Quantcast Acer TimelineX 3830/4830/5830 T/G - Page 116

+ Reply to Thread
Page 116 of 458 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126166216 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 4571
    Wait and Hope.

Default Re: Acer TimelineX 3830/4830/5830 T/G

Quote Originally Posted by ahlkid1213 View Post
    Just found the AS3830TG pop up on Frys website

FRYS.com|ACER

Looks like it's in stock for $779.99, and ready to ship now.

Has there been any words on a solution for the Throttlign problem?
    Nice find. How nice to finally see a 38X0TG for sale in the US. The first 2 generations skipped us.

@Agrav - liquid nitrogen works well too.

Bronsky
    Lenovo Thinkpad X301 | Asus VivoTab Note 8 | Nokia 928
    Second-Hand Thinkpad X301 Owners: http://forum.notebookreview.com/leno...-s-thread.html

Notebook Enthusiast

What exactly sets off the throttling, and under what kind of conditions does it turn on? I've heard that gaming will do it for sure, but what about other CPU intensive operations such as video conversion and video editing?

I'm extremely excited that the AS3830TG is coming out in the U.S. and will definitely try to pick it up this summer (provided I can find it in stock somewhere of course.)

The only thing that's making me hesitate a little is the throttling issue. Any thoughts as to when an "official" solution will be created, and whether there's anything about it I should take caution of?

Purchased a 3830TG from Fry's. Anyone open it up yet?

In Taiwan Forums, they have made a 3830TG/4830TG modified BIOs with all menus unlocked. You can change more settings.

[??Bios][??] ??????? - Acer 3830TG-2312G64 [?SSD] - Mobile01

See it using Google Translate.

And someone posted the download link of the modified BIOs:
    Acer Aspire TimelineX 3830TG 1.04 UEFI Boot ALL MENUS rr3.rar
    Acer_Aspire_TimelineX_3830TG_1.04_UEFI-Boot_ALL_MENUS_rr3.rar

Anyone dares to try the above? I am afraid of bricking my PC. Use the above at your own risk

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by mrbeanyohan View Post
    In Taiwan Forums, they have made a 3830TG/4830TG modified BIOs with all menus unlocked. You can change more settings.

Anyone dares to try the above? I am afraid of bricking my PC. Use the above at your own risk
    What options available? Can we control the fan speed and throttling? OC?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbeanyohan View Post

this modded BIOS originally comes from here
    and already tested OK on 3830/4830/5830TG.

Quote Originally Posted by ptrkhh View Post
    What options available? Can we control the fan speed and throttling? OC?
    partially, yes.

Come on Haswell...

I'm not brave enough to try out a modified BIOS If the reports are positive I may try it, but not for now...
    * * OFFICIAL Flightsim thread * *

Acer TimelineX 3830T i5-2410m - 8GB DDR3 - 500GB HDD - Win8 Pro x64

Come on Haswell...

I promised a few days ago to post my thoughts on the 3830TG. This is not a review nor some thorough benchmarks and analysis. There aren't a whole lot of reviews on the internet, so maybe this will help some of you out.
    I won't post cpu/gpu benchmarks. For that you can always look at this review: Review Acer Aspire 3830TG Subnotebook - Notebookcheck.net Reviews

The specs are in my sig.

Reason for buying
    I bought this machine because I was tired of the small 11.6" screen of the 1810TZ (first generation timeline), it also didn't have enough cpu power for photoshopping and lightroom. (A hobby I discovered after buying the machine).
    But batterylife was also important to me, and also the screen size. So the 13.3" seemed perfect.

The screen
    Ok the screen is not perfect, it's 1366x768, I guess that's pretty normal and acceptable for this screen size, although it would be nice with more options. The viewing angles are also not the best. But this is not a dealbreaker for me. And yes it's glare type.

Build quality and design
    I'd say the build quality is definitely better than both the first generation timelines and second generation. Remember though that I've only had the machine for 1 week, so I don't know if it will start to fall apart in 2-3 weeks

Design is always a matter of taste. I can see why some people don't like the blue finish... I do. It's nice to have a machine with a different color, instead of the typical colors we see so often: black, grey (silver).

I do like the display lid hinges, they hold the screen in place, securely.
    The chiclet keyboard flexes a little, so if you're OCD about these things, then you won't be satisfied. The left palm rest area also makes a little "clicking" when applying pressure.

If you want to look at the hardware, change it or upgrade it, you only have to remove one screw. I don't know whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Ports
    I like the USB 3.0 port. I think it's ridicilous how some manufacturers still put out machines without usb 3.0 ports in 2011.
    HDMI? check! Card reader? Check! 2 usb 2.0 ports? check!
    That's all I need... Ofc you have the other normal ports (mic, S/PDIF etc.)

Bloatware
    Omg, I could write an essay about the bloatware on this machine. Luckily it's easy to remove, although it requires patience
    I kept the eRecovery, Launch manager (for the FN keys), Video conference manager (I'm not sure if it actually optimizes the webcam, or if it's some marketing thing, but for now I'm keeping it.) Intel turbo boost monitor (If you're a geek like me and want to see when the turboboost kicks in.)

Heat and throttling
    Well, yes, this machine get's hot under full load. It becomes a little uncomfortable on the lap under full load. The cpu hovers around 80c-85c degress when using too much juice. While writing this post 35c (nice and cool on the lap.
    Yes it does throttle in some games, but I think everyone knows that by now.
    The HDD temp. is around 35c right now. My 1810tz was around 40c.

Speakers
    I love the speakers, definitely an improvement over standard notebook speakers. You also get some Dolby software to tweak the sound settings. I think it's just some EQ software actually, but the "Dolby" brand makes it look like something big

Battery life
    If you've read my posts in this thread, I have a little problem with wear level. Right now it's at 10,22%. Now that's unacceptable for a machine I've had for 1 week!! I'm calling acer support on monday to ask them is going on.
    Wifi-on and max brightness, surfing the internet I don't get 9 hours. Maybe 5 hours or something like that. When gaming this number decreases to 1.5-2 hours max.

Conclusion
    Without going into detail with benchmarks and stuff like that, I can tell you that I'm pretty happy with this machine. I do hate the wear level problem though, and I'll post my results here, after talking to Acer support. On this forum, there are also reports of increasing wear level. My 1810tz is at 20% now, after 1.5 years of use.
    Maybe I just need to use the machine some more, and then the wear level will show some different number? I don't know, we'll see..
    * * OFFICIAL Flightsim thread * *

Acer TimelineX 3830T i5-2410m - 8GB DDR3 - 500GB HDD - Win8 Pro x64

Thanks for informing the modded BIOs comes from mydigitallife.

Anyone has tried the modded BIOs kind enough to share how to install the modified BIOs?

I am really afraid of frying my 1 day old notebook Thanks!