Quantcast [GUIDE] Clean install of Windows 7 on Acer

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default [GUIDE] Clean install of Windows 7 on Acer

Guide: Clean installation of Windows 7 on Acer, heavily edited by moderators

This guide explains how to do a clean installation of Windows 7 on an Acer computer that's been licensed to used it.
    If your system originally came with Windows Vista, you need an Acer Upgrade Kit.
    If your system originally came with Windows 7, use the key on the bottom of your machine.

The described method will work for ANY edition (Starter/Home/Pro/Ultimate) and for ANY architecture (32/64-bit) and ANY language, but only the version you are licensed for; no free upgrades here.

Step 1: Verify eligibility for Windows 7.
    CONTENT REMOVED DUE TO PIRACY CONCERNS
    Either you are licensed for Windows 7 by having a key on the bottom of your machine, or you have an Acer Upgrade kit. If you have neither, then you are not licensed for it, regardless of what's in your BIOS.

Step 2: Back-up factory images and personal files.
    Since we will be reinstalling Windows you will lose all your files and ability to restore to factory condition, so it would be a wise thing to make back-ups.
    A. Back-up factory images.
    If you want to have restore DVDs then it should be a good time to create them now. You can do it via Acer eRecovery program. If you have a built-in or external DVD drive then simply burn them and if you do not then you can save DVD image to your hard drive. Follow these instructions.
    B. Back-up personal files.
    If you have files you would like to keep now it is time to save them to either a flash drive or an external hard drive.

Step 3: Preparing Windows 7 installation image.
    Simply use the content in this topic to download and prepare your Windows 7 DVD or USB key. This will also remove the version restriction so the burned DVD or prepped USB key can be used to install any version of Windows 7 - you'll still need the right license key, of course.

Step 4: Setting up Windows 7 installation media.
    See above.

Step 5. Installing Windows 7.
    Now that you have your installation media created in Step 4 we can start the installation.
    A. Booting from installation media
    (skip this step if you know how to use boot menu)
    A.A. Making sure you have F12 boot menu enabled in BIOS.
    To do so turn on the computer and immediately start pressing F2 key until you get into BIOS setup. Navigating with arrow keys you should look around for "F12 Boot Menu" setting and make sure it is set to "Enabled". Once that is done press F10 to save settings and restart the computer.
    A.B. Booting from media via F12 boot menu
    After plugging in USB flash drive or inserting installation DVD in the drive turn on the computer and start pressing F12 immediately and wait for a menu to appear. Now select what you are booting from and press Enter. It should start booting into Windows installation.
    If for some reason it fails to boot or your device is not listed in the boot menu, then press Ctl+Alt+Del to restart the computer and try again.
    B. Actually installing Windows
    B.A. Selecting edition.
    When you are asked what Windows edition to install, select the one which you are entitled to (the edition your computer ships with). For example, my laptop came with Vista Home Premium so I'm installing Windows 7 Home Premium.
    B.B. Entering product key.

Once you are asked for product key there are two ways you can go here. You can either use the OEM key on the bottom/side of your computer (if your computer came with Windows 7) or install using the key included with your Windows 7 Upgrade Kit.

The rest of the installation should be pretty intuitive. If you still need some help you can find many guides on the Internet (use google).

Step 6. Installing OEM certificate.
    CONTENT REMOVED DUE TO PIRACY CONCERNS.

Step 7. Installing system drivers
    Now that installation is finished and Windows is activated you can install the correct system drivers. You can get those at Acer Support website or by downloading them directly from component manufacturers.

Have fun!

Mod Note: ABR Method
    It may be possible to do a clean install with the ABR(Activation Backup and Restore) method. Details are listed in this thread and you must use the Beta version of ABR(again, it may not work).
    Last edited by Kdawgca; 10th June 2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Removed content due to piracy concerns.
    Asus UX32VD-DH71: i7-3517U 1.9GHz / 10GB DDR3 / 320GB HDD / Nvidia GT 620M 1G / 13.3 IPS FHD / Ubuntu 12.10
    Acer Aspire 3820TG-3022: i5-520M 2.4GHz / 8GB DDR3 / OCZ Vertex 3 120Gb SSD / ATI 5470 512MB / 13.3 WXGA / Ubuntu 10.10
    Windows tax refund. Get $65 for Windows! Linux. Wins.
    If you have a question to ask me, please PM! I do NOT check threads.

Weihnachtsmann

Default re: [GUIDE] Clean install of Windows 7 on Acer

This should be stickied IMO

Notebook Deity

Nice. +1 rep
    I have too many laptops...

/dev/null

I already knew about this but the legal implications are grey to be published like this...
    I hope you can remove the alternative link for the reasons above...
    Selling OS X to Linux Users is like selling inferior ice to Eskimos.

nice work indeed, being a bit lazy here but does anyone know if the upgrade that you order online can be used on non-Acer machines, i.e the CD key that you recieve along with the upgrade disk working on a non-Acer machine on a clean install? I'm guessing no...Only got my new Acer yesterday.

Cheers

Notebook Evangelist

Hi, OEM means that it is licenced to the PC/Laptop, as you are purchasing a upgrade to the OEM licence for a Acer it cannot be transfered, thus you cannot install it on a non-Acer machine. The OEM licence is fixed to the hardware.
    Chris
    Aspire 8930G
    18.4" Full HD 1080P LCD
    P8400 @ 2.26ghz
    4gb DDR3
    Geforce 9700M GT
    WD 320gb 7200rpm HD
    WD 320gb 5400rpm HD
    Blue-Ray
    Bluetooth
    Windows 7

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks very much! Got a brand new 1810TZ today and first thing I did was reformat and wondered why the S/N on the bottom didn't work... definately saved the day. Thanks again! Amazing, top of the google search and thread only started today...

Part-time Acer Moderator

Sharing the SLP license keys is a bit of a grey area (and I'm calling in another moderator for his opinion), but there is no way I'm allowing you to post torrent links for Windows 7 here on NBR.
    If people really care to get them, they can make the effort and Google for them themselves.
    Sorry if I'm not around too often - life seems to have gotten in the way of NBR.
    Acer Aspire 6920G Lv. 3.1
    Core 2 Duo T8300 (1.000V) - GeForce 9500M GS (635/1270/475)- 640GB WD Scorpio Blue
    16" 16:9 WXGA LCD - 4GB DDR2-667 - Panasonic UJ-120 - Windows 7 Professional x64

3DMark06 = 4685 (1280x768) | 3852 at stock

Proud Member of the NBR Acer Support Crew - My Crowning Post of Awesome

Thank you for the guide

::Noob question alert::

I have one question, if i do this to make a clean install of windows 7 on my 1410(To remove all the bloatware and stuff I don't want or need) will it, in the end, be a valid windows install or will MS at some point(like on an update or service pack download) tell me I have a pirated/unactivated copy of windows 7?

/dev/null

No it won't because this is OEM Activation.
    Anyway I hope TS will remove the site to link to SLIC Dump Toolkit.
    Selling OS X to Linux Users is like selling inferior ice to Eskimos.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast