Quantcast What's the Best Notebook Cooler Pad?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default What's the Best Notebook Cooler Pad?

Do you guys have one? If so, what would you say would be the best for an E1505?

NBR Reviewer

Default Re: What's the Best Notebook Cooler Pad?

As far as cooler pads go, it all depends on the placement of the fans on the pad relative to the fan intakes on the laptop. The second thing to consider is whether the pad blows up or sucks air out from under the laptop, and how this is relative to the fan intake and exhaust.

As far as specific pads go, you'd probably do best to just search through some old threads to see who has what, what works, what doesn't, etc.

In the meanwhile, if you could just get some altoids tins, or 2 decks of cards and use them to lift up the back of the laptop, you get a nice angle and it should help somewhat to cool the laptop by allowing more circulation for the fans.

Another thing is I8kfangui, a freeware program specifically made for dells that allows you to control the fans fully, and monitor temperatures. I have the program set to blast my fan at max speed all the time. It's really a neat program that's really useful for Dell laptops. You can just google I8kfangui to download it. Hope this all helps.

Notebook Consultant

isn't it then quite noisy if it's at full blast all the time?

More news from nowhere

on my e1505 I find I get diminishing returns running the fans top speed all the time, on low all the time I average around 28c, on high, around 27c, letting dell handle it I was around 53c, I'd just set it to low and leave it

Banned

good info thanks. I didn't know you had to do so much thinking to by a pad

sav
    Notebook Consultant

Staples this week has a nice aluminum Antec coolpad on sale for 9.98 after rebates.

Notebook Enthusiast

Yeah, I saw that, and I believe I'm going to go pick that up right now.

NBR Lead Moderator

Lead Moderator for TechnologyGuide Communities
    Brighthand | NotebookReview | TabletPCReview
    hp EliteBook 8740w - 17" DreamColor 2, Win 7 Pro, Core i5-560M, 8GB RAM, ATI FirePro M7820, Intel 320 Series 120GB, Hitachi 5K1500, Intel 6300 WLAN

Zero Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Farkward
    isn't it then quite noisy if it's at full blast all the time?

my laptop with the hdd running, dvd running and fans full blast is alot more silent then a quite desktop.
    Main Rig: Sager 8298 4810MQ, GTX 880m, 256GB msata, 750GB and 1TB HDD, 16GB Ram 7 Pro
    SOLD: Alienware 14 - 4700QM, GTX 765M, 8GB RAM, FHD+ IPS, 256GB mSata + WD Scorpio Black 750GB 7 Ultimate
    Main server: Dell precision m4600 - 2860QM, firepro 5950, 16GB 1600mhz RAM 9-9-9-28, WLED FDH+, Intel 520 240GB mSata OS, Seagate hybrid 750GB storage.
    in limbo: Dell precision m4400 Debian squeeze
    Future Home Gym: Vostro 1700 WUXGA!
    In limbo: Thinkpad x200s

My Youtube Channel!

NBR Reviewer

My inspiron6000, with is right before the e1505 and has the same case isn't that loud with the fans on full blast. The laptop by itself will turn on the fans full blast when the cpu is under load, and if you've noticed it, that's how loud it will be except all the time. Usually, the background noise or my music drowns it out though, even if the music is relatively soft. Also, you can always just set the fan lower or not use the program, there are also profiles so that you can customize at what temperatures the fan comes on and off, it's all highly customizable.

Chaz's guide is excellent, it's always good to after a while get the junk out of the inside, and I'm about to try undervolting.

About the Antec cooler from Staples, does anyone know if it blows air up into the laptop?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast