Quantcast Acer Aspire 5942G Owners Lounge - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Acer Aspire 5942G Owners Lounge

g47 I think you are right on the screen which is why I did the strengths and weakenesses thouroughly. I couldn't find a 'better screen' on a similar widely available laptop though so . . . .

I have to say that after a couple of weeks the screen is not causing me any worry at all, it feels a tad on the large /heavy side when used on my lap which makes me so glad I ignored the temptations of 17" models.

All in all I am picky as can be so if i'm happy then that's to be read as high praise
    If it isn't broken don't 'fix it' . . . or at least do this first !
    What to do when your New Acer arrives http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer...ml#post6295157
    Bios Updates without tears http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer...ml#post6308652

Notebook Enthusiast

Well I ended up purchasing the laptop, all in all I feel that it is pretty good, its looks nice and the specs are great. I have only ran a few games on it so far but it handeled the Just cause 2 demo with ease. The only con, as most people have said is the screen, it is far from brilliant but it isn't intolerable. The laptop is a bit heavy and the volume control can get confused sometimes but all in all I am very happy with my purchase.

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks, for the Information BruBoo...

I've checked my DEP using your method

wmic OS Get DataExecutionPrevention_Available

It responds
    DataExecutionPrevention_Available
    FALSE

So I guess it's the same problem for the i5 and i7 version of the 5942G
    So for now this laptop will not be as secure as an Aspire One (with just an Atom processor)...

Looks like this DEP problem also occurs in the Aspire 4740 (from another forum).
    Its a BIOS problem that Acer should fix.

Notebook Enthusiast

For Anyone interested in buying the Aspire 5942G, it's a good and powerful laptop. Most apps runs and opens fast in this laptop. It also runs most games in high settings.
    And it also has the VT (Hardware Virtualization) Enabled, so we can run Virtual PC or VMWare.

According to me some cons are :
    - Cineboost, better set this to off, this can cause flickers on some color patterns if turned on.
    - DEP disabled, there is no way to turn this on in the BIOS. This prevents installing Hyper-V if anyone's interested.
    - BIOS, too simple, nothing to play with, I prefer to have some settings to control VT, HT, DEP, AHCI. These settings won't harm the laptop, so why did the manufacturers hide it.

The pros :
    - Fast processor (I have the i7 version)
    - Big memory
    - Big HDD
    - VT enabled (runs virtualization)
    - DX 11 graphics, runs most modern normal games in high settings.
    - Backlighted keyboard (can be switched off)
    - Runs cool (my previous one the Aspire 5920G runs hot).

Overall, I'm very happy with this laptop.

g47
    Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
    - Runs cool (my previous one the Aspire 5920G runs hot).

By saying that, i believe you have some numbers.
    Can you share?

Notebook Enthusiast

g47, I'm using 2 sidebar gadgets from OrbLog
    One is the Intel Core Series gadget to monitor activities of all the cores, frequency and temperature of the processor.
    The other one is the GPU observer gadget which monitors the GPU temperature, frequency and load.
    These are nice small gadgets.

I'm running windows 7 using balanced power profile.
    My system is 5942G (Core i7, 4GB Ram, 640GB HDD, Radeon 5650)

Under normal work (Typing, compiling, browsing, email) :
    - The CPU temperature varies between 46-55 degree Celcius.
    - The GPU temperature varies between 45-53 degree Celcius.

While I'm typing this, the CPU temperature shows an average of 50 degree Celcius and the GPU temperature 45 degree Celcius.
    The fan is also silent.

I don't feel anything hot under my palms (I'm resting my palms near the touchpad on the laptop)

On my old laptop (Aspire 5920G, Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2 Ghz, 320 GB HDD, 4GB Ram, GeForce 8600m GT)
    The temperatures are around 58-65 degrees under normal work.
    And I feel hot under my palms. and the fan is noisy, especially after the last BIOS update which fixes the issues with the GeForce.

When I'm compressing a 12 GB file using WinRar or encoding a video using mediacoder, on the Core i7 the temperature is around 78-82 degrees celcius, while on the Core 2 Duo, the temperature is around 90-92 degrees celcius.

So compared to my old laptop (Aspire 5920G), yes the Aspire 5942G runs cooler and silent.

g47
    Notebook Consultant

Thanks for the answer.
    I have the 5942g with the same specs as yours and previously i had a 5920g as you did.
    The last one had an average temp of 45-50 at idle and 75 when playing games with advanced graphics.

But my 5942g at idle (and when i am in the net or typing) hits with ease 55, which i find to be a little high.
    I have not pressed it yet though to see its max temps.

Notebook Enthusiast

g47, yes I guess it hits with ease 55, the gadget which I'm using shows individual temps of the cores, some cores are at 48, some cores at 51 and some others at 55.

This gadget also shows that under normal work (just typing, emailing) the processor runs at 933 Mhz with temps at 48-55 degrees, but when I'm compiling for a few minutes, it hits easily to 2.4 - 2.6 Ghz and the temps are around 65-70 degrees celcius. When finished, it drops easily to 933 Mhz and the temps are back to 48-55 degree celcius.
    I guess its the effect of the turbo boost which makes the temps raise and drop quickly.

Notebook Enthusiast

Btw, the Turbo boost is amazing, besides the numbers above, when im compressing a large file with winrar or encoding with mediacoder, all the cores of the processor are fully loaded, the frequency hits to 2.4 Ghz but quickly drops to 1.73 Ghz for a few minutes and then drops to 1.6 Ghz for the rest of the time, at this point the temp reached around 78-82 degrees celcius.

Maybe if I put some external fan then I can keep the frequency to 1.73 Ghz all the time, but the cooling design of this laptop is different because there aren't any holes at the bottom except at the front so using an ordinary laptop cooler at the bottom will not be optimal.

g47
    Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
    but the cooling design of this laptop is different because there aren't any holes at the bottom except at the front so using an ordinary laptop cooler at the bottom will not be optimal.

That is something important that i had on mind to mention.
    On a usual laptop, you could easily reach the heat-sinks and the fans and have them cleaned with some air, with some paper with a little water or whatever.
    But what can you do on this laptop when dust builds up?
    I opened the small case that allows you to have access to the dimms and the hdd but no sign of the heat-sinks or fans.
    I think this is not good.
    What you will do in this case, in one year for example, when you will need to get rid of the dust?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast