Quantcast New Headphones (studio monitors)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    18

    Default New Headphones (studio monitors)

    While getting a little too over-amped during a football game today, I accidentally sat on & broke my longtime headphones - Sony MDR-V150's which I loved.

    That puts me in the market again. I've thought on & off about getting a headset.....but with Left 4 Dead being the only game I play online anymore (almost exclusively in coop mode on pub servers), that didn't seem to make sense.

    What I'm looking for is a pair of over-the-ear 'studio monitor' style headphones, under $100 - for gaming, music & movies.

    I do some webcasting work for my church and have used a pair of Sony MDR-V6's on occasion & consider them a benchmark in this category. The one thing that makes me hesitate though is the proliferation of much cheaper models, like Sony's own MDR-XD200, Koss' UR-40 and Sennheiser's HD 202.

    So as a user interested in all-around sound with some detail thrown in, would I be better served by going with something more expensive (like the MDR-V6) or would it actually be possible to achieve similar results with something cheaper (like the MDR-XD200) ??
    Desktop: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz / 6GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Vista Home Premium (x64) / EVGA 1GB GTX 285 SC

    Laptop:
    13" MBP (Mid 2009) / Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz) / Snow Leopard

  2. #2
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    435
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: New Headphones (studio monitors)

    Not to be rude, but the MDR-V150 isn't that hot. I have one, and used to think it was pretty good as well, but once you starting comparing them to real good headphones, the difference is pretty substantial.

    If you like open headphones, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700s are amazing, with great detail and an unbelievable soundstage for the price. AD900, K701 are great as well. If you prefer something more bassy and closed, check out the M50 or D2000.

  3. #3
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: New Headphones (studio monitors)

    Quote Originally Posted by a4500435 View Post
    Not to be rude, but the MDR-V150 isn't that hot. I have one, and used to think it was pretty good as well, but once you starting comparing them to real good headphones, the difference is pretty substantial.

    If you like open headphones, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700s are amazing, with great detail and an unbelievable soundstage for the price. AD900, K701 are great as well. If you prefer something more bassy and closed, check out the M50 or D2000.
    No problem there, I should've prolly put 'cheapie' or something similar in front when describing them. Thanks for the recommendations though!
    Desktop: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz / 6GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Vista Home Premium (x64) / EVGA 1GB GTX 285 SC

    Laptop:
    13" MBP (Mid 2009) / Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz) / Snow Leopard

  4. #4
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    435
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: New Headphones (studio monitors)

    No problem. Here's a great site you can check for opinions:

    Head-Fi.org - Headphone forums and reviews for audiophiles

    The only brands I absolutely would steer clear of are Bose and Dr. Dre Beats, and some of the lower-end Sennheisers.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Say the bells of St. Clement's.
    Posts
    2,303
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: New Headphones (studio monitors)

    I love my audio-technica ATH-M50's.

    Quote Originally Posted by a4500435 View Post
    The only brands I absolutely would steer clear of are Bose and Dr. Dre Beats, and some of the lower-end Sennheisers.


  6. #6
    404
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,436
    Rep Power
    26

    Default Re: New Headphones (studio monitors)

    Quote Originally Posted by Trottel View Post

    The only brands I absolutely would steer clear of are Bose and Dr. Dre Beats, and some of the lower-end Sennheisers.

    Fixed it for you.
    i7-3930K│Asus P9X79│16GB DDR3 1866Mhz 9-10-9-27│EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked Signature│Crucial M4 128GB│Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB│Silverstone FT02│2x Dell U2711│Windows 7 Ultimate
    Macbook Pro 13│Intel Core i7-2640M│8GB DDR3│Intel HD 3000│Crucial M4 256GB│OS X 10.7

  7. #7
    Master Viking
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Huge Tracts of Land
    Posts
    16,762
    Rep Power
    95

    Default Re: New Headphones (studio monitors)

    Quote Originally Posted by a4500435 View Post
    Not to be rude, but the MDR-V150 isn't that hot. I have one, and used to think it was pretty good as well, but once you starting comparing them to real good headphones, the difference is pretty substantial.

    If you like open headphones, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700s are amazing, with great detail and an unbelievable soundstage for the price. AD900, K701 are great as well. If you prefer something more bassy and closed, check out the M50 or D2000.
    Recommendations pretty in sync with what I have and or plan to get.

    I have the A700's for all around use, I have the AD700 for low bass use, and plan to get some D2000 for the heavy bass use.

    There is a lot more to it than that, but its just a generalization.

  8. #8
    Master Viking
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Huge Tracts of Land
    Posts
    16,762
    Rep Power
    95

    Default Re: New Headphones (studio monitors)

    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz85 View Post
    No problem there, I should've prolly put 'cheapie' or something similar in front when describing them. Thanks for the recommendations though!
    You can find the A700 & AD700 under $100

    AD700
    AD700
    A700
    A700

    The low impedance lets them easily run directly from the computer with no amp, though if your using a laptop a DAC/AMP makes them sound so much better.

    If your using a desktop, you will be ok with any good quality dedicated sound card.

  9. #9
    wat
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    7,961
    Rep Power
    47

    Default Re: New Headphones (studio monitors)

    I'm quite fond of my JVC HA-RX900. I got mine on Amazon for around $60, and they sound great, especially now that I've burned them in. The folks at Head-fi told me they sound similar to headphones that cost significantly more, and are a great value...I'm no audio expert, but so far I can't disagree with them on this recommendation.
    Machine:
    [ i5-2500k @ 4.0GHz | MSI P67A-G43 | Cooler Master V8 | Corsair TX750 V2 750W | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 1600MHz | Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 | ASUS GTX 580 DirectCU II triple-slot 1536MB | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 ]
    Periphs:
    [ Hannspree SL231 23-inch 1920x1080 LED | Razer Mamba + Goliathus Alpha extra-large Speed Edition | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate (Cherry MX Blue) | Belkin n52te | Razer Carcharias ]

  10. #10
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: New Headphones (studio monitors)

    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousXUSMC View Post
    You can find the A700 & AD700 under $100

    AD700
    AD700
    A700
    A700

    The low impedance lets them easily run directly from the computer with no amp, though if your using a laptop a DAC/AMP makes them sound so much better.

    If your using a desktop, you will be ok with any good quality dedicated sound card.
    Thanks. Will primarily be using this with my desktop (my sound card is an HD Omega Stryker), though will be using this occasionally with my MBP when I'm out & about.

    @ a4500435 - really like the link you posted.....over on those forums, the Koss Pro DJ100 and UR55 are coming up pretty favorable. Here's a thread where both are compared up against the M50.....

    Koss Pro DJ100 and UR55 impressions vs M50


    Quote Originally Posted by Mastershroom View Post
    I'm quite fond of my JVC HA-RX900. I got mine on Amazon for around $60, and they sound great, especially now that I've burned them in. The folks at Head-fi told me they sound similar to headphones that cost significantly more, and are a great value...I'm no audio expert, but so far I can't disagree with them on this recommendation.
    I've been looking at these too, very intriguing.
    Desktop: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz / 6GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Vista Home Premium (x64) / EVGA 1GB GTX 285 SC

    Laptop:
    13" MBP (Mid 2009) / Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz) / Snow Leopard

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:47 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1