Quantcast Acer Aspire One won't run on battery, only on main.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Notebook Guru

Default Acer Aspire One won't run on battery, only on main.

I got an Aspire One a few months ago and it worked fine. I hardly ever use it.

I brought it with my on vacation and when I went to boot it up, it wouldn't turn on. Figured the battery was dead so I put the power cord in and turned it on.

After an hour or so, I unplugged the power cable and it instantly shut off. Thought it was weird, but whatever.

I just now noticed though that the battery light blinks orange. XP says the battery is 100%, but if you unplug the AC power, it instantly shuts off and it can't be turned on without the AC.

Any ideas? Worked fine a month ago and I probably haven't even touched it since then.

ATG
    2x4

Default Re: Acer Aspire One won't run on battery, only on main.

Hmm..try to remove the battery and leave the netbook for like half an hour. Then put it back and try again. It does sound like a faulty battery though..

Notebook Enthusiast

I have the same EXACT problem!! please let me know if you found a solution to your/our problem other than applying to acer for a replacement. thanks
    Transitioning to only one computer (notebook)...tough times ahead. :-P

My Acer is doing the same thing. I am sending my netbook to Acer to let them fix the problem. My guess is that the battery is faulty and that they may need to recall some batteries. I will keep you guys posted on what Acer says or does.

Notebook Evangelist

There have been a few reports of faulty batts on Aspireoneuser.com...

Some people have had luck with Acer expressing them a new battery, wherin they send you the new one and then you send them the old. Call and see what you can work out.

Even if it takes a week that you can't use a battery, it's better than shipping your baby off in a drab brown box...

Also, you can try flashing your BIOS with the utility provided from Acer's DL site. Newest is v3309, and has been reported by many to fix issues such as these.

Read: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/v...p?f=24&t=11734

Except that you can download that file from Acer here: http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers...s_one_150.html

Just unzip, and run the exe from within Windows. Machine will reboot, and you should be good to go.
    Sporting a Dell Inspiron e1405. Core2Duo T7200, 320GB WD Scorpio Black, 4GB RAM. Tri-booting(x64*): Win7, Fedora12 and Mint8.

Google Chrome & Windows 7 Fanboy Club President

I am running Linux and have the same problem and did what was said above and it dont work?

Notebook Deity

The power jack are also used as a mechanic switch , about setting the proper power source .

If the power jack got misused even ones , the damage to it , its permanent .

What i am trying to say are , that in the scale of importance ...
    The power jack comes first , and the condition of the battery second.
    ACER TM 2414 WLMi | P1.6M 725A (2128 MHz) | 1GB Ram | Blue Scorpio WD160GB | BT int Broadcom 2045 | PCMCIA card reader 5in1 EDUP | Panasonic UJ-870 | Belkin F8E353eaLRG

Links for you !! ACER Erecovery Basics Win XP. | Do it yourself: Blue tooth internal module | AS 3610 & TM 2414WLMi upgrades | Fresh Battery - Tips

Notebook Geek

Batteries can die if they are left in the laptop for a long time without charging. Some drain from the battery will take place and can put the battery into a deep discharge and it can 'forget' how to charge.
    Most modern batteries cope will with being topped up very regularly and can also cope with full discahrge and recharge cycles. Some manufactures will recommend a particular approach, but generally draining a battery very deeply will result in failure to charge. Sometimes this can be rescued, but sometimes it cannot.

rag

hi! i had the same problem. dead battery! i own an acer aspire one A110 with linux installed. when i powered up using the power cable, power management in the OS (linux in my case) showed battery power 100% charged. confusing? you bet! the laptop was telling me that the battery was fully charged but when i tried to start up using the battery - nothing! i tried charging the battery without turning the machine on (just plugged in to the mains using the power cable and left it for a few hours). the little battery indicator kept blinking red but nothing happened, the battery didn't charge up. i took the battery in and out and tried again umpteen times. nothing!
    then i noticed something - when you pop the battery in and out of the pc there are two clips at each end that lock the battery in place - i hadn't ever thought about locking the clips in place. i thought the battery kind of clicked in to place and the locks clicked in to position automatically - they don't! (bad design detail if you ask me). if you lock the battery in place with the clips then everything works. the battery charges up (the red light indicator stops blinking and remains constant while the battery charges and then turns green when it's fully charged). everything works as it should! if you don't lock the battery in place using these clips then it's as if the pc doesn't recognise that the battery is installed. it's as simple as that. well... it was for me. hope it's just as simple for you too.

OK, folks, here is the real answer. Some models of the Acer Aspire One have a small code problem in the BIOS. That problem prevents a discharged battery from recharging. Acer can update the BIOS quite easily and all will work fine. Your batteries are probably A-OK. You just need a code tweek. I got one on mine and all is well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast