Quantcast Disabling awful power cord beep?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Disabling awful power cord beep?

Yesterday I purchased an Acer Aspire 5740 laptop, which I quite like except for the awful beep it makes when the power cord is plugged in or removed from the laptop. Is there any way to disable this beeping sound?

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Disabling awful power cord beep?

Lol... now how often do you keep connecting and disconnecting with it powered

It's a good reminder anyway, what if you were on battery, plugged in and had forgotten to have the adapter connected to the mains... you wouldn't know 'till the laptop shutdown that there was a problem.

I'm guessing if there is a way it will either be in "sounds" (right click the speaker icon in the tray) or the BIOS perhaps ?

Never known anyone want to turn it off before.

I'm guessing if there is a way it will either be in "sounds" (right click the speaker icon in the tray) or the BIOS perhaps ?
    It's not in either place.

Notebook Evangelist

Hmmm, in that case I've no idea, sorry.
    Be very interesting to know if it can be done though

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by aoeud View Post
    Yesterday I purchased an Acer Aspire 5740 laptop, which I quite like except for the awful beep it makes when the power cord is plugged in or removed from the laptop. Is there any way to disable this beeping sound?
    This is in XP, but should be pretty similar in Vista/7.
    Open "Device Manager" and go "View"->"Show hidden devices" then scrolls down to "Non-Plug and Pllay Drivers" click on the "+" and rightclick on the item that says "Beep". Then select "Disable" and restart your computer. Beep should be permanently disabled

If you do not see the beep there, or it doesn't disable it, then you will have to check Acer ePowermanagement (or whatever it is called) and see if there is something like "beep when power disconnected".

Anyway, good luck!
    Asus UX32VD-DH71: i7-3517U 1.9GHz / 10GB DDR3 / 320GB HDD / Nvidia GT 620M 1G / 13.3 IPS FHD / Ubuntu 12.10
    Acer Aspire 3820TG-3022: i5-520M 2.4GHz / 8GB DDR3 / OCZ Vertex 3 120Gb SSD / ATI 5470 512MB / 13.3 WXGA / Ubuntu 10.10
    Windows tax refund. Get $65 for Windows! Linux. Wins.
    If you have a question to ask me, please PM! I do NOT check threads.

I appreciate the help, prikolchik; however, I didn't get any love from that. I e-mailed Acer and hopefully they'll help (not sure why I didn't do this first)

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by aoeud View Post
    I appreciate the help, prikolchik; however, I didn't get any love from that. I e-mailed Acer and hopefully they'll help (not sure why I didn't do this first)
    Let us know what the outcome is

ok so i've been down this path and have emailed and called acer about this. They state there is no way to disable the sound as "it is enabled by default." lame excuse but that's what they say.

I did notice that if you dont install the realtek audio drivers, then the beep doesnt happen. Also the disable beep in device manager doesnt work in win7 and the "levels" option in the sound is nonexistant in win7.

The audio beep goes away when you mute the system. easiest way would be fn+f8

I subscribed to find to this forum to solve this very problem, but decided to do a search first. I think it's ridiculous that you can't turn the sound off. It's not that serious, but it's annoying, and pretty damn loud.

I don't get how you can adjust basically every other sound, but they would omit an adjustment for this one.

Mooly, I don't unplug it all constantly, but I tend to plug/unplug it every couple hours because I don't like to overcharge my battery. Whenever it maxes out, I unplug the chord. Then when it's gonna die again, I plug it back in. I never leave it plugged in when I"m not using it. I heard years ago that overcharging stuff kills the battery. IDK if it's true anymore, but I still do it.

ANyway, back to the topic... Acer's stupid for not allowing us to disable the sound.

Notebook Evangelist

Just a quick point on the battery... you won't overcharge it leaving it connected and on.
    LiOn cells are destroyed quickly by trickle charging, so as soon as 100% is reached the charge is terminated. If you don't use the battery it will be perhaps 2 to 5 days before the charger again "tops off" the battery to replace charge lost by natural chemical processes in the cells. THis usually happens when the battery is around the 96% full mark.

You are best just ocasionally using the battery... perhaps every two to three weeks or so with occasional fairly deep discharges.

Using the battery constantly "wears" it out They have a fairly well defined and limited number of charge/discharge cycles from new.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast