Quantcast Acer MXM BIOS Mods and discussion (was: x920G vs. 9600M GT) - Page 10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 131 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Acer MXM BIOS Mods and discussion (was: x920G vs. 9600M GT)

Notebook Deity

Default re: Acer MXM BIOS Mods and discussion (was: x920G vs. 9600M GT)

Also, make sure that you have "Advanced=1" in Phlash.ini. Otherwise, it will automatically use the original BIOS.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by .NetRolller 3D View Post
    Also, make sure that you have "Advanced=1" in Phlash.ini. Otherwise, it will automatically use the original BIOS.
    @ .NetRolller 3D
    Surely make sure the 'Back up BIOS and flash BIOS with New Settings', is checked, is easier. (Mookill that's nearer at the top of the BIOS flash window.)
    Thanks for mentioning it. I'd not looked inside the advanced tab before; I barely noticed it.

Anyway this is the 9600M GT's original VBIOS, (with that disappearing/ appearing 'n' character, in the third line.)
    G96 M Original Card Copy.bin

Did you notice the added message from two posts ago, for you.
    EDIT: @ .NetRolller 3D, additional info;------- the 9600M GT ran in all four performance modes in the 8920, etc....

Anyway the 9600 is back in the 5920 now. I can test the TechPowerUp VBIOS version, and your new SBIOS.
    Did you read the link Triturbo last added. That describes how an Asus user got round the problem. You only need read the 'Part 5' section; the rest is mainly hardware mods. There is also a warning about card versions which the author thinks are OK to try with. I'm not suggesting this modification as an option, I just wondered if you saw it, and had any thoughts
    Last edited by u6b36ef; 29th May 2011 at 03:49 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi everyone!
    I have a question
    If I flash this modded BIOS in my 5920G with a new ATi HD4670 MXM 2.1 (not 9600M GT) will my computer work anyway?
    I want only update the MXM Structure to v2.1 because the card I have is MXM 2.1 (as reported on the sticker of the card)
    Also, I have problems with the fan since I have installed the new "monster"
    I think this BIOS will fix this problem and others...
    I have attached my HD4670 VBIOS so if anyone want to verify that the BIOS will not give me a black screen due to incorrect MXM interrupt or for other things

Anyway, very good thread! Congratulations
    Attached Files Attached Files

Notebook Consultant

"Warning":
    I have flashed the new V2 SBIOS version to the 5920. The laptop will now not start, and there is power. Maybe the flash went wrong though it did complete, but now I have to do a CRISIS flash.

The first version of the modded SBIOS was OK.
    Last edited by u6b36ef; 28th September 2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Had written VBIOS instead of SBIOS. (Duh.)

Notebook Deity

Thanks!
    5920G BIOS on the main page reverted to previous version.

@u6b36ef: Can you check if the BIOS completely broke your system, or just 9600M GT support?

Notebook Consultant

It's the whole laptop. I have the 8600M GT in to be sure.

I have no floppy drive, and never did a 'crisis flash' before. Trying to find a UBS or DVD recovery. There are reports on internet it works.

I'm hoping the BIOS is recoverable because I am reading things like in many cases it is not. I.E. your laptop board is finished. (I think this is going to be a long night.)
    Last edited by u6b36ef; 9th June 2011 at 10:51 PM.

Notebook Deity

Here are a few resources, that may help you:
    WinCris (the Windows crisis disk creator utility) can be found @ crisdisk.rar.
    Run WinCris.exe in "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" compatibility mode on Windows 7.
    Use my first (working) MXM-fixed BIOS, or the original Acer BIOS, renamed to BIOS.WPH.
    Use a sufficiently small USB drive (<1GB, preferably).

If all else fails; you can get a replacement BIOS chip on eBay, pre-programmed with v1.3813 unmodified. (Soldering iron not included.) The BIOS chip is located on the motherboard as seen on this picture: http://members.home.nl/mr-lee/Aspire%205920G.jpg.

EDIT: Pulled all other new BIOSes too (except for the 5720G one, which I personally tested), until further notice. The ones linked in the first post shall be safe to use.
    (For the adventurous, the new versions are still available in the iFile.it folder linked in the first post. Consider them beta quality for now.)
    Last edited by .NetRolller 3D; 29th May 2011 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Reverted all BIOSes to earlier, working versions.

Notebook Consultant

I think I saw this, and doesn't it only work in Win 7. However I am using Vista. I have Wincris, from about a week ago. I found stuff while I was first considering doing the flash.
    I have a 256mb and a 64mb flash drive to play with. I have the HP app tp make USB drive bootable too, if needed. Stuck at this point for now.
    This might work, Phoenix Bios Crisis Recovery NO FLOPPY(YES) but the link Darth nVader points to is inactive and says contact Notebookreview admin.
    Last edited by u6b36ef; 7th June 2011 at 12:02 AM.

Notebook Deity

The link I posted is actually the file missing from the "no floppies" topic (v1.0.0.4).

No need for the HP tool, Wincris will already make the USB drive bootable.

Notebook Consultant

I think the link for "crisdisc.rar" you posted is the one you need Win 7 (XP mode) for. I read that 1.0.0.4 needs it on another internet page. However, the author of the "no floppies" page doesn't mention needing Win 7.
    I have tried it though, and it reports there is no removable media attached to the computer.
    Wincris in general reports that there is no floppy drive available. I have tried that many times, and days ago.
    I tried lots of others that say they work with usb. This was one.
    in case you kill your phoenix bios: bios recovery methods

I think today I'll have to buy an external floppy. I'm giving up in the next few minutes to make sure I get to a shop. I hope they have an external floppy drive and a disc in stock. Otherwise eBay. I'd rather buy a new drive from a reputable high street, because I had some bad luck with eBay recently.
    Last edited by u6b36ef; 30th May 2011 at 12:12 PM.