Quantcast Acer 5920 D2D Recovery

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Acer 5920 D2D Recovery

Hello;

I just lost my Windows Vista on my 5920. Don't ask how. Now; how do I reinstall my windows using D2D recovery. About 24 GB of my hardisk is allocated to D2D.

> I don't get the recovery option by pressing Alt+F10 nor by Cntl+F10.

> According to Acer manual (online) I should Press F2 when Acer Logo comes during the start of the system. Go to boot & put D2D as boot 1st option. However, I don't see any D2D option in boot options.

How do I do it?

JellyRoll touring now

Default Re: Acer 5920 D2D Recovery

press F2 to enter setup,, on second tab of BIOS there should be an option to ENABLE or DISABLE the D2D feature... just make sure it is enabled...

to my knowledge there is no option in the BOOT ORDER section of the BIOS that deals with D2D,, so just make sure the HDD is the first boot device since the D2D is on the HDD.

save the bios settings and exit...

then at the ACER BOOT SCREEN when you see the press F2 message,,, just keep press/releasing the ALT+F10 and it should boot into hidden partition (which will be XP command line) and follow the onscreen instructions to recover the HDD from the data on the hidden partition..

if you have reloaded the OS from a VISTA CD then your MBR has been replaced and you will not be able to get the D2D feature to work with out restoring the original custom ACER MBR from some other source.

hope that clears things up a bit
    nbrsearch

ACER Aspire 5315-2153
    T5750 Core2Duo
    2GB PC5300 RAM
    NEC 6550A D/L DVD Burner
    XP PRO SP3
    catch me at the redlight, aim for my head!.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bigozone View Post
    press F2 to enter setup,, on second tab of BIOS there should be an option to ENABLE or DISABLE the D2D feature... just make sure it is enabled...

to my knowledge there is no option in the BOOT ORDER section of the BIOS that deals with D2D,, so just make sure the HDD is the first boot device since the D2D is on the HDD.

save the bios settings and exit...

then at the ACER BOOT SCREEN when you see the press F2 message,,, just keep press/releasing the ALT+F10 and it should boot into hidden partition (which will be XP command line) and follow the onscreen instructions to recover the HDD from the data on the hidden partition..
    Thanks. I'll check that.

if you have reloaded the OS from a VISTA CD then your MBR has been replaced and you will not be able to get the D2D feature to work with out restoring the original custom ACER MBR from some other source.

hope that clears things up a bit
    Didn't get this part though. Can you tell me in English

Notebook Deity

If you did not use the D2D (disk to disk) recovery when fixing windows, you will never be able to use the D2D recovery option every again unless you made a backup of your pc with some imaging software

There is some engrish 4 ya's!
    Acer 5672wmli review - Link | HP G60-507dx review - Link
    Acer 5672 guides - Link | Link | Sager NP8150 guides - Link

JellyRoll touring now

or if you have EVER used a VISTA CD to load VISTA onto the ACER, then that CD replaced a file that is critical to the D2D process... and without that file the D2D will never again work.
    nbrsearch

ACER Aspire 5315-2153
    T5750 Core2Duo
    2GB PC5300 RAM
    NEC 6550A D/L DVD Burner
    XP PRO SP3

Notebook Enthusiast

or if you have EVER used a VISTA CD to load VISTA onto the ACER, then that CD replaced a file that is critical to the D2D process... and without that file the D2D will never again work.
    Oh! I have installed Vista from another CD/DVD for temporary period till I learn D2D recovery. This means D2D wont work anymore?

JellyRoll touring now

that is correct... unless you made the RESTORE DISKS the D2D won't work again unless you figure out how to restore the ACER MBR...

so hopefully you made the RECOVERY DISKS... if not you may have to send to acer to have the system reloaded properly if you cannot find info on replacing the ACER MBR... (i know nothing about it,, but i have seen threads here discussing the process)
    nbrsearch

ACER Aspire 5315-2153
    T5750 Core2Duo
    2GB PC5300 RAM
    NEC 6550A D/L DVD Burner
    XP PRO SP3

Notebook Enthusiast

that is correct... unless you made the RESTORE DISKS the D2D won't work again unless you figure out how to restore the ACER MBR...

so hopefully you made the RECOVERY DISKS... if not you may have to send to acer to have the system reloaded properly if you cannot find info on replacing the ACER MBR... (i know nothing about it,, but i have seen threads here discussing the process)
    No I haven't made a Recovery Disk

Guess I'll have to do with this Vista from here on.

old boy

we need or ACER needs to make it more clearer and show how important it is to BURN/MAKE the recovery disks.

we have come across this problem so many times something needs to be done.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by hoggie View Post
    we need or ACER needs to make it more clearer and show how important it is to BURN/MAKE the recovery disks.

we have come across this problem so many times something needs to be done.
    I agree.

Acer should not allow Windows to work at all or partially (preferred since prefer to turn on the laptop at the shop before buying ... helps make decision) unless the user makes a Recovery DvD. Plus; BIOS/DOS should give clear warning that you are installing Windows from another DVD/CD, with this you'll loose your D2D and also ask 'Are you installing windows from Recovery CD? Yes [Y], No [N]" If No then it should give warning.

Anyways; I don't know if I lost my D2D but I did try it. D2D is enabled & when I pressed Alt+F10 it gave me "Edit Bios Option" where I can't do much but to go back to the windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast