Quantcast Acer Hidden Recovery Partition - Page 8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Notebook Guru

Default Re: Acer Hidden Recovery Partition

Quote Originally Posted by ASTROB View Post
    Hi umanzor,

if you are looking for the mbr exe to restore the alt F10. You need to look into the PQservices or a back up disc that was made before losing this function. The file to look for is mbrwrdos.exe, you will find this in file acer\tools\mbrwrdos. To run this you will need to be in dos.
    Once ran this should rebuild the mbr to allow the recovery to work.
    How do I view what's on the PQSERVICE partition of my hard drive so that I can find mbrwrdos.exe?
    ***Current***
    Apple ibook G4 (01/25/2008 - Present)
    Processor: PPC G4 1.33 Ghz
    RAM: 1 GB
    Video: 32 MB
    Optical Drive: CD-RW/DVD-ROM "Super Drive"
    Hard Drive: 40 GB

***Retired***
    acer Aspire 5040 (10/31/2006 - 01/25/2008)

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1 View Post
    I found the eRecovery is very useful in creating current OS and programme installations backups in D:drive. I need to replace the 40GB HDD on my ACER AS3623 with a 120GB. I do not have the NAPP CD, any help to create the hidden partition on the 120GB is appreciated.
    The "guest" & "guest" login is no longer valid password. Where can I download the NAPP CD?

If somebody can upload ISO image of NAPP cd on rapidshare or similar that would be highly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have an Acer 5024wlmi laptop with Vista OS and would like to go back to Xp but every time I try to install it, the laptop shuts down during installation process without warnning. The solution, I think, is to format the whole disk and do a clean install of Xp but that would erase the hidden partition and away warranty (or would it?). So my question is: How to go from Vista back to Xp but still keep the hidden partition?

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by franjoseljak View Post
    Hi,

I have an Acer 5024wlmi laptop with Vista OS and would like to go back to Xp but every time I try to install it, the laptop shuts down during installation process without warnning. The solution, I think, is to format the whole disk and do a clean install of Xp but that would erase the hidden partition and away warranty (or would it?). So my question is: How to go from Vista back to Xp but still keep the hidden partition?
    Without using the D2D recovery partition or without the restore DVD the next best option would have been to back up your partition table with Acronis True Image 7 for FREE. But you probably did not do that, so your only hope is to send it back to acer and have them re-image the hdd for you.

--ssx--
    Acer 5672wmli review - Link | HP G60-507dx review - Link
    Acer 5672 guides - Link | Link | Sager NP8150 guides - Link

Without using the D2D recovery partition or without the restore DVD the next best option would have been to back up your partition table with Acronis True Image 7 for FREE. But you probably did not do that, so your only hope is to send it back to acer and have them re-image the hdd for you.
    I have the Acer backup DVD and I've tried using it but the same thing happend (shut down during installation) and the screen went black, so I've re-installed Vista. Looks like I can (re)install Vista but not XP.

Hi all

My girlfriend has a 1690 and it recently started losing XP files at random (from the system32 folder). We reinstalled it a couple of times and itkept losing files after a period of time. I assumed this was a hd prob and installed linux and some tools to try and track it down.

Now when the restore CD is put back in it complains about "incorrect disk in drive c:"

Is there a way to solve this or is it a dead HDD?

We've since tried linux again once or twice and it seems to not hold its partition table. Keeps reading the table as "unknown filesystem".

Anyone seen this before?

Fixed it!

Redid the partition table, then restored windows (which didn't restore the MBR, can I have a REAL windows disk with my purchase next time please?) and then restored the MBR with a copy of knoppix and testdisk

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi!
    I want to make a clean XP install, but to leave all partitions as they are so that I donīt mess anything up. I was thinking of formatting C: and D: (by using Partition Magic from Hirenīs for exampe, although Iīm not sure yet if that will work, more research is to be done), then converting them to NTFS and finally installing XP. The idea is that I want to leave PQSERVICE and be able to use it, if I need to. But then I found this:
    "Also, if you re-installed WinXP, it would have overwritten the MBR (WinXP tends to do that nasty). This means you've lost the Acer-specific MBR code (unless you imaged the drive before installing WinXP). The Acer-specific MBR is what "notices" Alt-F10 and changes which partition to boot. You most likely now have the WinXP MBR code, which doesn't check for Alt-F10, so nothing will happen.

If you still have your PQSERVICE partition, and want to boot it, you still might be able to. You'll need a bootable CDROM (or bootable USB floppy drive) with Win98 command prompt and some utilities, like PTEDIT."

So, what about that?
    And what would be the best way for me to format the partitions separately, not the whole hard drive, and convert thenm (if thatīs possible) and will I lose this booting option as far as the MBR is concerned (I know PQSERVICE wonīt work with NTFS)?

Hi!!!
    Guys i need some help...I own Acer Aspire9804WKMi with raid hdd and my recovery partition must be erased (my disk is formated)Alt+F10 don't do anything.Now i can't install XP, i need to go with F6 and install raid drivers but i dont have floopy drive (Acer say's that they want 50 Euro for recovery disk LOL)

Plzzzzz Help meee!!!

P.S. Sorry for my English.

Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast