Quantcast Why should I get a wireless mouse and keyboard?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Guru

Default Why should I get a wireless mouse and keyboard?

I'll be getting a new laptop soon, and I plan to get at least a mouse for it. But I don't know if the wireless ones are worth the extra cash. I am also considering whether to get a keyboard.

Is there any reason for me to go wireless? Is there any reason for me to get a seperate keyboard?

Thanks for any input in advance. I'm currently looking at the Logitech M505 Wireless Mouse and the Logitech K800 Wireless Illuminated Keyboard, both of them are using the Unifying Receiver.
    Dell XPS 15 L502X: Intel Core i7-2630QM | 6GB 1333MHz RAM | GeForce Nvidia GT 540M | 15.6" FHD 1920x1080 B+RGLED display | 500GB 7200RPM HDD | Windows 7 Home Premium | Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 | Backlit chiclet keyboard | 9 cell battery | 8x Tray Load DVD Burner

Custom User Title

Default Re: Why should I get a wireless mouse and keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by SKisaGooner View Post
    I'll be getting a new laptop soon, and I plan to get at least a mouse for it. But I don't know if the wireless ones are worth the extra cash. I am also considering whether to get a keyboard.

Is there any reason for me to go wireless? Is there any reason for me to get a seperate keyboard?

Thanks for any input in advance. I'm currently looking at the Logitech M505 Wireless Mouse and the Logitech K800 Wireless Illuminated Keyboard, both of them are using the Unifying Receiver.
    A portable cordless mouse is a useful notebook accessory, of course. A Blue Tooth mouse (MS 5000) would free up a USB port, if you have Blue Tooth... although they are harder to find. Shop for OEM versions to save a few bucks. Notebook mice tend to be smaller, less ergonomic.

I would only add the keyboard if you need it. Illuminated is good. Unified cordless is good, but beware battery life with an illuminated cordless keyboard. The Logitech Illuminated Keyboard is very nice and not cordless... so not as convenient for a notebook.

GK

06/10 Dell Latitude E6410 Core i7-620M nVidia Quadro NVS 3100M w/Express Card Win7 x64 reimage
    12/08 Dell Latitude E6400 Core 2 Duo P9500 nVidia Quadro NVS 160M w/Express Card Win7 x64 reimage WinVista x64 reimage
    This forum looks better and displays faster in vBulletin Default Style!

Notebook Virtuoso

Quick answer: If you cannot answer those questions for yourself, don't buy those accessories. You can always buy them at a later date if you need them.

There are very specific situations where wireless mice / keyboards are useful. There are also drawbacks to using wireless accessories, mostly around managing battery life... so be aware, that wireless isn't an "upgrade" from wired.

As for your mouse - what will you be doing with your mouse, and what is your budget for mice?
    Laptop Madness (w/unboxing pics): | 17 Second Boot - POST to Desktop | SSD Boots Windows 7 + Load 27 Apps in 1 Minute | SSD vs HDD Direct Comparison - Identical Drive Images
    Lenovo Y500 | Core i7-3630M | 16GB RAM | 256GB mSATA SSD + 1TB HDD | 2x GeForce 650M GPU (SLI) | 15.6" 1920x1080 Display | Etymotic ER-4P Headphones | 5.95lbs

Notebook Consultant

Well simply put, why would you need one is the question you should be asking. Do you need larger keys or dedicated numpads or you don't like touchpads?

If you do need the mouse then i'd always go wireless unless my needs dictate that i have to get wired (super high DPI/Refresh rate) - cables just get all tangled up and it's a big mess in there.

Notebook Guru

Because I don't want to spend on a wired mouse, and then decide to go wireless.

Yes I could use the numpad, but I guess that's not a good enough reason to get a seperate keyboard, is it?
    Dell XPS 15 L502X: Intel Core i7-2630QM | 6GB 1333MHz RAM | GeForce Nvidia GT 540M | 15.6" FHD 1920x1080 B+RGLED display | 500GB 7200RPM HDD | Windows 7 Home Premium | Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 | Backlit chiclet keyboard | 9 cell battery | 8x Tray Load DVD Burner

Custom Title! WooHoooo !!

Yes I could use the numpad, but I guess that's not a good enough reason to get a seperate keyboard, is it?
    errr you're answering your own question ? hehee..

for me:

- comfort
    - portability (sometimes I hook to TV and just take the mouse/kb to couch)
    - freedom ! no more tangles yeah
    - now it's become a habit -- can never go back to cables
    - lifestyle
    dell Panda 1400: T5270 T7250 T7700 T8100 T9300 (LOL)/4GB/GMA X3100
    /WD3200BEKT + WD1200BEVS/3945ABG 5300N/added dell 355BT/added Sierra MC8781
    /added camera+inspiron1420 front bezel/DVD-Combo DVD-RW DL/winXP + Win7 x64/G700 + QCK/Backbeat 903+
    Vostro 1400 DIY Internal USB Hub (dongle-less AnywhereMX beats BT mice anytime )

Notebook Virtuoso

Ok. Fair enough. That is a very valid point.

Follow-up question: So, why do you want a wireless mouse?

Can you specifically point to a reason why you want wireless?

Or is it more of a "Hey, Wireless is just as good as wired, but better, because it's wireless! So I might as well just get one, in case I change my mind and don't like wired mice somewhere down the road!"
    Laptop Madness (w/unboxing pics): | 17 Second Boot - POST to Desktop | SSD Boots Windows 7 + Load 27 Apps in 1 Minute | SSD vs HDD Direct Comparison - Identical Drive Images
    Lenovo Y500 | Core i7-3630M | 16GB RAM | 256GB mSATA SSD + 1TB HDD | 2x GeForce 650M GPU (SLI) | 15.6" 1920x1080 Display | Etymotic ER-4P Headphones | 5.95lbs

Custom User Title

Quote Originally Posted by kent1146 View Post
    Ok. Fair enough. That is a very valid point.

Follow-up question: So, why do you want a wireless mouse?

Can you specifically point to a reason why you want wireless?

Or is it more of a "Hey, Wireless is just as good as wired, but better, because it's wireless! So I might as well just get one, in case I change my mind and don't like wired mice somewhere down the road!"
    Why buy a wire you don't need?

o It clutters your desktop.
    o It complicates your use of a notebook in a mobile situation.
    o It drags on the mouse.
    o It makes switching hands to relieve corpal tunnel stress more cumbersome.
    o It is vulnerable to being chewed by a stupid cat.

Cordless mice work great and the batteries last a year or more... what's not to like?

GK

06/10 Dell Latitude E6410 Core i7-620M nVidia Quadro NVS 3100M w/Express Card Win7 x64 reimage
    12/08 Dell Latitude E6400 Core 2 Duo P9500 nVidia Quadro NVS 160M w/Express Card Win7 x64 reimage WinVista x64 reimage
    This forum looks better and displays faster in vBulletin Default Style!

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by GKDesigns View Post
    Why buy a wire you don't need?
    Cordless mice work great and the batteries last a year or more... what's not to like?
    I agree that wireless mice are great, and work great. But they are not just-like-wired-mice-but-better-because-they-are-wireless. There are some drawbacks to wireless mice.

(1) Battery life management. Not all wireless mice have batteries that last a year or more. Some wireless gaming mice, in particular, have batteries that last only a few days, and require you to deal with that short battery life.

(2) Battery Management. Some mice require you to swap batteries when they die. Other mice have a rechargeable battery mechanism, rather than requiring you to replace the battery. Sometimes that recharging mechanism is as simple as a USB cable. Other times, you need to carry around a bulky recharging station around.

(3) Expense. Wireless mice are more expensive than their wired counterparts that deliver the same performance.

(4) Selection. There are many more wired mice available to choose from than wireless mice. That means more selection of shapes, features, weight, and price.

(5) Interference. Wireless mice, like all wireless devices, are subject to interference. This is especially the case if you operate around 2.4Ghz cordless telephones, or work near microwave ovens.

Wireless mice are fantastic. And wireless mice work great in the right situations. But they do have their drawbacks, so it wouldn't be helping someone to just blindly say "Yes, get a wireless mouse! They are awesome!" or "No, don't buy a wireless mouse! They are terrible!" It's more important to ask the person what their needs / wants are out of a mouse, and help them figure out whether a wired / wireless mouse is right for them.

HRK
    Notebook Consultant

As for the question about a separate keyboard, that depends on your setup. I use it as my laptop is hooked up to an external monitor.

ASUS G60VX: T9900 | 4GB RAM | GTX260M | OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | WD Scorpio Black 320GB | Pioneer BDR-205 FW 1.11 w/VANTEC NST-530SU External Enclosure via eSATA | ASUS MS238H 1920x1080 via HDMI | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX + Keyboard K340

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast