Quantcast Install vista from recovery partition

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Install vista from recovery partition

hi everyone,

I'm having some trouble with vista running some components are missing. I was just wondering is there a way to access the vista portion on the recovery partition and run it to upgrade/repair vista? or is it only accessible for a clean install? hoping for some help

Moderately Boss

Default Re: Install vista from recovery partition

which components are missing to be exact?
    . #flickr
    [Desktop] Silverstone LC20B | Q8200 2.8ghz | GTX680OCE | 8GB RAM | 128GB M4 SSD | 12TB HDD | Intel 6300N | Dell U3014
    [Notebook] HP DV2500 Verve SE | T7500 | 8400GS | 4GB DDR2 RAM | WD 250GB HDD | Intel 4965AGN |
    [Worktop] NZXT Apollo | i7-3770 | GTX 460SE | 12GB DDR3 | 120GB Intel 330 SSD | M-Audio Delta 66 | Dell U2913

Notebook Enthusiast

not sure completely but for now its missing the services needed for wireless. I figured i needed to reinstall the driver. but it's windows. now i don't know if there are other areas of my computer with errors as i just fixed my computer from not booting via recovery console. i had a little trouble with gparted yesterday.

Moderately Boss

Normally you cannot access and breakdown the Vista files in the recovery partition that easily since its only supposed to be used for recovery installs.

Try the Vista Recovery Disc
    . #flickr
    [Desktop] Silverstone LC20B | Q8200 2.8ghz | GTX680OCE | 8GB RAM | 128GB M4 SSD | 12TB HDD | Intel 6300N | Dell U3014
    [Notebook] HP DV2500 Verve SE | T7500 | 8400GS | 4GB DDR2 RAM | WD 250GB HDD | Intel 4965AGN |
    [Worktop] NZXT Apollo | i7-3770 | GTX 460SE | 12GB DDR3 | 120GB Intel 330 SSD | M-Audio Delta 66 | Dell U2913

Notebook Enthusiast

i have a vista recovery disc and tried it doesn't seem to fix those problems. I managed to use it to fix my booting problem. but services and system files seem o be missing. Through recovery disc can i access the vista files in the recovery partition. Although it doesn't seem to show the recovery partition on the recovery center disc. At this point should I just factory install and then reinstall all my apps?

I was thinking rather then factory reinstalling and making partitions to multiboot. if I were to upgrade to windows 7 (which i was trying to partition) from my vista would that install the missing files/fix the problem? Additionally if i straight upgrade to windows 7: 1) is it recommended without multibooting 2) will it void my warranty since i am not using the software that came with my computer?
    Last edited by lilanswer; 6th May 2009 at 04:22 AM. Reason: new idea

Notebook Enthusiast

I would factory reinstall - it's a long process but it will comfirm all working hardware and service issues.

You can then go about planing a fresh install or multiboot option.

There maybe 3 partitions 0,1 and 2 (not sure of your model)

0 will be ID 27 which changes when ALT + F10 is pressed during boot to 07 using data stored in the custom MBR.
    1 will be your windows partition and ID 07 Active and Bootable but may look corrupt or unformatted to some partition utilities.
    2 will be visible and accessable to windows and where you can store backups and user data.

Partition 2 is nothing special so any backup of data can just be of the files that partition 2 contains.
    Partition 1 has a backup within Partition 0 so Partition 0 is our priority for backup (you may have user data on partition 0 my documents etc...)
    Partition 0 requires a custom MBR in order to boot with ALT+F10 (you can change the ID to 07 and make the partition active if need be)

So I would backup the MBR with HDHacker and make a backup of Partition 0 with your favouit Disk Backup Proggy (Paragon Drive Backup).

With both these items backed up you can set about modding your PC

I also found that eRecovery will require a folder c:\acer\preload\autorun in order to install.

I would also recommend a windows based boot manager for multibooting Windows 7 and Vista.

[EDIT] Bootmanagers will alter the MBR

Notebook Enthusiast

thanks for the advice. unfortunately my laptop is worse off then i thought it can't even seem to access the recovery partition. so i decided to upgrade to windows 7 see if that fixes some of my problems. and at some point i'll have to try to regain access to the recovery partition. It's showing up just when i press alt f10 nothing happens just starts up as normal. When i get it working or a recovery disc i think i'll clean install and do things as they were meant to be done. where would i find a boot manager? shame i didn't read you post earlier. oh well.

Notebook Enthusiast

Don't dispare or dispair

Have a look at hxxp://www.goodells.net/ and his POPULAR LINKS:

It's a DELL thing but relates to Backup Partitions.

You have lost the use of ALT + F10 (ctrl + F11 with Dell) but you still may have your PQSERVICE partition.

hxxp://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/dellmbr.htm

So you could use PowerQuest Partition Table Editor (ptedit.exe)
    hxxp://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/manual.htm

hxxp://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixdesc.htm

The example will show Type as:
    DE
    0C

You should see:
    27 - eRecover Partition
    07 - Windows
    07 - DATA

00 will be unsed

Change 27 to 07
    Change the Boot from 00 to 80
    and
    Change the Boot from 80 to 00 ???? what!!!

80 is/means Active so only one partition should be Active:

was:

27 00
    07 80
    07 00
    00 00

NOW:

07 80
    07 00
    07 00
    00 00

Reboot and hopefully you can start the recovery process.

(It might need a manual kick from you, you may be presented with a DOS screen with boot options - just hit enter)

What was edited with PQPTE will be undone after the process completes and you should have a working system

ALT + F10 will still not work as the MBR has changed! Might solve that later but for now PQPTE will help boot to the eRecovery partition in the future or use a Boot Manager - Paragon and VCOM examples.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AcerAspire2930 View Post
    Don't dispare or dispair

Have a look at hxxp://www.goodells.net/ and his POPULAR LINKS:

It's a DELL thing but relates to Backup Partitions.

You have lost the use of ALT + F10 (ctrl + F11 with Dell) but you still may have your PQSERVICE partition.

hxxp://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/dellmbr.htm

So you could use PowerQuest Partition Table Editor (ptedit.exe)
    hxxp://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/manual.htm

hxxp://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixdesc.htm

The example will show Type as:
    DE
    0C

You should see:
    27 - eRecover Partition
    07 - Windows
    07 - DATA

00 will be unsed

Change 27 to 07
    Change the Boot from 00 to 80
    and
    Change the Boot from 80 to 00 ???? what!!!

80 is/means Active so only one partition should be Active:

was:

27 00
    07 80
    07 00
    00 00

NOW:

07 80
    07 00
    07 00
    00 00

Reboot and hopefully you can start the recovery process.

(It might need a manual kick from you, you may be presented with a DOS screen with boot options - just hit enter)

What was edited with PQPTE will be undone after the process completes and you should have a working system

ALT + F10 will still not work as the MBR has changed! Might solve that later but for now PQPTE will help boot to the eRecovery partition in the future or use a Boot Manager - Paragon and VCOM examples.

Thanks for the advice aceraspire. It seemed to have worked because i was able to see the pqrs drive in windows explorer. but now i have another challenge i hope you can surmount.

I went to reboot like you suggested tried alt + f10 nothing comes up at all. computer caries on doing the usual then comes up on a dos like screen saying "missing operating system." and it just stays there until i turn off. What are you thoughts on this? Any solutions. awaiting to hear from you.

I have a vista repair disc is there a way i can use that to access the recovery partition now that it is unhidden? and then continue with the factory restore?
    Last edited by lilanswer; 6th May 2009 at 07:47 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Try this as a solution to the ALT + F10

http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...18#post4793918

Quote Originally Posted by bangert View Post
    Don't know if these will work, but I uploaded this for someone a while ago.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4myhqy2qxlw

The files your looking for are in here.
    Might help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast