Quantcast LCD Monitor that can double as a TV

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default LCD Monitor that can double as a TV

Hey, I don't know if this is possible but I am looking for an LCD monitor that can double as a TV or vice versa an LCD TV that can double as a monitor.

I was looking at the dell 20 inch widescreen monitor but I don't know if it can be used as a TV.

Thanks.
    Shamelessly plugging my own videos:

See me sing and dance here and here

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: LCD Monitor that can double as a TV

It would still need a TV-Tuner, but all the other features and connections are in place.
    My laptop:
    HP Envy 14 i5-450M, 4gb, Vertex 2 60gb HD, external esta 300gb 7.2k

What are the tradeoffs in using the same lcd monitor for TV viewing and computer use given the input ports aren't an issue?

I'm using a Dell 23" Lcd TV monitor as aTV and as a monitor for a backup computer. The limitations for computer use are fairly obvious in the limited
    resolution. It's still fairly useable as a computer monitor, but not something
    you'd want to look at text all day. Obviously great for TV viewing.

What I'm not clear on is the obverse ie: using a 20" or so computer monitor
    as a TV monitor. I'm using cable box as HDTV source so lack of tuner is not
    a problem. The box has a DVI output and I'm wondering what the result would
    be like on a monitor like the Gateway 2185. What's the downside of this kind of setup?

Notebook Evangelist

Personally, I love the idea, and I plan on getting a 24" or higher LCD monitor and simply plug in my receiver to the LCD instead of bothering with a TV tuner for my computer. I'd have a great monitor for computer use with a high resolution, and an LCD capable of HDTV resolutions. However, there would be a couple hindrances. One being that in order for this to work your cable box, sat. receiver, or whatever you're plugging in is going to have to have the same outputs as the monitor has inputs. This isn't really a downside, however, because the newer stuff has a DVI or component out (the Dell 2407FPW has component, the 2007FPW does not FYI).

The downside would basically be the opposite of the downside of using a TV as a computer monitor, and it's going to be the same downside as if you buy a really expensive 1080p HDTV. Unless you have a 1080i or 1080p signal, it's simply not going to look that great at that high resolution. The resolution of current DVDs is 720 × 480, and when that's stretched out onto a WUXGA LCD it isn't that clear. Those of you who have WUXGA screens and watch DVDs know it's not exactly optimal, and it's the same way if you have a 50" 1080p plasma TV and you watch DVDs, so it's not restricted to computer use, it's a restriction of the DVDs. If you watch something with a 720i or 720p signal it will be the same way, just not as bad. 720p has a resolution of 1280 x 720, so it will also be a little fuzzy when stretched over that many pixels. If you are fortunate enough to have an input of 1080i or 1080p then you can watch the signal on the 1920x1200 screen at a resolution of 1920x1080. This is optimal, because with small black bars you can watch the feed in the native resolution of the screen and it will look perfect.

The more I think about it, unless there is a downside to computer LCDs in comparison to LCD TVs (refresh rate?) there's really no reason not to go this route. It also enables you to use your computer as a DVD player or a DVD Recorder if you want, and saves money on an expensive TV and an expensive monitor.
    Dell Latitude E6220 | Intel Core i5 2520M | 8GB DDR3 | 128GB Crucial M4 SSD | Intel HD 3000 | 12.5" LCD
    Dell Latitude E6410 | Intel Core i5 540M | 4GB DDR3 | 250GB 7200RPM | NVS 310M | 14.1" LCD

Notebook Consultant

What do you mean by a TV? Most people don't have a need for a tuner anymore, digital TV doesn't really require one. There are monitors that have good resolution that have composite, component, VGA and DVI connections.

This would let you hook up any digital tv service, game consoles, DVD/VHS players

I.E.

http://accessories.gateway.com/Acces....htm?ref=merch

Notebook Enthusiast

Gateway FPD2185W
    Samsung 215TW
    Westinghouse 22W2

Those are all fabulous monitors with additional inputs for your composite, component, or S-Video signals. They're HD-ready, and the Samsung (which I will most likely be picking up for college) has an HDCP-compliant DVI-D input, meaning it'll work well with Vista. The Gateway's got a 4-port USB hub, as well. They feature PIP and a really fabulous picture, and are all priced around $500 right now. Look for them at Best Buy, Office Depot, or Froogle.

Just my $0.02.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by cerebrus
    What are the tradeoffs in using the same lcd monitor for TV viewing and computer use given the input ports aren't an issue?

I'm using a Dell 23" Lcd TV monitor as aTV and as a monitor for a backup computer. The limitations for computer use are fairly obvious in the limited
    resolution. It's still fairly useable as a computer monitor, but not something
    you'd want to look at text all day. Obviously great for TV viewing.

What I'm not clear on is the obverse ie: using a 20" or so computer monitor
    as a TV monitor. I'm using cable box as HDTV source so lack of tuner is not
    a problem. The box has a DVI output and I'm wondering what the result would
    be like on a monitor like the Gateway 2185. What's the downside of this kind of setup?
    If you're using an HD cable box and feeding the signal via DVI directly into your monitor than there is no difference from the reverse -- you'll get a great picture provided your monitor supports HD resolutions. The big question for you is -- does your cable box and the 2185 support 720p (1280x720)? Because at 1680x1050 max resolution you cannot get a 1920x1080 (1080i) signal, which is what many cable companies use for HD.
    Last edited by DrewN; 30th July 2006 at 09:40 AM.
    15" MacBook Pro with Retina display (mid 2012) | Intel Core i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz | Intel HD 4000 + Nvidia GT 650M | 16 GB DDR3L RAM @ 1600 MHz | 512 GB SSD | Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by mZimm
    Personally, I love the idea, and I plan on getting a 24" or higher LCD monitor and simply plug in my receiver to the LCD instead of bothering with a TV tuner for my computer. I'd have a great monitor for computer use with a high resolution, and an LCD capable of HDTV resolutions. However, there would be a couple hindrances. One being that in order for this to work your cable box, sat. receiver, or whatever you're plugging in is going to have to have the same outputs as the monitor has inputs. This isn't really a downside, however, because the newer stuff has a DVI or component out (the Dell 2407FPW has component, the 2007FPW does not FYI).

The downside would basically be the opposite of the downside of using a TV as a computer monitor, and it's going to be the same downside as if you buy a really expensive 1080p HDTV. Unless you have a 1080i or 1080p signal, it's simply not going to look that great at that high resolution. The resolution of current DVDs is 720 × 480, and when that's stretched out onto a WUXGA LCD it isn't that clear. Those of you who have WUXGA screens and watch DVDs know it's not exactly optimal, and it's the same way if you have a 50" 1080p plasma TV and you watch DVDs, so it's not restricted to computer use, it's a restriction of the DVDs. If you watch something with a 720i or 720p signal it will be the same way, just not as bad. 720p has a resolution of 1280 x 720, so it will also be a little fuzzy when stretched over that many pixels. If you are fortunate enough to have an input of 1080i or 1080p then you can watch the signal on the 1920x1200 screen at a resolution of 1920x1080. This is optimal, because with small black bars you can watch the feed in the native resolution of the screen and it will look perfect.

The more I think about it, unless there is a downside to computer LCDs in comparison to LCD TVs (refresh rate?) there's really no reason not to go this route. It also enables you to use your computer as a DVD player or a DVD Recorder if you want, and saves money on an expensive TV and an expensive monitor.

Listen to this gentleman, he speaks the truth
    15" MacBook Pro with Retina display (mid 2012) | Intel Core i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz | Intel HD 4000 + Nvidia GT 650M | 16 GB DDR3L RAM @ 1600 MHz | 512 GB SSD | Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion

Notebook Consultant

Hey guys, I just got this TV/PC monitor at Circuit City. I had a $75 gift card so that made it that much more attractive. It's great with the VGA cord and my DVD and Directv viewing is awesome too.

Here's another link from newegg. I'm gonna stick my gamecube in later and see just what I've been missing. I've seen mario on a regular CRT for nearly 20 years now. Bout time for an upgrade.
    Last edited by eclecticdoode; 30th July 2006 at 01:36 PM.
    Shamelessly plugging my own videos:

See me sing and dance here and here

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Rockmaninoff
    Gateway FPD2185W
    Samsung 215TW
    Westinghouse 22W2

Those are all fabulous monitors with additional inputs for your composite, component, or S-Video signals. They're HD-ready, and the Samsung (which I will most likely be picking up for college) has an HDCP-compliant DVI-D input, meaning it'll work well with Vista. The Gateway's got a 4-port USB hub, as well. They feature PIP and a really fabulous picture, and are all priced around $500 right now. Look for them at Best Buy, Office Depot, or Froogle.

Just my $0.02.
    This gateway is the same one I tested, wonderful monitor, just not one that I would have use for

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast