impressive.

    I shaved off a huge 15 degrees C when using "Maximum Performance" in RMClock. From 1.450v > 1.050v. I've done the save with "Power Saving" too but didn't bother checking the temperature difference as it was cool enough. From 1.000v > 0.850v.

    No more throtting now.
    Hey Davo, you have got me interested in undervolting now, the overall heat of my laptop when just surfing / not doing much is hot, and a cooler system would be good. Where did you find your info?

    Cheers

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Acer 5022: Is it possible to adjust fan speed manually?

    I followed this guide but I've also got one of these running at all times.

    Both should help your laptop.

  6. #6
    Notebook Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Acer 5022: Is it possible to adjust fan speed manually?

    Quote Originally Posted by davo
    I followed this guide but I've also got one of these running at all times.

    Both should help your laptop.
    Cheers for the reply, I have laptop cooler, lapcool3. Thanks for the guide, I tried this yesterday, and it seems that my cpu "mobile sempron, 3000" is locked at a lowest voltage of 1.075 :/

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1