Quantcast Why I cant flash BIOS in 64 bit Windows 7? - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Notebook Geek

Default Re: Why I cant flash BIOS in 64 bit Windows 7?

Quote Originally Posted by weinter View Post
    Ok Answers
    Flasher utility refers to the DOS Flashing Program.
    To flash you need the flasher utility and the BIOS Image file.

Wait a second, as koen pointed out to flash you need the flasher utility, bios file, AND the two dos files in in there that make the usb bootable right to flash?

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1807/84091105.png

except instead of BIOS.wph it should read

ZD13813.whp (my specific latest 5920g bios file)
    COMMAND
    KERNEL.SYS
    PHLASH16.EXE

You can use the Phlash16 inside or download phlash17 different version but I have tried both works on my laptop
    Ok, so Ill just use flash16 then? Unless phlash17 is better? Would would they release a new one if phlash16 works fine?

The reason you have to delete the autobat is so you can custom your own flash parameters otherwise it will execute the paramters in autobat instead.
    Actually almost all Phoenix BIOS update methods are like what I described, if you update ASUS BIOS the DOS way it is the same just substitute Phlash16 with Aflash and their relevant BIOS Image file.
    Yup I get that, but the point is for the motherboard to have its own built in flashing utility, that way you know you cant do anything wrong.

DOS flashing seems intimidating at first glance but it is really easy and safer than doing it in Windows because in DOS only 1 program is running: your flashing program while in Windows there are many services running that may potentially interfere with the flashing process.
    I completely understand this. I actually wondered if it was safer to flash in windows SAFE MODE if you are going to be flashing within windows, but no one talks about it so I try follow as much as I can what others are doing.

Aside form the other things mentioned, the thing that troubles me most with the method you provide is the parameters. Its easy to say dont be intimidated, but there's so many things you can stuff up on and have no explanation about relevance.

For example

Phoenix BIOS parameters

/c Clear CMOS Checksum

Why would I want to clear CMOS checksum? And if its such an important step when flashing why wouldn't the flash utility do it on its own before flashing anyway!?

/v Verify after each flash

This seems very logical and the only one I'm comfortable with. Verify that the bios transferred correctly after flashing is finished cant is always a good thing.

/s Remove the irritating beeps sounds made during flashing

If you only flash once every 10 years, why would you want to remove the beeping sounds? Surely its an extra level of communication from the pc which given the circumstances should not be annoying to you the least.

/x ignore xms memory protection

This sounds scary as well. what is xms memory protection and why would you want to ignore it?

In short, if all these parameters are so important why doesn't the flash utility do them by default? Makes me wonder what will happen if you just flash without the parameters!

Srel

You still get occasional Windows Flashing hang ups that brick Motherboards but in DOS it doesn't.
    Either it finishes or it doesn't start.
    Surely a flash utiility within the bios itself such as asus ez flash is a equivlent/better than this, and much much easier?

If the dos method is so good good why don't manufacturers provide you with a program that you simply insert a usb, press next, it formats and applies whatever changes you need, then you simply boot of the usb and it asks do you want to flash y/n.
    I get the feeling if dos was so idioitproof it wouldnt require such precision in the methodology.

Trust me if theres a way to muck it up I'll muck it up, which is exactly why I need to know what Im doing.

/dev/null

Don't worry it is very difficult to muck out in DOS Mode.
    Because either it finishes or it doesn't start both are safe.
    /c - Reset CMOS to default.
    /s - Trust me the beep is loud when you hear 14 beeps due to 14 BIOS BLOCK you want to turn it off
    /x - For DOS with memory check (Not Applicable for MiniDOS if you downloaded my package)

Phlash16 and 17 will work either one will do no difference.
    OEMs don't expect you to flash from DOS, too user unfriendly I presume.
    Selling OS X to Linux Users is like selling inferior ice to Eskimos.

Notebook Geek

Don't worry it is very difficult to muck out in DOS Mode.
    Because either it finishes or it doesn't start both are safe.
    /c - Reset CMOS to default.
    /s - Trust me the beep is loud when you hear 14 beeps due to 14 BIOS BLOCK you want to turn it off
    /x - For DOS with memory check (Not Applicable for MiniDOS if you downloaded my package)

Phlash16 and 17 will work either one will do no difference.
    OEMs don't expect you to flash from DOS, too user unfriendly I presume.
    Ok no problem. I guess ill just try it.
    But again, off course people are going to be following your guide, so why would you specify to use /x parameter if doesn't apply to the minidos thing within your guide? Its quite baffling. I am following only your instructions, and using that mini dos thing to make the bootable flash.

SO lucky I asked eh? I dont need the /x

so I basically write "phlash16.exe /c /v ZD13813.whp" whilst booted up in dos?

/dev/null

yep thats right

Notebook Geek

so If I did /x would it break something?

Btw I found this utility

http://www.biosman.com/bios-flash.html

ph614 so I I'll probably use that since its newer.

Thanks

/dev/null

Quote Originally Posted by pampum View Post
    so If I did /x would it break something?

Btw I found this utility

http://www.biosman.com/bios-flash.html

ph614 so I I'll probably use that since its newer.

Thanks
    It will just flash as per normal /x is used to bypass memory limits in certain DOS (but not applicable to miniDOS).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12