Quantcast Docking Station/Port Replicator for the XPS m1330

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default Docking Station/Port Replicator for the XPS m1330

Hi Fellow Forum Members,

As I await my XPS m1330, I was looking into buying a few accessories, which I know will be a necessity since I use my laptop at work, home, and on the go. I am thus looking for a good dock/port replicator (similar to the D-Dock used on Dell's D series notebooks). My main requirement is that all my peripherals and power would need to connect to the dock, and I can just undock my xps and take it on the go. I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

booji

NBR Super Moderator

Default Re: Docking Station/Port Replicator for the XPS m1330

There is no dock available that can provide power. There will never be, since there is no actual docking connector on the laptop.

Something like a Kensington or Belkin ExpressCard dock can do everything EXCEPT for power supply.
    Desktop   15" Macbook Pro Retina
    W7 Ultimate, Core i7 4770k, Crucial M500 240GB SSD   
    16GB RAM, GTX 780, 3x Dell U2412M Surround
       Mavericks, Core i7 4750HQ, 8GB RAM
       256GB SSD, 32GB iPad Air

Notebook Deity

Hi Greg,

Thank you for the quick reply. Do you have a link to any of the items that you mentioned?

beep beep

I would just get a USB port expander, and plug in AC power and HDMI video separately.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by swarmer View Post
    I would just get a USB port expander, and plug in AC power and HDMI video separately.
    That probably looks like what I would have to do. I really enjoyed just having to undock my Dell D series notebooks and its a pity that they didnt integrate the dock connector into the XPS line. In any case, do you guys have any suggestions for the USB port replicators??

Notebook Consultant

I was issued this http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=265 along with a Latitude D620 at work.

Notebook Prophet

You should have gotten a latitude then. They all have docking stations...They are business machines after all.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by nizzy1115 View Post
    You should have gotten a latitude then. They all have docking stations...They are business machines after all.
    I have had enough with the D-series and wanted something a little more stylish and powerful. Everything in life comes at a cost doesnt it.... I have no problem using a port replicator as this will get everything I need accomplished, except for the power.

Thanks everyone!

Please review this link for the only “Docking Station” available from Dell to support your XPS M1330 laptop.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A1163849

However, it has terrible customer reviews.

Notebook Consultant

It would probably be cheaper to just buy a USB hub and plug in the VGA or DVI for your monitor and the power cable. I do this and its to too bad, I have a USB mouse, keyboard, external HDD, Zune sync cable, and laptop cooler coming from my usb hub. I plug in one USB cable, ethernet cable, and power cable (sometimes VGA depending on what I'm doing). Its not hard, and was about 10% of the price of a comparable docking station.

The only qualm I have is that the USB transfer speed is limited to about 16mb/s, where I'd normally get about 22-23 when transferring files to my external. I'll just plug the external straight into the computer when I need to transfer a lot of files, though (which is very rarely).
    4 GB DDR2 Memory - 500gb Scorpio HDD - HP Pavilion dv2500t - Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 - nVidia 8400M GS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast