Quantcast Acer WiFi button ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Geek

Default Acer WiFi button ?

Hi

I'm thinking of buying my first laptop an Acer Aspire 7520 and it has quick launch key for Wifi , Does anybody know if this key phisically turns off WiFi or just disables windows from working with it ?

Thanks

My Kind Of Place

Default Re: Acer WiFi button ?

It just switch off your wifi connection.Every laptop have that button

Notebook Consultant

I think it's just stopping the service that's enables you to use wifi. So nothing physical
    Login: yes | Password: Errr...can't really say
    password is incorrect
    Login: yes | Password: incorrect

old boy

it can be a pain some times, when you move your laptop you can press it by accident.
    my WiFi button is on the left hand side edge.

NBR Super Moderator

It is physical (at least in some cases)- this button usually requires some additional software (i.e. Acer Launch Manager) and if you don't have it installed you can't use Wi-Fi.
    All services are running all the time- it cannot be about services as you may use either WZC or whatever software your WiFi card producer provided- in each case there is a different service for that.

old boy

on my aspire 7110 i use the broadcom software as the WZC would keep droping connection every couple of hours and you had to open services and restart it.
    with the broadcom i've had no trouble what so ever for three months.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by downloads View Post
    It is physical (at least in some cases)- this button usually requires some additional software (i.e. Acer Launch Manager) and if you don't have it installed you can't use Wi-Fi.
    All services are running all the time- it cannot be about services as you may use either WZC or whatever software your WiFi card producer provided- in each case there is a different service for that.
    Well I don't have launch manager installed here. The bluetooth and wifi buttons still work. the other two don't anymore. So It could be physical, but you don't need launch manager to use the buttons
    Login: yes | Password: Errr...can't really say
    password is incorrect
    Login: yes | Password: incorrect

Notebook Geek

Some laptops have a button or slider or bios settings to phisically turn off the power to the WiFi so it is completely off in the same way as removing the WiFi card and frees up the slot address , But others have a short cut key to disable WiFi in windows control panel in the same way that you can right click on WiFi and choose disable and all this does is stop windows from talking to the WiFi and from what i've read the card goes into a low power state but from time to time it will broadcast Wake on network packets to check if it is needed.

So it's not completely off and i wondered how Acer tend to control the WiFi on there laptops.
    Last edited by tempaccount23456; 15th September 2007 at 10:39 PM.

NBR Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Tea View Post
    Some laptops have a button or slider or bios settings to phisically turn off the power to the WiFi so it is completely off in the same way as removing the WiFi card and frees up the slot address , But others have a short cut key to disable WiFi in windows control panel in the same way that you can right click on WiFi and choose disable and all this does is stop windows from talking to the WiFi and from what i've read the card goes into a low power state but from time to time it will broadcast Wake on network packets to check if it is needed.

So it's not completely off and i wondered how Acer tend to control the WiFi on there laptops.
    ...and Acer has a physical switch-all services are running, device manager shows the card (it's not disabled device) but it's powered off.

Notebook Geek

On the Acer Aspire 7520 the WiFi button is on the Easy-launch strip at the top next to the keys for email , bluetooth , Acer Arcade ect ect

So if the WiFi is disabled by this button i could reinstall windows or linux on a fresh formatted drive and WiFi would still be off until that button is activated again ?

Last edited by tempaccount23456; 17th September 2007 at 05:23 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast