Quantcast Acer Hidden Recovery Partition - Page 33

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Default Re: Acer Hidden Recovery Partition

ok, got it fixed and vista working a little tired though almost 1 a.m here so i will post details tomorrow, thank you all for all your help, the only problem now is it keeps telling me usb device not recognized when i plug something into usb port, was doing this before the reload. any ideas on that? i will post more details next time.

Hi all, I do hope you can help!

I have a TravelMate 5520 which still has the recovery partition intact however I cannot boot from it (inc. Alt-F10), I have no other operating system on the laptop (a blank NTFS partition of 102gb)

I have tried running the MBRwrWin install with both rtmbr.bin and rtmbrold.bin to which nothing happens.

From what i can see the pqservice partition is an install of windows PE\RE, does anyone know if its possible to write a new boot BCD for it & if so what are the settings & does it leed to be located on the pqservice partition or the NTFS partition

Hello All,

I have been facing this problems lately and searching for resolution all around the web while I am on vacation, and is still working on it, but still not successfully.

To make it simple, I draft out again the problems I am facing.

My notebook is "Acer TravelMate 8215 WLMi", default system running on Windows XP Pro SP2, harddisk size 160GB (Actual 149.5GB), default partitions: "PQSERVICE - hidden", "ACER - C: Drive FAT32", and "ACERDATA - D: Drive FAT32".

Due to the free upgrade to Windows Vista promo event, I have tried upgraded to Windows Vista Business. However, realize that several of my existing softwares and applications not compatible with Vista yet. So, I still prefer using Windows XP. But during the upgrading of the Vista, my "PQSERVICE" hidden partition was been deleted as well, left with now one single partition 149.5GB.

I have called Acer Helpdesk for help, and they said there's no other way to recreate or restore the "PQSERVICE" hidden partition, back to factory default system by doing ourselves, and only way is to send in to their service center to repartition the default system image. Furthermore, there will be charges of around $80++, and is not immediate. (Poor Service)

I have tried searching the web, and initially my hope of by doing myself was highly motivated, but now getting tired and also need my system back to normal to do my work.

Now, I managed to recreate the "PQSERVICE" hidden partition, and do a recovery, but when recovery done, error prompted that "Burning X Image Size Error". However, at the Disk Management Console, it does show the "PQSERVICE" hidden partition as "EISA Configuration", but is empty, Free Space is 100%. I would like to list out the steps that I have done, but too confused on how to get that.

I would like to know any kind soul out there have the contents of the data stored inside the "PQSERVICE" hidden partition for TM8215?

Or, anybody have encountered my abovementioned problems, i.e. "PQSERVICE" hidden partition deleted, and need to recreate again. I have the Recovery DVD left only, did not do any special backup of the "PQSERVICE" hidden partition initially.

Any advise on this. Is it possible to just recreate with only 2 FAT32 partitions, C and D Drive without the "PQSERVICE" hidden partition?

Need you guys help.

Many Thanks.
    Last edited by ATG; 3rd April 2009 at 01:53 PM.

Hello All,

Due to time contrainst, I went down to Acer Service Center to reload the factory default o/s and partitions, and got charged for $50+.

On the Service Invoice, they (ACER) stated that:

Reported Symptoms:
    Q: 1083
    Line 1: Symptom Sub Code = SI03 - FAIL to SETUP OS.

Repair Actions:
    reloaded OS
    system able to boot to windows
    function test - ok
    Line 1: FRU Sub Code = SI03 - FAIL TO SETUP OS, Action Code = SE07 - RECOVERY SYSTEM

Immediate after the reloading completed, I burnt another copy of the Recovery DVD, and copied down all the important informations of my system, and backup the "PQSERVICE" hidden partition twice, to be safe.

I seek advise from that nice ACER technican, and he asked me to try use "Macrium Reflect" to backup the "PQSERVICE" hidden partition, but no guarantee, and did not wish to dispose much further.

There's 2 versions of "Macrium Reflect", Free and Full (paid) Edition. I tried the Free Edition, and excellence!

I would like to share with you guys with this great backup freeware "Macrium Reflect". You may download it at:
    http://www.macrium.com/ReflectFree.asp

Hope this help.

My posts with regards to the PQSERVICE problems:
    Default Partitions Size for Acer TravelMate 8215 WLMi
    http://www.notebookforums.com/thread225744.html

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by bjovi View Post
    I tried the Free Edition, and excellence!
    Only if you try to restore your image , and works .... you can promote the idea.

Basically i have use Acronis and it did worked .
    So its possible to restore it by software ... but joy comes only from the full tested methods .

If the hard drive dies , and you have left with the backup and no OS , there the adventure begins ... with out the proper software ... its possible to not be able to start any restoration.
    Last edited by kiriakost; 11th March 2009 at 08:58 PM.
    ACER TM 2414 WLMi | P1.6M 725A (2128 MHz) | 1GB Ram | Blue Scorpio WD160GB | BT int Broadcom 2045 | PCMCIA card reader 5in1 EDUP | Panasonic UJ-870 | Belkin F8E353eaLRG

Links for you !! ACER Erecovery Basics Win XP. | Do it yourself: Blue tooth internal module | AS 3610 & TM 2414WLMi upgrades | Fresh Battery - Tips

I have a Acer Travelmate 2480 and was having problems trying to install the Vista SP1. I now have learned that support for it is past and I can't update to SP2 when it comes out unless I have SP1. The microsoft forum suggested a in-place upgrade using the hidden recovery partition so I won't lose my installed programs. I can't backup because my notebook has only a cd burner and it would probably take 20 some cd to back it up.

How can I do the in-place upgrade? Is there any info on it? Thanks

I have the following problem:
    I am trying to restore the original MBR from the RTMBR.BIN file and when I type the command "mbrwrdos.exe install rtmbr.bin" although it says that everything was ok, it does NOT restore the mbr (if the mbr was previously wiped, after the command it is still wiped) ! I also tried with many other MBR tools and the same happens.

Does anybody know what am I doing wrong ?

Also I have another question: Is it possible to rebuild the PQSERVICE partition from the recovery dvds ?

Thanks in advance

Banned

Acer TravelMate 5320 (UK) Vista Home Premium

I installed XP over Vista Home Premium as the laptop ran ridiculously slow, I had tried to create recovery discs beforehand but they kept failing, and Acer want 50 for a set (Robbery!).

Well after installing XP it runs no better so I've decided to sell it before I bounce it, and want to return it to factory spec, thing is, the recovery partition is still present but Alt F10 doesn't acess it, anyone any ideas?

Failing that, can anyone provide me with recovery discs? Costs paid of course.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Sotos183 View Post
    I have the following problem:
    I am trying to restore the original MBR from the RTMBR.BIN file and when I type the command "mbrwrdos.exe install rtmbr.bin" although it says that everything was ok, it does NOT restore the mbr (if the mbr was previously wiped, after the command it is still wiped) ! I also tried with many other MBR tools and the same happens.

Does anybody know what am I doing wrong ?

Also I have another question: Is it possible to rebuild the PQSERVICE partition from the recovery dvds ?

Thanks in advance
    The HDD partitions must be in place with the proper names , so to have success.

And i would really like to have a copy of your "mbrwrdos.exe"
    If possible , please email me the file .
    Thanks.
    ACER TM 2414 WLMi | P1.6M 725A (2128 MHz) | 1GB Ram | Blue Scorpio WD160GB | BT int Broadcom 2045 | PCMCIA card reader 5in1 EDUP | Panasonic UJ-870 | Belkin F8E353eaLRG

Links for you !! ACER Erecovery Basics Win XP. | Do it yourself: Blue tooth internal module | AS 3610 & TM 2414WLMi upgrades | Fresh Battery - Tips

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by sparkybhoy View Post
    the recovery partition is still present but Alt F10 doesn't acess it, anyone any ideas?
    Read the first link on my signature , about MBR boot loaders.