Quantcast Acer MXM BIOS Mods and discussion (was: x920G vs. 9600M GT) - Page 12

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 126 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Acer MXM BIOS Mods and discussion (was: x920G vs. 9600M GT)

Notebook Deity

Default re: Acer MXM BIOS Mods and discussion (was: x920G vs. 9600M GT)

I've uploaded a new CRISDISK.IMG again: request download ticket | ifile.it

Hopefully this one will work.
    Also, if you install a non-picky MXM card (one that works in a 5520G, like a 8600M GT), it will probably be able to display the recovery progress on screen (thanks to VGABIOS.EXE).

Notebook Enthusiast

OMG I'M SHOCKED!!! I broken my 5920G with CRISIS Disks!!
    I started the CRISIS recovery and after 15 minutes it don't rebooted itself I disconnected the AC cable...boom! Now it won't power up anymore! help meeee!!

I'm really shocked!! What can I do now?

Notebook Deity

Try re-doing the crisis procedure with the disk that did work.

Also, by any chance, aren't you trying to boot with a 9600M GT after flashing an unmodded BIOS via crisis disk? That obviously won't work.

Notebook Enthusiast

The problem is that the computer won't power up anymore! If I press the power button it doesn't turn on!
    At least before it was broken the HDD and the fan turned on! Now the computer won't turn on either!

Notebook Consultant

@ NetRolller 3D
    I don't know what the new crisis disc image is for because it has a VGA bios in it aswell. Presumably just remove that VBIOS to make just an SBIOS flash. I'm ordering a floppy drive today though.

@ iJo09,
    Tragic news. Is your AC adapter OK. Does if make the blue line by the power switch light up. If you check the output of the adaptor and it's 19V I'm worried for us both. (Use a voltmeter and touch one probe to the outer part of your laptop charger DC jack plug. Use a piece of wire bare at both ends and put one end inside the laptop charger DC pin. Put the the second probe across the other end of the wire.)

There is a process to try if you laptop charger is ok. Unplug the power + battery, and hold the power button in for a minute. That will discharge anything in the starter circuit that is preventing a start. Failing that technique, I don't know what to suggest.

Which recovery did you use; was it your floppy drive and WinCris version that has worked before? Or various other versions of Crisis Discs from the internet, or NetRollers image. (You said you would try NetRoller's.)
    Last edited by u6b36ef; 3rd June 2011 at 08:02 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Yeah I was going to try NetRoller's image but first I wanted to try to flash the Old modded BIOS with my CRISIS disk.
    BTW the laptop charger and the battery Are OK
    So now my lappy is dead and I think the solution is to buy a new BIOS chip on eBay pre-programmed with v1.3813 BIOS and desolder/resolder the chip on Motherboard...

Notebook Consultant

*You recovered twice before using the normal floppy recovery didn't you?

I am considering I might have to buy a BIOS chip. It looks one small chip though, and thus real scared of the soldering part, (even though I'm fully IEEE accredited/eligable.)

REF YOUR PREVIOUS SYMPTOMS: System not recognising graphic card temp - isn't temperature measured by the drivers. Fan not spinning is probably related to the temp not measured. Fan probably only responding to CPU needs. Google the BSOD code you get. (Allways respond to an error message with an internet search.)

I'll repeat this following info if you missed it.
    "There is a process to try if you laptop charger is ok. Unplug the power + battery, and hold the laptop power button in for a minute. That will discharge anything in the starter circuit that is preventing a start."

However the problem seems more deepseated with your laptop.

I'm really puzzled as to why the 1st modded SBIOS failed for you. I had it going happy with a 9600M GT, and 9500M GS, and niether worked before. Another user had it going and had a 9600M GS and a Quadro which before would not run.

It's a bad day. I'm going to press BUY IT NOW for a floppy any minute now, and keep my fingers crossed.

EDIT: There is this.
    http://support.acer-euro.com/documen...bootblock.html
    You will have to google for the proceedure. I read you will need a voltmeter to find out which pins are which on the BIOS chip. (I think this might need power.)
    Last edited by u6b36ef; 9th June 2011 at 10:54 PM. Reason: MISREAD mxm2.1 STRUCTURE AS slic2.1

Notebook Enthusiast

A quick post to say I have just bought a new BIOS chip on eBay!
    It comes from Netherlands... Fingers crossed!

Notebook Deity

iJo09: Please check if the following makes your 5920G power on:
    1. Remove battery and AC adapter.
    2. Press and hold the Power button for 30 seconds, then release it.
    3. Plug in your USB floppy drive, and insert a working crisis disk.
    4. Press and hold Fn+Esc.
    5. Plug in the AC adapter.
    6. Still holding Fn+Esc, press and hold the power button for 2 seconds.
    7. Release Fn+Esc.

(Note: This is essentially the Aspire 5720G recovery procedure, but with a Phoenix crisis floppy in place of InsydeH2O's recovery CD.)

EDIT: Did you simply replace the stock BIOS image on your crisis disk with mine? Bad idea; apparently you must re-generate the entire crisis disk to change the image. (The order in which the files are written to the disk matters a lot.)

@u6b36ef: The VGABIOS.EXE file I added to my last crisis image is a program that attempts to execute the MXM card's VGA BIOS, to enable visual feedback about the recovery procedure. It is not itself a VGA BIOS.
    However, it does not supply an MXM structure for the card (at least not until I mod it to do so ), so you need a card that boots in the 5520G or another machine without an MXM structure.

Notebook Consultant

I don't know how I can use info for a 5520. I have the 5920(?).
    Like I said I put the 8600M GT back in first thing after the flash that caused failure.
    There's no point me trying to flash if the image you have made has a 5520 bios.wph. The VGABIOS.EXE sounds good.

I tried all day again to make a USB flash. I made it an A drive, dos-bootable, and created my own recovery image by initaiting the recovery file writing in DOS.
    -Crisdisc on it's own methods, it did everything, said it made the bootable proceedure, then returned a disc read error.
    -(CRISISDISC in Windows still refused on grounds of no A drive, from the usual shortcut exe.)
    I concluded the problem was the USB drive only appeared as an A drive in the laptop it was made into an A drive on. Basically I put it in another machine and it appeared as removable f drive.

I've given up and ordered a floppy drive and disc from eBay.

I'm inclined to agree that iJo09's got a hardware glitch. I've not read of BIOS stunting power. As far as i know pressing the power button fires up the BIOS to check all hardware is present and working. Then it loads the operating system.
    Last edited by u6b36ef; 1st June 2011 at 07:41 PM.