Quantcast External Hard Drive Suddenly Becomes Slow :( -Help Needed - Page 5

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: External Hard Drive Suddenly Becomes Slow :( -Help Needed

Upon doing back-up, I encouter IO error :'( it said that I can't access my hard drive due to this error. When I unplug my external HD, it always asks for scan ad fix file problems (recommended) and continue w/o scanning.n Although it took some time, I chose the scan and fix problems and finished it. WHen I started copying files and folders again to back-up my external HD, it was still very slow; plus, on the verge of completing a file transfer, I encounter the IO error again Is there any software you can refer or I can download to fix this problem? Is there still a solution to remedy my external HD's case? I have like 200GB of important files and documents there. I really need help on this guys :'( Thanks a lot...

"God, Gold, Glory!"

ASUS EEE PC 4G 1.0.2.15~Linux Xandros OS~Intel(R) Mobile Processor, 512 RAM
    Asus K42J-VX130~Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit~Intel Core i5-450M w/ Turbo Boost Technology (2.27GHz)~320GB 5400RPM WD
    6GB DDR3 1333MHz~nVidia GeForce 310M Cuda 1GB VRAM w/ Optimus Technology

Notebook Evangelist

I guess I couldn't do anything anymore with the IO device error popping out every time I copy from my external HD to my notebook to back-up my files. I was able to salvage a fair few and lost the others in the process. What I did, I just reformatted my external HD (Buffalo). Now, it's all good like brand new, but all the features of Buffalo (i.e. turbo speed file transfer, back-up recovery installer, etc.) were all deleted upon reformat. Does this really happen? I mean, do all external HDs like WD, Seagate, Samsung have also some sort of programmes pre-installed inside upon purchase and get deleted upon reformat? Thanks, guys

"God, Gold, Glory!"

Asus K42J-VX130~Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit~Intel Core i5-450M w/ Turbo Boost Technology (2.27GHz)~320GB 5400RPM WD

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by comrade_commissar7 View Post
    I guess I couldn't do anything anymore with the IO device error popping out every time I copy from my external HD to my notebook to back-up my files. I was able to salvage a fair few and lost the others in the process. What I did, I just reformatted my external HD (Buffalo). Now, it's all good like brand new, but all the features of Buffalo (i.e. turbo speed file transfer, back-up recovery installer, etc.) were all deleted upon reformat. Does this really happen? I mean, do all external HDs like WD, Seagate, Samsung have also some sort of programmes pre-installed inside upon purchase and get deleted upon reformat? Thanks, guys
    Yes - because any program is just data on the HDD.

Check the manufacturer's site for an update?
    Alternatively - do you really need them? I've not used the software that came either with my WD Passport or the FreeAgent Go - got them both though stashed away the installer

Notebook Virtuoso

That software would have been hidden on the HDD, to back it up you would just need to unhide it, copy it and then put it back after the reformat. Not all HDD similar to the Bufalo have it. I tend to steer clear of all of that sort of stuff though.
    P170HM | 17.3" 1080p Glossy NTSC 90% | i7-2630QM | GTX 680M | 8GB DDR3 RAM | Crucial M4 512GB | 750GB WD | Intel 6230+BT |

W110ER | 11.6" 1366x768 Glossy | i7-3610QM | GT 650M | 8GB DDR3 RAM | Momentus XT 750GB | Intel N130 |

My GTX 680M modified infs and guide

Notebook Evangelist

Hidden? So you mean I'll try viewing the hidden files and folders before going to the Buffalo site and have my external hdd updated? Btw, what external hdd brand could you recommend? From what happened, I guess I won't be buying any Buffalo products anymore...

"God, Gold, Glory!"

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by comrade_commissar7 View Post
    Hidden? So you mean I'll try viewing the hidden files and folders before going to the Buffalo site and have my external hdd updated? Btw, what external hdd brand could you recommend? From what happened, I guess I won't be buying any Buffalo products anymore...
    No, I mean if you get one of those drives new, you can usually copy over those special hidden files as a backup before you do anything, but since you formatted the drive already they are of course gone. I don't know if you can get another copy from their homepage or not.

The external HDD's I use are the basic 500GB 2.5 Laptop internal HDD's such as Western Digital, Samsung or Seagate installed into an external case although I have had no issues with my 2.5 LG and my Freecom one. I did have problems with my Buffalo one but that was mostly caused by the electronics inside of the case as opposed to the actual hard drive.
    P170HM | 17.3" 1080p Glossy NTSC 90% | i7-2630QM | GTX 680M | 8GB DDR3 RAM | Crucial M4 512GB | 750GB WD | Intel 6230+BT |

W110ER | 11.6" 1366x768 Glossy | i7-3610QM | GT 650M | 8GB DDR3 RAM | Momentus XT 750GB | Intel N130 |

My GTX 680M modified infs and guide

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by LaptopNut View Post
    No, I mean if you get one of those drives new, you can usually copy over those special hidden files as a backup before you do anything, but since you formatted the drive already they are of course gone. I don't know if you can get another copy from their homepage or not.

The external HDD's I use are the basic 500GB 2.5 Laptop internal HDD's such as Western Digital, Samsung or Seagate installed into an external case although I have had no issues with my 2.5 LG and my Freecom one. I did have problems with my Buffalo one but that was mostly caused by the electronics inside of the case as opposed to the actual hard drive.
    -why is that Buffalo seems to always have some problems? I bought a Buffalo wifi port but there are no problems so far...

"God, Gold, Glory!"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345