Quantcast Operation: Save my burning legs

+ Reply to Thread
    Notebook Geek

Default Operation: Save my burning legs

Hey guys, this is concerning a Samsung laptop but I figured it'd fit better here because it's about a possible hardware change.

We all know that manufacturers stopped referring to them as laptops and instead as notebooks to try and encourage people not to, you know, use their computers on their laps. That doesn't mean people don't do it, and that's the problem I'm having

I've recently purchased a Samsung Series 9 900X3A-B06US and I have to use it on my lap a lot, to and from airports and on my commute to work (one and a half hours). This is a problem: as hardwarecanucks.com puts it, "the underside sees temperatures that are best reserved for hot asphalt rather than a notebook. We can’t put this more delicately: when its processor is pushed, the Series 9 can become a dangerously hot nut roaster. "

It's driving me mental. The cooling system is all working fine - the CPU temperatures rarely get above 52 degrees and the fan spins up when needed - but sooo much heat goes to the bottom tray of the laptop, which is made of relatively thin powder-coated aluminium.

My Question: Is there any kind of lining I can put in the case to save my legs? Some kind of foam or anything really. It's really uncomfortable to do work on and if I can't cool it down I'm going to have to return it. The fan doesn't change the underside temperature no matter how fast it goes and I can't be carrying around a notebook lap stand on planes and on the train.

If anyone could help that'd be great, I'm at my wit's end.

Thanks,

Jonny

Edit: I should also add that my use-case in these scenarios is not pushing the processor very much and the system's cooling otherwise seems to work well. I'm only word processing or doing light powerpoint and, as stated, the CPU temps rarely get above 52 degrees.

Sacred Blame

Default Re: Operation: Save my burning legs

Sounds like all you need is a lap desk.

Something like this: Amazon.com: LapGear Traveler LapDesk: Electronics, there are better ones, i just linked the first one i found.
    Current: Precision M6700¦3720qm¦2x240GB SSD + 256GB mSATA¦32GB DDR3 1600MHz¦Firepro M6000
    Previous: Asus G73Jh-A2¦920xm¦160GB G3 + 7K750¦Chastity vBios¦ICD7 + 0.5mm pads¦Intel 6300
    Secondary: Elitebook 2760p¦2410m¦250GB SSD¦8 GB DDR3¦HD 3000

Notebook Deity

without going into too much detail... what you're looking for is dead air space.

this is the "trapped" air that acts as insulation barrier between heat source and exterior.

same reason why down jackets are so warm... it keeps body heat in.

for your lap.

1) ridiculous option: make a boxer short out of bubble wrap
    2) reasonable option: try a section of bubble wrap, sandwich it between 2 harder surface and make like a stiff surface so your laptop vent is not covered up and use it as backing
    3) try thicker foam board

or get the lap gear lap desk.
    Precision M6700 Covet Intel Core i7-3740QM, 32GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM, nVidia Quadro K4000M 4GB DDR5, 17.3" Ultrasharp IPS RGB Glossy
    Precision M6400 Intel Core 2 Quad Q9100, 8GB RAM, 17" WUXGA 1920 x 1200 Glossy, Nvidia Quadro FX 3700

I R Judgemental

What you need is one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXAJrchOtac

Notebook Consultant

Get a lapinator. Its got 3m thinsulate on the bottom so it will help quite a bit. I might also suggest picking up an hp dm1z or something amd fusion powered so that it isn't anywhere near as hot... I also do a lot of hard work on my chromebook and I get well over 5 hours of screen on work time, so this is also an option

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    If you are asking "which notebook should I buy?", Please use the NBR Form Wizard to create your post so that we can help as quickly as possible

XOTIC PC - SAGER NP9150 SPECIAL EDITION
    | 15.6" FHD Matte Type 95% Color Gamut Screen | Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM | nVIDIA® GeForce GTX 680M | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz | 480GB Samsung 840 SSD | Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1202 + Bluetooth™ 4.0 | 6x Blu-ray Reader Drive

Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

quick fix, just get a tea tray.

John.
    DON`T BLAME ME IF YOUR NOTEBOOK BLOWS UP WHILE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE, IT`S PURELY VOLUNTARY

HP Envy Rove 20-k000ea 20 inch Mobile AIO desktop PC - Plextor M5 Pro Extreme 512GB SSD SLC Enterprise Grade

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Tinderbox (UK) View Post
    quick fix, just get a tea tray.

John.
    Or a cutting board. One of those thin fiber glass ones.

KLF
    NBR Super Modernator

With my experiences on Logitech N700 I dare to recommend Logitech N500 too.

N700's fan works with my 2530p and temps are significantly cooler. With 8510w fan doesn't position itself as well but that lapdesk still works as nut cooler The air flow does make the difference on the user as well. Cushion material is also such that it won't make skin sweaty underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by jrwingate6 View Post
    Or a cutting board. One of those thin fiber glass ones.
    Eventually boards warm up too, altough it takes longer time. Tried that
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack scouts on fire off the shoulder of Well6. I watched sentryguns glitter in the dark near the 2fort4 gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

or get a laptop cooler. I got one from bestbuy a year ago and my crotch has never been better