Quantcast -Cooler Master Notepal Infinite∞ Review- Lots of pics:D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast
    Forum Moderator

Default -Cooler Master Notepal Infinite∞ Review- Lots of pics:D

By Johnny Tse (tse727)

Cooler Master Notepal Infinite Review

Reasons for buying:
    Absolutely none! I saw the Infinite at a computer convention in Hong Kong and also saw the amazing special price ($24USD, $185HKD, £12 GBP). So... I bought it! I had a ordinary NotePal before this.

Specifications and a few pics:

Material Aluminum and plastic
    Dimension (W / H / D) 380x300x10~50 mm
    Fan Dimension (W / H / D) 90mmx90mmx25mm
    Fan Speed High, Middle, Low
    Bearing Type Rifle bearing
    Fan Life Expectancy 50,000 hours
    Fan Noise Level (dB-A) 15~20.5dBA
    USB Port USB2.0/1.1 x2
    Power USB 5VDC
    Weight 700g
    Connector USB2.0/1.1 (Max current:300mA)
    Compatibility Supports all 12”-16” notebook as well as 17”
    Operation degree 8.5 degree

Bird's eye view

Front

USB power connector, extra USB port and Fan speed control

On/Off button

Inside

Build & Packaging
    As mentioned above I had the original NotePal (also by Cooler Master). The NP is made from aluminium which meant it was very well build and strong (see the NP W1 review for more details my NP was the 2 fan version).
    The Infinite is made mostly from plastic except for the mental mesh. There is a certain amount of flex on the mesh itself, I wouldn't recomment putting a heavy weight on it. Notebook is fine just don't try to stand on it, or whatever floats your boat. There are minimal amount of flex on the outer plastic shell.

Out of the box the is held in place and protected by 2 foam blocks similar to the ones used in laptop packaging. A 50cm cable is provided for powering the . Also a user guide which included basic instructions and warranty info is also provided, and in 17 languages.

Features

''NotePal Infinite ∞, the latest achievement in the NotePal series, as the first notebook cooler with a truly comprehensive cooling mechanism in the market: increases the cooling area by 150%, thus managing to cool down multiple heat sources at once.
    It perfectly meets the need of those notebook users who require the ultimate thermal solution to be able to enjoy a stable yet comfortable environment. Additionally, its uniquely designed air intake at the rear side allows convenient usage anywhere, on the sofa or in bed, without blocking airflow.''

Thats what they all say...

Cooling area is increased by 150% really means that the cooler can actually cool the majority of the notebook rather than 2 or 3 spots when compared to the older models by CM.

One problem with my old NP is that I can't really use it on my lap or on a couch because the air intake is from the bottom, and so killing the point of ''laptop''. on the other hand the 's bottom is not open, and the air intake is from the back of the cooler as shown a picture above, and so I can now use it on my lap !

The CM website also claims that it can cool you notebook up to a amzing 17C. NO would be the answer to that, unless you used your notebook on a bed where all air intakes are blocked.

The 8.5 degree tilt is very nice to type on, the amount of tilt is also similar to the NP. The 4 ''anti-slip'' rubber strips works very well in holding my notebook in place. The old NP is curved at the front to stop your notebook from slipping, which brought another problem. As mention in the NP W1 review it has some very sharp edges which is dangerous to you as well as to the aesthetics of your notebook.

As you can see from the picture my notebook is scratched because my notebook was slightly wider than the NP and so whilst moving it it was scratched. Since the does not hold the notebook in place using the front ''curve'' this is not a problem.

The fan speed could be adjusted which reviously can't be done on the NP. It is helpful for cound management (differences mentioned below is next part). The fan speeds are High~2000rpm, Mid~1500rpm, and Low~1000rpm.

Since the is larger than the NP and also my notebook, my notebok now actually fits on the cooler. The cable management hooks were mentioned as a feature on the website. I found them of no use what so ever, but it might come into use for some of you.

Size comparision

Sound

The noise levels are claimed to be 15~20.5dBA compared to the NP's 21dBA. But the noise level when the fan speed is set to high is very noticeable, without any background noises (ie. music) the fan noise could get annoying. on the other hand when the fan speed is set to low the noise is almost inaudible which surprised me. At medium speed th fan is audible, and is slightly louder than the NP.

Test - Old V New (CPU & HDD temp.)

Room temperature was 24C as shown by my AC remote

Temperatures and monitored using Notebook Hardware Control and HD tune.

Stress test and HD bench mark is done by CPU Stability Test 6.0 and HD Tune.

HDD temps (Hitachi Travelstar 80GB 7200rpm)

Idle with -
    = 30C
    NP = 33C
    No cooler = 33C

Clearly the HDD is cooler with the . But with the NP the temp is same as without any cooler, I think this is because the fan is located is the upper half of the NP, but the HDD is in the bottom right corner of my notebook and so the NP does cool it effectively. But in the bench mark the temp difference is minimal, as shown below.

HDD temp after HD Tune bench mark with -
    = 36C
    NP = 37C
    No cooler = 37C

CPU idle & test

Idle with -
    Max fan spd = 38C
    Mid & Min spd = 42C
    NP = 42C
    No cooler = 45C

Stress test with -
    Max fan spd = 58C
    Mid & Min spd = 61C
    NP = 64C
    No cooler = 68C

For some reason the Mid and Min fan speed didn't really make a difference in the temperature.

Conclusion
    From the results it is safe to say that the does a better job at cooling my notebook than the old NP. And also making a large difference when the CPU is under load .

The old NP had the ''stability'' problem which meant that the notebook can tilt backward quite easily which obviously isn't a good thing. The Infinite on the other hand is lager tha the NP and th eback doesn't slop off like the NP therefore solves the problem. The cooling is also more effective as seen from the results. Having used the NP for over a year I have to say that Cooler Master have came up with a excellent product with many improvements over the original NotePal.

But one thing I am not too sure about is whether a 17'' wide screen notebook would actually fit properly on the Infinite, my Compaq is a 15.4'' 4:3 which has the depth of a 17'' widescreen but not the width obviously.

Pros:
    - Adjustable fan speed
    - Lighter than the NP
    - Effective overall cooling
    - 15.4'' fits wonderfully
    - Can be used on surfaces other than a desk (sofa, bed, etc)
    - No sharp edges

Cons:
    - Not as well build as the NP
    - Fan noise can get irritating on max fan speed
    - Currently unavaliable in the US and Europe (from what I can find in Google)

Sorry for any spelling error!
    Any mistakes please PM me and I will correct them!

Thanks for reading!

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny T View Post
    GREAT NEWS!!!

http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=154090

If you click on description and scroll down to the bottom it says the release date is 3rd Oct 2007 !!!!
    As per request here is a picture of the bottom of the cooler

Last edited by Johnny T; 5th October 2007 at 03:19 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: -Cooler Master Notepal Infinite∞ Review- Lots of pics:D

Great review. I hope I can buy this one online
    My first Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite A200-1M4
    Dual Core T2130(1.86GHz)
    2x1gig Crucial DDR2 667MHz,(upgrade)120GB 5400rpm SATA
    15.4 WXGA,DVD-Super-Multi
    Intel 943GML,802.11b/g, BT
    Vista Home Premium
    Edifier X600

Master Viking

Id like to see a head 2 head of this vs the ever so popular zalmans and see wich performs better. The zalmans is supposed to do alot of the same stuff and looks better in my opinion so it all comes down to performance!

I guess you dont have a video card to try comparing gpu temps with?

Forum Moderator

No for some reason I can get any temps from my Mobility Radeom 9700, I tried ATItraytool, ATI tools, and NHC....no good.

Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousXUSMC View Post
    Id like to see a head 2 head of this vs the ever so popular zalmans and see wich performs better. The zalmans is supposed to do alot of the same stuff and looks better in my opinion so it all comes down to performance!

I guess you dont have a video card to try comparing gpu temps with?

My friend just bought a ASUS G1S (like 30min ago) so maybe i can ask him to borrow his notebook to test as well Than that would include everything!

Notebook Retard
    At the office, getting paid to be on here (unofficially)

its actually a pretty good review. better then i was expecting i have to admit johnny
    I like summer. I sit back, relax take the phone off the hook and enjoy a nice cold beer. Then when i get home from work I also enjoy a dip in the pool.

If what i just said doesn't make sense to you it is either a typo or aussie slang.......if you want to look up aussie slang, click here

Banned

Good review.

As far as I know a lot of ATI's GPU can't monitor the temperature (I can't monitor my GPU temperature either).
    Life is a sexually transmitted disease

Sager NP5750 : 17" WXGA | Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 | 4GB Memory | 320GB 7200 RPM HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 | Windows 7 Professional
    Asus Eee 1005HA : 10.1" WSVGA | Intel Atom N280 | 2GB Memory | 160GB 5400 RPM HDD | Mobile Intel GMA 950 | Windows 7 Professional

Bananaed

It looks bigger than the Zalman, which is good for anything above 15.4"
    Samsung R65

Intel® Core™ Duo T2300 @ 1.66GHz
    SXGA @ 1024x768
    256MB Nvidia 7400 Go
    1GB DDR2 RAM @ 566MHz Bus
    Samsung 80Gb @ 5400RPM
    Zalman ZM-NC1000
    3dMark06 @ 950

Notebook Geek

I might just make a review of my own of the zalman nc-1000 for comparison reasons!

Forum Moderator

but then again we dont have the same notebook.....

Oh well! BRING IT ON! lol

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast