Quantcast Acer Ethos AS8951G/AS5951G Owners Lounge - Page 48

+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
    Notebook Geek

Default Re: Acer Ethos AS8951G/AS5951G Owners Lounge

8951G LCD Color Calibration in Windows 7

Just wondering if anyone preformed a calibration. Below are the factory settings.

Current Nvidia GT 555M settings:
    Brightness @ +50%, Contrast @ +50%, Hue @ +179, Saturation @ +50%
    Gamma: Red, Green, Blue are all @ +1.00
    Dynamic range: Full (0-255)

Current Intel HD 3000 settings:
    Brightness = 0
    Contrast = 50
    Gamma = 1.0
    Hue = 0
    Saturation = 0

Attached is my ICC profile I did a while back with my X-Rite i1. Just unzip then find the icc file and put it into Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color and you should be able to select it from your display color profiles. Keep in mind that not all monitors are equal and although from the same manufacturer, our monitors may display colors differently. Obviously, the best way to calibrate your monitor is by purchasing a hardware solution like the X-Rite or Spyder products.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyCruz View Post
    8951G LCD Color Calibration in Windows 7

Just wondering if anyone preformed a calibration. Below are the factory settings.

Current Nvidia GT 555M settings:
    Brightness @ +50%, Contrast @ +50%, Hue @ +179, Saturation @ +50%
    Gamma: Red, Green, Blue are all @ +1.00
    Dynamic range: Full (0-255)

Brightness = 0
    Contrast = 50
    Gamma = 1.0
    Hue = 0
    Saturation = 0
    Attached Files Attached Files

Notebook Geek

@ cnorton

I moved the icc file into the color folder, but Intel’s control panel has no select/import option.
    Opened Windows 7 calibrate display color tool & Intel control panel. Made the following
    minor changes & saved in Intel CP. Just curious as to what settings that file had compared to the ones below.

Brightness = 0 New = -14
    Contrast = 50 New = 48
    Gamma = 1.0 No Change
    Hue = 0 No Change
    Saturation = 0 No Change

You don't need to export anything. Just copy the ICC file to the specified location. In the "advanced" tab on your display options, you should then be able to select the profile and set it.

The ICC profile defines the color space and is used prodominately so your display device matches your output device (ie your printer outputs the exact colors your monitors dispays). I did not mess with brightness, contrast or gamma and the profiles should calibrate hue and saturation.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyCruz View Post
    @ cnorton

I moved the icc file into the color folder, but Intelís control panel has no select/import option.
    Opened Windows 7 calibrate display color tool & Intel control panel. Made the following
    minor changes & saved in Intel CP. Just curious as to what settings that file had compared to the ones below.

Brightness = 0 New = -14
    Contrast = 50 New = 48
    Gamma = 1.0 No Change
    Hue = 0 No Change
    Saturation = 0 No Change

HDMI YCbCr444 Colour Space

I have my new AS5951G connected to an external monitor via HDMI, and I'm noticing it looks pretty washed out. Does the GT555M/optimus support setting the the colour space to YCbCr444 for the HDMI output? I don't see the option in the Nvidia control panel. Has anybody else looked into this?

On as side note, one of the first things that happened when I opened it up is the pre-installed acer auto-update wanted to update the bios. I of course just clicked ok... and bricked it. A big thanks to you all in this forum for having the info up to bail me out of that mess (flash bios via usb with fn+esc boot). Those turkeys at Acer really need to fix that. So not cool!

Notebook Geek

@cnorton

Did the ICC file configuration thru windows color management CP OK. Interesting.
    If I’m correct, there are better shades of red, green, blue, grey & white.
    Also found an LCD target/pattern tester that can be used offline with IE.
    LCD monitor test images.
    This has more tests than WIN 7 cal display & can run online as needed.
    Last edited by EasyCruz; 11th February 2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Fix typo

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Unicycle View Post
    HDMI YCbCr444 Colour Space

I have my new AS5951G connected to an external monitor via HDMI, and I'm noticing it looks pretty washed out. Does the GT555M/optimus support setting the the colour space to YCbCr444 for the HDMI output? I don't see the option in the Nvidia control panel. Has anybody else looked into this?

On as side note, one of the first things that happened when I opened it up is the pre-installed acer auto-update wanted to update the bios. I of course just clicked ok... and bricked it. A big thanks to you all in this forum for having the info up to bail me out of that mess (flash bios via usb with fn+esc boot). Those turkeys at Acer really need to fix that. So not cool!
    u don't have video from nvidia on tv . that is intel HD 3000...
    Acer Aspire V7 | 15,4'' Full-HD | i7 4500U | 12GB RAM | GT 750M | mSATA Plextor M5M 2X256GB SSD |

Just got my 8951g last week in Sydney and pretty impressed, 2 x 750 gb HD, 8 gb ram, Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 WiFI adapter for just over 1500 AUD$. Only downside I have seen so far is the bootup which does take some time about to drop a SSD and another 8gb ram so should get the speed up. The thread regarding the I7-2860QM swap is very interesting, that should mean you should be able to get 32GB ram in Yes/No?

Regards,

Update on the problem I'm having: As far as I can tell the monitor I have connected via HDMI is being detected as a television. Apparently this is a common issue, but from what little info I can find about this it seems one of the determining factor as to whether it's detected by the graphics card(s)/drivers as a television or a monitor is the presence of audio support on the device. I was able to build a custom monitor driver with the audio support info stripped from the EDID, and that has the desktop looking fine now. However some full screen programs (games) still load up thinking it's a television. This means crushed black levels (16-255) and some even running interlaced! Also, even the desktop occasionally reverts to a compressed colour space.

I contacted Acer support and they just told me to send the laptop back for them to investigate, which I am reluctant to do if it doesn't look like that will do anything to solve the problem.

Has anybody out there run into this problem?

Notebook Geek

8951G HDMI Dual Monitor Test

I’m on battery backup with the Acer in a bright sunny room. Dual monitor
    screen operability will be tested via HDMI using a legacy Sony plasma 720p display.
    (Sony is set to AV PRO)

This Sony is connected RGB component to HD Fury converter to HDMI to 8951G.
    Pulled up Win 7 display “change display settings” 1st. Powered off Sony, connected,
    then powered on Sony. I was expecting issues, but there it was. The LCD and plasma
    screens showing display settings.

Made 1 change for resolution, dropped to1280x720 . This was recommended by
    a popup (Slick). Refresh rate auto selects @ 59Hz.
    Checked Nvidia GT 555M Physx panel which sees the HD Fury connection OK.
    Checked Intel HD 3000 control panel and it sees the same OK.

After running video content, no other settings were touched, no color, no driver installs, nothing.
    Did some HDMI disconnect/connects, and the Acer auto reverted back to 1080p
    @60Hz then back to 720p @59Hz. Great.

Which display wins? The Sony plasma 720p. The Acer 8951G wins for functionality.
    Last edited by EasyCruz; 19th February 2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Fix Typo