Quantcast Acer Hidden Recovery Partition - Page 39

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Acer Hidden Recovery Partition

I just purchased an Acer AspireRevo nettop (like the Atom netbooks, but no screen, keyboard, or mouse) system and used Macrium Reflect Free Edition to backup the PQSERVICE partition to an image file. Also using Macrium Reflect, I chose to mount the image as a browseable partition on P:\. Looking through the partition, I located the Windows Image file:

P:\AcerBoot\SOURCES\BOOT.WIM

Using the ImageX utility from the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) I mounted this image file for browsing, and what I found is pictured below. We know Acer puts everything needed in the PQSERVICE partition, and this WIM file is where they've packaged everything needed to rebuild your factory disk image.

There's one more really good reason for backing up your hidden PQSERVICE partition: you can trace the entire disk image build process.

Have fun . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AcerBootWIM0.jpg   AcerBootWIM1.jpg   AcerBootWIM2.jpg   AcerBootWIM3.jpg  
    Last edited by KeithB; 12th October 2009 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Added NAPP7.EXE properties page :)

Notebook Deity

Those files are, what they say.... NAPP version 7.0 ..

In other words, they can not help old laptops , that needs lower versions of NAPP.
    ACER TM 2414 WLMi | P1.6M 725A (2128 MHz) | 1GB Ram | Blue Scorpio WD160GB | BT int Broadcom 2045 | PCMCIA card reader 5in1 EDUP | Panasonic UJ-870 | Belkin F8E353eaLRG

Links for you !! ACER Erecovery Basics Win XP. | Do it yourself: Blue tooth internal module | AS 3610 & TM 2414WLMi upgrades | Fresh Battery - Tips

Notebook Enthusiast

Actually, the NAPP program iteslf may work very well for older laptops. The \D2D\Images\*.SWM files Acer uses to assemble the system image are the items specific to each combination of laptop model, Windows operating system, and os release. These files are segments of a total .WIM image file which the ImageX utility appends together to create the first-run/out-of-box-experience (OOBE) bootable image. Including the correct hardware drivers package, this is how Acer's NAPP builds and restores the factory configuration to your system's hard disk drive.

Running the NAPP executable outside of this directory brings up the utility's GUI (it displays Packard Bell branding.) The initial step of this utility is to mount the existing disk partitions on drive letters like M: and N: for performing file manipulations. Then the overall actions are driven by *.DAT/*.INF files telling the utility what operations to perform like disk formatting, partition creation and naming, etc.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
    Actually, the NAPP program iteslf may work very well for older laptops.
    This your speculation ..

In praxis , this is not possible .

Your laptop are new .

If you had an old laptop , and try to install newer version of the windows Acer tools that activates recovery .... you will get a message of incompatible NAPP version .

The NAPP version of files stored on the hard drive , MUST BE 100% compatible with the ACER software running on windows .
    Or else there is no cooperation .
    In this story , you cannot run recovery or backup due windows.

If you think that you are smart .. ACER are smarter !
    ACER TM 2414 WLMi | P1.6M 725A (2128 MHz) | 1GB Ram | Blue Scorpio WD160GB | BT int Broadcom 2045 | PCMCIA card reader 5in1 EDUP | Panasonic UJ-870 | Belkin F8E353eaLRG

Links for you !! ACER Erecovery Basics Win XP. | Do it yourself: Blue tooth internal module | AS 3610 & TM 2414WLMi upgrades | Fresh Battery - Tips

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by kiriakost View Post
    This your speculation ..

In praxis , this is not possible .
    True, that is my optimistic speculation.

Attached are the the text files Flag.log and NAPP7.log from the root directory of the PQSERVICE partition. Fortunately, these files are clear text. Observe the Flag.log section header that says [NAPP6] even though the version of the NAPP program used is 7.x Also notice the NAPP7.log final line that says "NAPP6 Finished". The Flag.log file shows the control flags the NAPP program uses to apply features. The file NAPP7.log shows the program using Microsoft's Windows utilities Diskpart.exe, ImageX.exe (as a callable DLL library) and Bootrec.exe to partition, build, and make a bootable disk.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Notebook Enthusiast

Attached are other .DAT files from the PQSERVICE partition (renamed to .txt for attaching here) These files control and direct the NAPP utility operations. The file RESTORE.DAT was an empty, zero-length file and could not be attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Notebook Enthusiast

I located the file where they start the NAPP (New Acer Preload Process) program during the WinPE (Pre-Execution) process. In the \Windows\system32\ directory, there is a file named winpeshl.ini that tells the Windows PE shell program (winpeshl.exe) what to execute. It contains two lines:

[LaunchApp]
    AppPath = X:\RyTools\NAPP7.exe

Notebook Enthusiast

Courtesy of nabiy's 2/10/09 post on this blog page comes the proper imagex.exe command syntax for joining all of the SWM files Acer includes in the recovery partition:

imagex /ref *.swm /export POP01021P2EN3C21.SWM 1 acer.wim "Aspire Image"

This syntax merges the *.SWM files into a single large .WIM file which can be applied to a disk partition. Once applied, several additional "patch" command files and scripts are executed to finalize the clean, new "factory" image the user experiences when they first power on the computer.

can some help with the recovery process. I buy the recovery disk from Acer and use them. Now my computer get to the Acer launch and stalls at 4 out of 5 installs. I tried reinstalling and now it gets to 1 of 2 and just sits there saying thank you for using Acer. Everytime I restart my computer the Acer launch pops up and the only way to get it to go away is to launch Task Manger and close it.

Quote Originally Posted by kiriakost View Post
    Thats a common cure , and we have speak about it, about 1000 times .

For me , I will call it as a miracle , if some one post a download link of the MBRWRDOS.EXE

i have it, http://ulozto.cz/3040475/mbrwrdos.exe

it is from travelmate 2413wlmi