Quantcast Disabling awful power cord beep? - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Disabling awful power cord beep?

Quote Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
    Just a quick point on the battery... you won't overcharge it leaving it connected and on.
    LiOn cells are destroyed quickly by trickle charging, so as soon as 100% is reached the charge is terminated. If you don't use the battery it will be perhaps 2 to 5 days before the charger again "tops off" the battery to replace charge lost by natural chemical processes in the cells. THis usually happens when the battery is around the 96% full mark.

You are best just ocasionally using the battery... perhaps every two to three weeks or so with occasional fairly deep discharges.

Using the battery constantly "wears" it out They have a fairly well defined and limited number of charge/discharge cycles from new.
    Thanks for the info. I guess I was doing more harm then good by unplugging it regularly.

aoeud, did you get any new info from ACER??

Yes. I have discovered that they're useless. "It can't be disabled because it is the manufacturer's design." That's really quite frustrating, makes me want to return this, but barring that it's the best laptop for my needs... It wouldn't be so bad except the power cord is designed to slide out with the slightest force; I rarely intentionally unplug it.

Quote Originally Posted by aoeud View Post
    Yes. I have discovered that they're useless. "It can't be disabled because it is the manufacturer's design." That's really quite frustrating, makes me want to return this, but barring that it's the best laptop for my needs... It wouldn't be so bad except the power cord is designed to slide out with the slightest force; I rarely intentionally unplug it.
    I was just telling my g/f how annoying that is like 5 minutes ago.

I didn't know it was designed that way, but I guess it makes sense. I would much rather have it stay in all the time. It constantly falls out when I move the my laptop the slightest bit.

Thanks for the info. It's pretty stupid if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
    Lol... now how often do you keep connecting and disconnecting with it powered

It's a good reminder anyway, what if you were on battery, plugged in and had forgotten to have the adapter connected to the mains... you wouldn't know 'till the laptop shutdown that there was a problem.

I'm guessing if there is a way it will either be in "sounds" (right click the speaker icon in the tray) or the BIOS perhaps ?

Never known anyone want to turn it off before.
    This noise is one of the most annoying noises i have ever heard on a pc. Its very irritating to hear the sound when the cord disconnects suddenly. I dont really need the computer to tell me that the cord fell out as windows will give me a battery warning if battery gets low. Also i am unplugging the computer all the time using it in different areas of the house, and this battery sound really irritates me.

ALSO we have to small childrens, and they are sleeping close to the living room. VERY nice to wake them up just because the powerchord fell out ?

Most stupid thing ever i have seen on a notebook.

ALSO: Battery just stopped charging today, so this computer will be returned.

Regards
    Oddd

i need help with this too!! I just joined this forum for the sole purpose of getting this damn annoying problem solved. I bought an ACER Aspire 5740G laptop yesterday and it's my very first Acer laptop, and i'm already pissed off with the loud beelping sound!!

I go to university so don't use AC power all the time, and that's what a laptop is suppose to be for anyway, you carry it around and rely on maybe 1 or 2 hours of battery life. Unplugging the AC power is inevitable for me sometimes and it just pisses me off whenever it makes that loud beep, i tried all the options on this topic already, have checked options in ePower Management but found none useful, no options in BIOS has the option to disable beep either, and i have disabled the beep driver itself and it's still BEEPING!! AHH!!

Notebook Evangelist

Hands down the most annoying/stupid thing Acer has ever done

Solution!

I have a solution, believe it or not it is the REALTEK AUDIO DRIVERS

1) Uninstall your audio driver.
    2) Reboot.
    3) Let windows replace them with generic HD audio drivers.
    4) Enjoy never hearing the awful beep again.

-JBud

Notebook Evangelist

Does doing that not cause a lot of functionality to disappear, such as the SPDIF output etc ?

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by aoeud View Post
    Yesterday I purchased an Acer Aspire 5740 laptop, which I quite like except for the awful beep it makes when the power cord is plugged in or removed from the laptop. Is there any way to disable this beeping sound?
    Usually it is output via the pc speaker. It usually helps to disable or mute the pc speaker in Windows.

I have a Lenovo N500 with the exact same problem...trying the Beep fix in device manager as we speak...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast