Quantcast 3820TG Owner's Lounge - Part Two - Page 7

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 341 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 3820TG Owner's Lounge - Part Two

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: 3820TG Owner's Lounge - Part Two

Although buying a cooling pad with two fans helped a bit with my overheating problem, I'm seriously considering re-pasting the CPU and GPU. The link to a guide in the first post of the thread seems to be broken. Does anyone have another link?

I've repasted desktop CPU's, but never a laptop, so I need some encouragement that it can be safely done.
    Last edited by StrAC; 15th March 2011 at 05:41 PM.

Notebook Consultant

I tried a Cooler Master Notepal X-Lite and it has only one big fan and is pretty quiet. The air flow is against the laptop. The size is perfect for the 3820TG and its inclination is perfect to use backlit keyboard in the dark.

StrAC, if you follow the Service Manual to disassemble you can repaste with no problems.
    myLaptop = AS3820TG( i5-480m, HD6550m, 8GB Corsair, SSD 256GB, backlit KB);

Wait and Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by StrAC View Post
    Although buying a cooling pad with two fans helped a bit with my overheating problem, I'm seriously considering re-pasting the CPU and GPU. The link to a guide in the first post of the thread seems to be broken. Does anyone have another link?

I've repasted desktop CPU's, but never a laptop, so I need some encouragement that it can be safely done.
    The last time I did mine, I completed the whole process in about 45 minutes. The hardest part is getting a nice even, thin film on the heat sinks. If you are careful and take your time, it is a fairly easy task. I'm still reading through the thread but I know there is another link in there. I'll post it when I come to it. The process is fairly simple. First, take all the screws out of the bottom (get 2 small cups for the screws). Open the bottom access door. Take out the Wifi Card, the ram and the hard drive. Unfasten the antennae leads. Turn the unit over. Take the keyboard out (see Hendrickson's backlit KB thread for instructions on that) and remove the connecting ribbon. Next, remove the screws from the keyboard base and separate the halves of the notebook case. Disconnect the speaker plugs, microphone plug, power and trackpad ribbons, fan plugs, etc. Remove the ribbon connecting the USB board on the left to the motherboard. If you want to put a bluetooth module in, lift the USB board up and out. Then, peel back the black plastic adhesive cover on top of the fan assembly and remove the black and white antennae leads (black on the left, white on the right). Take the white lead out of the clips running along the front of the notebook. At this point you can lift the mainboard out and turn it over. You will see the screws that hold the heat sinks onto the CPU and GPU. Remove the CPU first. Clean the surfaces with alcohol, tint the surfaces a bit with the paste and then put a small bead on the heat sink and spread it thinly. Put the assemblies back together and start the same process in reverse. When you put the mother board back in place be sure that you don't pinch the fan plugs or you will have to undo a lot of your work to free them when it is time to reconnect the fans.

Oh ... be sure to disconnect any power and take the bettery out while you're working on the electronics. Also wear static protection.

Bronsky

@Raulilha - Acer has put the manual on-line right? If so, would you post the link so I can put it on the first page.
    Last edited by Bronsky; 16th March 2011 at 12:05 PM.
    Lenovo Thinkpad X301 | Asus VivoTab Note 8 | Nokia 928
    Second-Hand Thinkpad X301 Owners: http://forum.notebookreview.com/leno...-s-thread.html

Hi,

This is my first post in here. Nice to meet you guys.
    I hesitate about my first laptop.
    These are my choices:

1. ASUS U31JG-RX134V i5-480M (2.67GHz) GT 415M
    2. ACER TimelineX 3830TG-2414G64n i5-2410M (2.3GHz) GT 540M
    3. ACER TimelineX 3820TG-484G64n i5-480M (2.67GHz) HD6550

Option 1: GPU is weak but its battery is long.
    Option 2: New,it has sandy bridge. But single fan is enough to make a cold system ?
    Option 3: GPU is so strong but I am worried about the heat in laptop.

Which laptop do I should choose now? Plz give me some advices.
    Thanks.

Notebook Guru

Default Re: Acer Aspire 3820T/3820TG/3820TZ/3820TGZ Fan control and other tweaks

Quote Originally Posted by prikolchik View Post
    NOTE on fan speed:
    The formula for calculating the actual fan speed in RPM is not yet known. I did find fan speed formulas for other Acer laptops (examined DSDT tables). There are no FAN tables or methods in 3820 DSDT, so we will have to figure out the fan speed formula ourselves. The formulas I found were:
    1) ((~VAL) & 0xFF) * 10. OR in other words: ( NOT(VAL) AND 0xFF) * 10
    2) 0x78000 / VAL
    3) 1350000 / 8 / VAL
    4) 1350000 / 4 / VAL

Where VAL is the fan speed value from [0x94],[0x95],[0x97],[0x98].
    Hmmm. Last two looks very familiar. AFAIR they works with 16bit VAL. 8 and 4 - are FAN divisor values. For desktop MB controller chips they could be changed by application to get more precise values of Fan speed for low speed fans.

To ensure I'll check controllers' datasheets and my application sources and will return with more info later today.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Acer Aspire 3820T/3820TG/3820TZ/3820TGZ Fan control and other tweaks

Quote Originally Posted by _InKr_ View Post
    Hmmm. Last two looks very familiar. AFAIR they works with 16bit VAL. 8 and 4 - are FAN divisor values. For desktop MB controller chips they could be changed by application to get more precise values of Fan speed for low speed fans.

To ensure I'll check controllers' datasheets and my application sources and will return with more info later today.
    pls, can we start a new thread only for EC values Temp Fanspeed RW everything.

because this is a really fast growing thread and the important info are going lost in the 1000 pages
    3820TG i5@3.2Ghz 4GB HyperX 1333CL7@1200CL6 ATI HD5650@700/900
    Windows7 On Samsung SSD PM830 256Gig

3820tray --- 3820TG ATI vBios MOD --- 1810t TME MOD --- Acc Sensor Mod

Notebook Guru

inteks
    Agree. Feel free to create one and give us a link .

Notebook Evangelist

inteks
    @prikolchik
    i see you are updating your post
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer...ml#post7256607

could you copy it as a startpost to a new thread pls
    ----------------------
    i like to keep it simple...

-below a userdefined temp it switch the fan off.
    -above it switch to "auto"

GPU fan is (@ the moment) not possible because i cant read the GPU temp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails keepcpufanoff.PNG  
    3820TG i5@3.2Ghz 4GB HyperX 1333CL7@1200CL6 ATI HD5650@700/900
    Windows7 On Samsung SSD PM830 256Gig

3820tray --- 3820TG ATI vBios MOD --- 1810t TME MOD --- Acc Sensor Mod

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by PeterDLai
    Now that I think about it, it also lets you install the latest Intel drivers. Considering that installing the latest discrete drivers while in Discrete BIOS mode actually upgrades the driver to the latest in Switchable mode as well, would this BIOS mod do the same for the integrated drivers? Would installing the latest Intel drivers in integrated-only mode update the Intel drivers in Switchable mode also?
    Just to update this thought from part 1 of this thread, I just tried to do the above and installing the latest Intel driver in IGD mode ended up breaking the switchable graphics functionality, so I guess the only option still is using HP ENVY 14's integrated driver if you want a more updated Intel graphics driver while retaining switchable graphics functionality.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by inteks View Post
    pls, can we start a new thread only for EC values Temp Fanspeed RW everything.

because this is a really fast growing thread and the important info are going lost in the 1000 pages
    inteks
    Quote Originally Posted by inteks View Post
    @prikolchik
    i see you are updating your post
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer...ml#post7256607

could you copy it as a startpost to a new thread pls
    I had the exact same idea yesterday. Done. Acer Aspire TimelineX 3820TG mods/tweaks ONLY!
    Asus UX32VD-DH71: i7-3517U 1.9GHz / 10GB DDR3 / 320GB HDD / Nvidia GT 620M 1G / 13.3 IPS FHD / Ubuntu 12.10
    Acer Aspire 3820TG-3022: i5-520M 2.4GHz / 8GB DDR3 / OCZ Vertex 3 120Gb SSD / ATI 5470 512MB / 13.3 WXGA / Ubuntu 10.10
    Windows tax refund. Get $65 for Windows! Linux. Wins.
    If you have a question to ask me, please PM! I do NOT check threads.

Page 7 of 341 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast